PDA

View Full Version : 737NG update pics

DanGeorge
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Hello again,

Here are some latest photos of my 737NG sim.
- The landing gear lever arrived from FDS this week and I managed to get it up and running within minutes thanks to their Sys3 interface board. I'm loving the feel and look of using a "real" landing gear lever instead of my old Go-flight one! :-)
- Have finished building the co-pilot panel and most of the side wall (except for wiring LEDs, switches etc) - I have another 17inch TFT monitor arriving soon from ebay to put behind the PFDs, this will just be a duplicate of the captains display (I've not got PM's co-pilot software).
Oh, and I built myself a seat out of some MDF and some sheets of foam!

I'm planning on maybe putting a monitor in both the side windows to give me a side view (I havent got enough space in my attic for side projection - those darn roof struts and beams are getting in the way, don't think I should mess with them!!). I'm guessing I should be able to do that with a triplehead2go?? Any ideas? - can I just undock the side FS/PMDG views and drag them where I want them?

Cheers,

Dan

phil744
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Sweet setup!!, when can I pop round and take it for a spin?

Michael Carter
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Very nice setup there. Bet it flies great too.

droddis
06-04-2008, 05:30 AM
I can't wait to get some panels in my sim. Looks great.

David

Tomlin
06-04-2008, 08:31 AM
What's so neat about this project is that it shows (just like Mike's and others) that even with limited room, we can still usually MAKE a way to have a full size sim, even if it's just half the aircraft!

Way to go, it's looking really grand there!

Padraig
06-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Your doing a great job with building your sim Dan George. Looking forward to future updates.

mpl330
06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Looking good Dan!

I did the same as you and have only "mirrored" the Captains PFD onto the F/O side with a Y vga lead - my view was that most of the time I will be on my own and if I have a guest then at least they will see something...

Mike

Kennair
06-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Nice setup Dan. Is that a homemade seat or a modified car seat?

Ken.

Trevor Hale
06-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm jealous.. GRRRR Why didn't I pick a 737 LMAO.

Tomlin
06-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm jealous.. GRRRR Why didn't I pick a 737 LMAO.

....because maybe you:

Like flying into even smaller airports?
Like flying an aircraft that is different?
Like how responsive and 'hot rod' like a business jet is compared to an airliner?
Like how you can park right at the front door of the FBO instead of at a gate?
Like the Falcon a ton!

:-)

DanGeorge
06-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Nice setup Dan. Is that a homemade seat or a modified car seat?

Ken.

Hi Ken,
Yes, its a homemade seat. I got the plans from the flightsim.com "how to" section and based it roughly on those and then covered it with 2inch foam and grey fake sheepskin type material. Took about a day to make, still need to figure out some sort of rails to get it to slide back and forward though and maybe put armrests on it.
Will get around to making another one soon for the co-pilot side.

Dan

Trevor Hale
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
....because maybe you:

Like flying into even smaller airports?
Like flying an aircraft that is different?
Like how responsive and 'hot rod' like a business jet is compared to an airliner?
Like how you can park right at the front door of the FBO instead of at a gate?
Like the Falcon a ton!

:-)

ROFL Thanks Eric... I needed that LOL and your 100% right. I enjoy climbing out at a rate twice that of a 73.. LOL

I remember during World flight, having to be told to slow down, and slow down, for the darn Boeing's in front of me LOL

Kennair
06-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Ken,
Yes, its a homemade seat. I got the plans from the flightsim.com "how to" section and based it roughly on those and then covered it with 2inch foam and grey fake sheepskin type material. Took about a day to make, still need to figure out some sort of rails to get it to slide back and forward though and maybe put armrests on it.
Will get around to making another one soon for the co-pilot side.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I was looking at building seats based on the same plans. Looking at using furniture castors embedded in timber rails for movement. There was a post in the forums somewhere suggesting how to do this. I've got car seats at the moment but they're too wide.

Ken.

Michael Carter
06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/mycrewseat59.jpg

Kennair
06-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes that is an awesome seat Mike. I watched your progress on it eagerly, but how are you mounting it i.e. what rails?

Ken.

DanGeorge
06-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Fantastic seat Mike, I think you should get the award for best homemade seat! :-) Don't suppose you want to pop over here to England and build me a couple of them!!?? :D

Michael Carter
06-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks Dan. It was an interesting build and I learned how to sew.

It's not mounted yet. Since my FS computer is also my internet and task computer, this chair sits in the FO position until I decide to fly. I then change places with the office chair when it's time to fly.

Until I can get the simulator isolated and get away from this computer for routine tasks and the internet this is the arrangement I have to use for now.

The plus side is that I'm always sitting in the cockpit. Just not always in that chair. :D

DanGeorge
03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello everyone,

Its been literally years (about 2!!) since I last posted an update on my B737NG project in my attic.

I've been slowly building it up and adding more and more bits to it. This is what I've done since my last update:
- I've almost completely re-built the internal linings - side walls, CDU bay and overhead since my first attempt. I found a supplier of PVC foam board on ebay to use as a lining and building material - its great to use, you can bend and mould it using a heat gun, cut it with a craft knife and its nice and solid.
- The Engravity CDU has been joined by a "dummy" CDU from Opencockpits and a lower EICAS screen installed.
- Forward overhead from Poldragonet was installed last year. I've wired and interfaced it using Ian Sissons great tutorials on his website - I couldn't have done it without all the tips and great ideas on his amazing website (Thank you Ian!). Very impressed with the quality and value of the Poldragonet panels.
- I recently removed the goflight TQ and have replaced it with a motorized TQ from Revolution simproducts. I highly recommend saving up the huge amount of cash and getting one, its fantastic and the support from Oral at Revolution has been amazing (he spent about 2 and half hours remotely configuring it over the internet one night!!).
- The next job is to build the pedestal unit. I received a nav, comm and transponder plug & play module from Opencockpits last week. The rest of the panels are coming from Poldragonet (I've ordered their kit - seemed to be the cheapest way of getting the complete pedestal). I'l build the pedestal bay myself using the PVC foam board previously mentioned.

