PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Projectors for Cockpits

jmig
06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Those of you who have researched this or have experience with projectors, what do you recommend for cockpits projectors.

Generally speaking, I figure most of use will not have the room to get the long throws movie watchers want. I know in my cockpit/bedroom I can get maybe 5' between projector and screen. Using mirrors I could increase this, but will I lose definition and sharpness at the longer magnification?

Will lighting be an issue for us with short throws? The shorter the throw the more light projected on the screen.

So, which of the many under $1000 projectors will be best for us?

aviaparts
06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
John,

Last week I did a test with a Sanyo PLC-XL50 ultra short throw projector, I was really surprised about it's qualities. The projector can be placed right under the projection wall (or whatever you use for screen). You have an image of 142 by 104 cm, really clear and good pixellage.
This is the type of projector I will use on my setup (3 of them)

Reccomendations if you use this type of projector is to use a hard screen, simple whiteboard is just fine, reason for this is that as the projector is placed richt in front of the screen, the surface has to be perfect flat.
This projector is not suited for curved applications

The projector can be placed or hanged.

It is not under 1000 USD, but very good value for it's quality.

BHawthorne
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
It really depends upon what you're trying to achieve. My goals were dual or triple and cost effective. I puchased 2 InFocus SP5000. I wouldn't recommend this projector specificly, just the fact that 2 720p projectors at around $500 does the job for me in horizontal span mode. It ends up being 16:5 aspect which is plenty of surround when scaled. The problem is getting far enough throw to get good height size on the projection. I'm looking into first surface mirror ideas on that. 1024x768 projectors might be better ratio for throw.