PDA

View Full Version : Using DVI out's and S-Video

Michael Carter
05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I haven't had much luck finding anything about this on the web nor at the ATI site.

Is anyone here using both DVI outputs and the S-Video output at the same time on an ATI based card?

Mine is the X1950GT and I'm currently using both DVI outputs for my instrument panel and outside view.

I'd like to use the S-Video to run to a 37" HDTV for watching movies from the computer. I don't have the TV yet to try this.

There is a menu selection in the ATI program that says "Force TV Detection" but I don't know if this is used when the S-video port is hooked up or if it's for the DVI outputs. I don't want to screw anything up with the way the displays are running now.

Can all three of these outputs be used at once?

Paul G
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Firstly you need to check whether you CAN use both DVIs and the TV out. From what I understand, you're looking to use these as 3 separate outputs. I know nothing about your video card, but I do know that some cards do not allow 3 separate simultaneous outputs, although you can have 3 devices connected.

The force TV detection I think is a feature where if you start the computer and don't already have a TV connected, it will stop looking for one after a while. If you subsequently connect one, you have to use this 'detection' feature to get the video card to scan for a TV again, as an alternative to restarting the computer.

You could always set up an independent system for running movies. I wouldn't necessarily want to drive that from you simulator computer as it will draw some of the electrical and processing power.

Good luck.

paul

Michael Carter
05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks Paul. I think it would be easier to just by a new DVD player.

Paul G
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Just call it an in-flight entertainment system though. It will make you feel better about it.