06-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi All,

I'm no Einstein when it comes to graphics cards, so I could use some input:

I'm currently using FS9 (no add-ons) on winXP, running 5 monitors:
3 upper via TH2G on a 256 MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE
2 lower on a BFG Geforce 6200OC 256MB
PC: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2.13 GHz, 2GB ram
It all works well, but:

I'd like to install FSX, still on winXP, and some add-ons in the way of scenery,
but don't have power enough for that, so I'm shopping for a bigger PC.

I'm looking at a Core 2 E8500 3.16Ghz, 4GB ram.
with a nvidia geforce 8800GT 512MB card

MY QUESTION IS THIS:
I'm planning to take the 6200OC card from the old PC and add it to the new.
It's not the biggest, but it only has to run 2D cockpit panel and GPS on the lower monitors.
Does it matter for the performance of the primary card what the secondary card is?

If you have experience with FSX on a similar system to the one I'm looking at, I'd like to hear bout that as well.

mgdaviso
06-11-2008, 04:47 AM
It matters not one jot.

I run my instruments on an OOOLLLDDD Matrox 128Mb Card. If you are only rendering instruments then it's going to be fine - assuming that you can fit it to your new MOBO.

My experience of this is only with FS9 mind, so I can't comment on FSX. HTH

Just to clarfiy - what type of cards are they? AGP/PCI/PCIe ?

jytte
06-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Thank you much, that's what I thougt.

Yes, there's room on the mobo, it's a PCI.

It's a brand new card so it would be a shame to waste it :D

jytte
06-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm still not sure bout FSX, but reading posts about it doesn't seem to help, there's just as many opinions as there are people it seems :lol:

I'm just gonna go down and get one (FSX that is), install and see if I like it. I can always go back to FS9.

I'd still like to hear from people with a similar setup as the new one I'm looking at though.

jytte
06-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I would like to add a question though.

When I initially added the TH2G and the extra monitors
(on the older PC, went from 1 card + 2 monitors, to 2 cards + 5 monitors)
I had a huge drop in FPS.

Since I did it all at once, I don't know which part of the change caused the big drop (apart from the obvious fact that the PC is too small :().

So I'd like to hear from others with similar setups, where they experienced a drop if any.

thanx

brynjames
06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Since I did it all at once, I don't know which part of the change caused the big drop (apart from the obvious fact that the PC is too small :().

You can find out how much difference the TH2GO is making by setting the desktop resolution to 1280x1024 instead of 3840x1024. Then start FS with the new smaller outside view. Alternatively, just change the FS resolution in Options/Settings/Display/Hardware to the lower resolution, and FS display will just appear on one monitor.

On my system I get about 20fps at full resolution and 30fps on the single screen.

For your new machine: I have heard of folks having problems when the second graphics card is not the same "family" as the primary card - i.e. NVidia or ATI or Matrox. You could just try it and see if it works.

--
Bryn

jytte
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Thank you Bryn,

That's a great tip, I should have thought of that. Will try.

I've heard about the "family problem too", but since they're both geforce, and it works in my old PC (having a hard time calling a 1.5year old darn good PC "old"), I figure it should work, just not sure if a lesser card would influence a better one.

I've also heard that there's an issue with ATI cards for the TH2G, so I've staid clear of those. Like the nvidia geforce better anyway (from my very limited knowledge.

percy
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I have two video cards both Nvidia one is a 8800 GTS 512 and the other is a 8800 GTS 640 and I run one projector and three monitors, I did not notice any drop in frame rates with the second card. I only loaded one set of drivers I do not know how you would use two cards that required two sets of different drivers. I am feeding these cards with a Q6600 cpu clocked at 2.94 ghz. Vista and FSX.

jytte
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Percy,

Great info. Might I ask you FSP? and are you running any add-ons?

I never had any problem with drivers, just made sure I had the latest one.

jytte
06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I've got a choice here between:

Core 2 E8500 3.16Mhz 6MB 1333FSB and
Core 2 Q6600 2.4Mhz 8MB 1066FSB

which would be faster/better?

I wouldn't be able to benefit from the quad with winXP, would I?

percy
06-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Have GXE ,UTX and active sky.
With PMDG 747 clear day with a couple of clouds pushing 28 to 29,( Max set to 30)(projector outside and 19 in lcd flt inst on one card and eng, fmc on a 15 inch crt off of second card.) and landing at ksfo 28R 20 to 24 on apr, on runway 20+. I have sliders about 1/2 way a couple at max. Rarely drop below 20.

jytte
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks again.

I just ran a test, didn't have to change the settings, just shifted between windowed (on 1) and full screen (over 3).

running windowed, on 1 screen: 24 FPS (it's locked at 24, might have gotten more)
running full screen, on 3 screens: 14 FPS (ouch)
running full screen with panel+GPS moved down, on 5 screens: 10FSP (OUCH)

this is with all settings maxed out (for testing purpose)

So now I'm a lot wiser :p and know I need a bigger PC

jytte
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
just changed the "locked at" to 40
now I get 28 FPS in windowed on 1s
guess that's the max on this setup.

percy
06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I am using Asus mother board formula maximus with q6600. I use asus AI suite to over clock and monitor the cpu, what is nice is that the only time the cpu is clocked higher is when it is needed, like with FSX, the AI suite also show the individule cpu usage(if correct all 4 cpus are used). I have found for around 200 bucks this cpu is worth its weight in gold.