PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Annunciators

brianwilliamson
06-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Finally got the annunciators designed and tested for the A320 overhead. This was a major problem of getting something to work that was simple and cheap. As we know the real ones are prohibitive unless you find an unattended Airbus somewhere that is completely unattended !
The major cost for these, are the leds which are 3mm. hi-intensity ones. The rest is mainly labour and engraving.
Here is the results:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/bwillo_photo/APU-ANNUNCIATORS.jpg

ivar hestnes
06-15-2008, 02:53 PM
You did a great job. Very nice:)

Joe Cygan
06-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Awesome Brian!

Matt Olieman
06-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Nice work Brian!!!! As always :) :) :)

How did you make the annunciators?

Matt O.

brianwilliamson
06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Here you are Matt. This is an early photo, but gives the idea of how to do it
Cheers...................Brian W.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/bwillo_photo/APU-ANNUNCIATORS-howto.jpg

Matt Olieman
06-15-2008, 04:20 PM
That is slick Brian :) :) :)

Is the aluminum square stock size and how did you do the dual lighting? Oh, and what button are you using.

I'll be rebuilding my overhead, and will be making my own annunciators.

Matt Olieman

brianwilliamson
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Matt, the buttons I am not sure where I got those, as I bought them some years ago, but any cheap buttons will do as long as you can fit the 2 leds onto some perf board ( 2.54mm. holes spacing) and the push the 19 mm. suare tube over the lot. This is mainly to stop light spread from the indicators. The 2 leds will have better visibility if you use 2mm thick Opal under the engraved annunciator top, and as it is glued onto the switch, you do not get any bleed over.
The squre al. tube is stock 19 mm. OD X 1.25 thick, which is pretty close to the real dimensions.
Hope this helps.
Cheers....................Brian W.

phil744
06-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow, they look really good and so simple aswell, top job Brian:D

Matt Olieman
06-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Excellent information Brian, a BIG THANKS!!!!! :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

Michael Carter
06-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Look really great! Factory fresh as they say. ;)

Devils_48
02-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Very nice job !! but how you print the text on the button, do you use a special program or only on paint ?

warvet
02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah Brian i was wondering same thing. Also how exactly did you create the spacing between the LEDS so theres no bleed onto the other side when its lit. FDS used a plastic box that was divided in half with a middle spacer then 2 holes underneath each chamber section to house each LED. Then a middle hole for the switch. Could you be so kind Brian as to provide a more detailed bulding process to follow including the labeling.

Thanks in Advance
In the event I may consider rebuilding another airbus OVHD (Right Matt ;) LOL
Tim

brianwilliamson
02-13-2009, 03:05 AM
http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3722
When you place the 2 leds either side of the switch, no bleed through.
The plate for the lettering is clear plastc, painted black and engraved in reverse. Then glued to the white backer.
Hope this helps....................Brian W.

warvet
02-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Brian what did you use as an engaving process and what material did you use for the lens?

Tim

brianwilliamson
02-13-2009, 03:57 AM
CNC machine for enraving, plastic for backer...........you are up late !!
...............Brian W.

warvet
02-13-2009, 06:00 AM
LOL Ya Brian thats what happens when you own a couple companies, while the employees sleep soundly the boss burns the candle at both ends lol. Thank you so much my friend for taking the time to answer such mundane questions especially from such a talented and gifted builder as yourself Brian. I have always watched your project with great admiration and of course being an Airbus makes it even more interesting. Thank you again your info is definitely first rate. Best of luck.

Tim

sstusek
02-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Hi, I took different approach to it. I`m molding korry replicas. Legends are 3 layer laser prints on selfe adhesive sheet and 2mm plexiglass. Inside are cheap 5mm konkave LED lights from christmas tree lights :).