PDA

View Full Version : Another Multi-monitor Problem

AndyT
07-06-2008, 05:56 AM
I have an ATI AGP dual head 1350XT and both heads work just fine.
I want to use the native VGA on the motherboard also but it's not giving me a signal of any kind. Anyone have any ideas?
I've been going around with this for a few days now.

This is all on a P4 2.4ghz 2GB RAM

salautom
07-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Hello Andy,

most motherboard onboard videoadapters won't work if there is an extra videocard inserted, so if you like more displays connected, you can buy an PCI videocard or use a Tripplehead2Go from Matrox.

But te be certain, you can give the specs of your motherboard.

Kennair
07-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Yep I agree with Henk. Most onboard video motherboards, as far as I know, will let you select onboard OR external card but not both. This is usually selected in the BIOS.

Ken.

Michael Carter
07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
If I were to pop in another video card in a PCI slot would the computer recognise it? I take it you can run two video cards at once on an XP machine?

I never knew this. Do the video cards have to be identical? I have one running in a PCIe slot now, so I'm all out of PCIe slots.

Mine is a dual core 4400 2.0 Mhz machine.

Trevor Hale
07-06-2008, 09:18 AM
If I were to pop in another video card in a PCI slot would the computer recognise it? I take it you can run two video cards at once on an XP machine?

I never knew this. Do the video cards have to be identical? I have one running in a PCIe slot now, so I'm all out of PCIe slots.

Mine is a dual core 4400 2.0 Mhz machine.

BSW, you could install 3 video cards in the same machine if you like.

They do not have to be the same anything, however with that being said to avoid conflicts I would suggest that you keep them "ALL NVIDIA" or "ALL ATI" so your drives stay happy.

Trev

tasmanet
07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Can new PCI Video cards still be purchased ??? :cool:

Trevor Hale
07-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Absolutely YES!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=319&name=PCI-Video-Cards

warvet
07-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes I agree with Trev 100%, I currently have 3 vid cards stacked operating together in several machines and 2 together in others and they work fine. JMT

Tim
A340
Canada

BHawthorne
07-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Can new PCI Video cards still be purchased ??? :cool:

I was very surprised after digging around, but Sparkle makes an 8-series PCI card that uses the G86 chip with 256MB or 512MB of memory. I could have sworn the last PCI cards were 6-series, but it looks like some are still making them even with pretty current chip sets. PCI + DX10? I wouldn't have thought that was an option, but I guess it is. It uses a bridge chip of some sort integrated into the card to use PCI.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=69&sub_id=160

Keep in mind that even though this is an 8-series video card, we're still dealing with PCI slot bandwidth and 128-bit memory interface on the card. It's not going to be a speed demon. I saw a few reviews where it looks to bench better than the more common 6200 PCI cards though. It still boggles my mind that this is a vista ready PCI video card.

AndyT
07-07-2008, 03:20 AM
Yes, I was guessing the MoBo would work that way. It's the BIOS because before I updated it I could run them that way. :mad:
I'm just going to have to add another card or get a TH2Go which is what I really want. Anyone have an extra TH2Go for sale cheap? :D