The final thing I want to get sorted is the outside visuals. I've just got one projector at the moment and quite limited space. I'm thinking about either replacing this with a short throw projector to just get a bigger image out front. OR, go for 3 x 32inch LCD TV's through a triplehead2go. Anyone got any suggestions??

Anyway, attached should be some photos...

Happy flying!
Dan

Efe Cem Elci
03-11-2011, 06:26 PM
The final thing I want to get sorted is the outside visuals. I've just got one projector at the moment and quite limited space. I'm thinking about either replacing this with a short throw projector to just get a bigger image out front. OR, go for 3 x 32inch LCD TV's through a triplehead2go. Anyone got any suggestions??

Perhaps a spherical mirror might do the job, shortening the throw distance without having to dish out the additional $$$ for a short throw.

Kennair
03-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi Dan, must feel good to be back on the building trail? Looks like some fine progress too. As for your visuals dilemma, take a look at this FDS video showing 3 x 60" LCD's (or maybe they're Plasma's?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-xFsAaiVo

Ideal for space limited situations and you also get the clarity and daylight viewing ability only available with monitors. With the cost of these monitors coming down lately you should be able to fit your sim out for less than 3 projectors not to mention the lack of need for the screen realestate! This is the direction I will be taking.

Ken.

DanGeorge
03-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks Ken, I think the 3 LCD monitor route is the only way for me to go with my space restrictions - at least then I'll be able to get a fairly wide field of view too.

Cheers,
Dan

DanGeorge
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Another update!

The pedestal panel kit arrived yesterday from Poldragonet - less than 2 weeks after I ordered it. I know a few people on here have had issues with them regarding communication etc, but I have never had a problem at all. I've always found them to be very easy to deal with and Jakub has always kept me updated with my order process along the way. Best of all, they are exceptional value for money, AND very good quality. My kit came with every switch, LED, annunciator, knob etc that you need.

I've installed some Opencockpit radio modules into the panel to use as the "working" panels (NAV, COMM & XPNDR), the rest of the Poldragonet panels will be dummy ones, although I will wire up the audio panels and assign the buttons to various FS functions.

I've built a pedestal bay myself using PVC foam board.

The photo's show it temporarily in place in the cockpit - I need to get it all wired up and backlit.
Once that's done I've got some new carpet to stick down and some rails to put in for the seat, then I'm almost done! - Oh, except for building another seat, installing a tiller and sorting out the outside visuals and probably a million other little things... Not sure it'll ever be "really" finished!! :roll:

nax228
03-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Nice kit.
And yes... it never seems to stop. Always another upgrade possible.

Joe Cygan
03-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Looks great!

Nick1150
03-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Great job ;)

Thanks for updating :)

JWS
03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Nice,

the fire panel looks interesting. Did you assemble this for the picture? Was there a manual/guide?

JWS

DanGeorge
03-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi JWS,

The fire panel is supplied in bits, ready for self assembly. You just have to glue the fire handles together and attach the switches/annunciators. I've yet to wire up the switches and LED's (all of these parts are supplied). As with all of Poldragonet's products there are now instructions or manual but I have to say it was very easy to put together - took me about 10 minutes I think!

Kind regards,
Dan

JWS
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks Dan,

if no instructions, how did you find out where to put which annunciator?

Maybe I'll try to contact them once more.

Best regards,

JWS

PS Do you have lighting in the handles as well? How are you going to interface?

DanGeorge
03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi JWS,

I just looked at a diagram from a real B737NG manual, or photo's off the internet. I built the poldragonet overhead panel in the same way! I can email you a copy of the pedestal/fire panel diagram if you like.

The handles don't have a facility to be lit, although you could probably mod them and insert a few LED's in there. I'm probably going to only have the fire panel working in test mode although I might at a later date try and interface the switches via FSUIPC and PMDG.

Kind regards,

Dan

JWS
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi JWS,

I can email you a copy of the pedestal/fire panel diagram if you like.

Well, if it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate a PM. Not in a hurry, just whenever you have a moment.

Thanks.

Best regards,
JWS

DanGeorge
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi JWS,

Whats your email address? I'm not sure if I can attach images to a PM? Unless I'm not looking in the right area!

Kind regards, Dan

Bug738
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Very very nice setup.

BTW: I have similar space problems in my setup and therefore decided to use 3 32" TFTs with a TH2Go. I still think that was the right decision for me.

Regarding your experience with Poldragonet, I can confirm this. The price/performance ratio is extremely good. One should not expect an FDS level of quality but for me it's absolutely sufficient. My experience with their service is also quite good, especially when there is a need to exchange a part that has been damaged during the transport...

Best regards,
Michael

JWS
03-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi JWS,
I'm not sure if I can attach images to a PM?

Yes you can, Dan ;-)

When you open the PM window you'll see a task bar (just like the one you see when you reply to a thread on the forum) with icons that allow you to insert E-mail link (envelop), Image or Video.

Best regards,
JWS