PDA

View Full Version : MIP Layout

JSpahn
06-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Hello guys & gals,

Since the release of the Sim_Avionics software I have been mulling over ripping my pit apart and starting from scratch with a non-generic design, The 777 looks like where I want to start. There are a few of sources were I can get a pre-fab MIP but I would like to fabricate one of my own. Too pricey at the moment

Is a resource available where I can get the dimensions for the MIP and other elements? I would like to simulate the captains side. My motivation is to keep the dimensions exact so I can use third party panels, which have nice back lighting.

Best,
John

Jackpilot
06-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Start with the panels(buy them) and build your MIP around them..
NOT the other way around.

And take the monitor size that you choose into consideration too.
After that the MIP is a breeze to figure out especially if you want it generic.

DAL900
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Also, if you plan on using "real" "korry's" , toggles and switches, remember they extend out 2-3" depending on what type the are. If the korrys are near the display (LCD screen) and you are not planning on buying 6 small displays (757/767) http://www.projectb737ng.com/193_9379.JPG you may have to move them over to make room for a lcd screen see example here http://www.projectb737ng.com/wire%20mip3.jpg . Fortunately when I had my 737 I didn't have to move the korry's or switches, I was able to drop the lcd down into the sub frame. Now that I am doing a 757/767 I will not be using real korrys, I will only be losing the "press to test" function. By using an after market simulated korry, I will be able to mount it so that the back will be flush against the lcd screen with only the thickness of the wire between the MIP and lcd.

Lewis Simmons
06-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I am designing a full 777 cockpit at the moment so if you hang on for a week or so, I should have a 777 MIP design that I can send to you.

It might take a bit longer as I am planning to head over to the Air New Zealand 777 simulator to get a whole lot of measurements.

JSpahn
06-14-2008, 08:25 PM
That would be awesome:), Im in no rush right now, my vacation is coming up and work has been busy.

What kind of monitors are you planning on using? I have 4 12.1" lcd panels but 15's are inexpensive enough these days.

Lewis Simmons
06-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Im looking to use the same. Basically once the design is finished I do a virtual test fit of the monitors and then start work (virtually) on fastening the monitors so that once the structure is sent to be cut, I will have pretty much everything sorted.

Jackpilot
06-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Lewis
777 or 787

?????????

Lewis Simmons
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Ha through a verbal agreement with a company I can't tell you what is happening at the moment but for a very important reason the 787 design is slowing down and the 777 racing ahead.

But I will try and get a pic of the new 777 MIP design within the next 24 hours.

Michael Carter
06-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Also, if you plan on using "real" "korry's" , toggles and switches, remember they extend out 2-3" depending on what type the are. If the korrys are near the display (LCD screen) and you are not planning on buying 6 small displays (757/767) http://www.projectb737ng.com/193_9379.JPG you may have to move them over to make room for a lcd screen see example here http://www.projectb737ng.com/wire%20mip3.jpg . Fortunately when I had my 737 I didn't have to move the korry's or switches, I was able to drop the lcd down into the sub frame. Now that I am doing a 757/767 I will not be using real korrys, I will only be losing the "press to test" function. By using an after market simulated korry, I will be able to mount it so that the back will be flush against the lcd screen with only the thickness of the wire between the MIP and lcd.

What he said. The Korry indicators and the APD are actually helping to hold the 17" monitor in place in my 727. It's tighter than Presley's pants behind the panel and I was darn lucky the monitor frame wasn't any larger than it was or I'd still be flying a desktop with a 727 MIP with empty instrument holes.

The engine stack is another matter entirely. I have a guy in California perusing through thousands of monitors to find the correct size for me all because I will not part with the original indicators.

It'll probably cost me my first-born.

makoy
06-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Hello guys & gals,

Since the release of the Sim_Avionics software I have been mulling over ripping my pit apart and starting from scratch with a non-generic design, The 777 looks like where I want to start. There are a few of sources were I can get a pre-fab MIP but I would like to fabricate one of my own. Too pricey at the moment

Is a resource available where I can get the dimensions for the MIP and other elements? I would like to simulate the captains side. My motivation is to keep the dimensions exact so I can use third party panels, which have nice back lighting.

Best,
John

Hi John,

I have start to make triple7 also and got dimensions from this great page.
www.project777.com , downloads

Marco

JSpahn
06-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks I got it bookmarked;)