PDA

View Full Version : PC for CDU

paulj
05-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi folks,

One of my old pc's has died and gone to the great junkyard in the sky and I now find myself with nothing to run the PM cdu on.
I've got a homemade (Marius pcb) cdu so I only need to run the cdu software miniaturized. Has anyone run the cdu software with other PM software on the same machine? I'm thinking maybe running it with the mcp software.
Now that I don't have hardware for yet so I would need to run the mcp in a window.
I tried running the cdu with the pfd/nd but I don't think I can run two opengl programs on the same graphic card, and I lose my pfd/nd when the cdu starts up.

Any suggestions comments etc...?

thanks

Paul

PaulEMB
05-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Paul,

I ran the MCP & CDU programmes on 1 pc quite happily for some time - however, I have an FDS CDU/PSOne, also MCP hardware, so am running on 2 monitors - CDU full screen on the PSOne, and the MCP graphic on a screen at the front of the sim. This using an Nvidia oldish card with SVideo and normal outputs.

The only problem is to make sure the CDU window is active after start up.

Running both programmes on one monitor I have not tried, but I think the problem would be ensuring the one you want to use is the active window.

Hope this is of some use - give it a try!

mauriceb
05-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I run the Eicas & the CDU on the same PC with no problems (almost). The main grief I find is that sometimes the Eicas is the active window and sometimes the CDU is after I boot up. So, if the Eicas is the active window, the CDU keys do no work until I go to the PC and click on the minimized CDU icon (twice) to make it the active window. Hope this makes sense to you because it does not make sense to me (especially the 'twice' part :-)

I'm sure there is a way to get around this, but I haven't had the time or inclination to find it. I just learned to live with that little grief now & then. By the way, I use realVNC to access that PC from my control PC so it's not that big a deal.

I definitely would not try the CDU sofware on the same PC where the MCP software resides unless you also had a hardware MCP since the 'f'ocus' can only be on one program (like was is happening to me with my CDU & Eicas)

More confused now? :-)

Maurice

Trevor Hale
05-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi folks,

One of my old pc's has died and gone to the great junkyard in the sky and I now find myself with nothing to run the PM cdu on.
I've got a homemade (Marius pcb) cdu so I only need to run the cdu software miniaturized. Has anyone run the cdu software with other PM software on the same machine? I'm thinking maybe running it with the mcp software.
Now that I don't have hardware for yet so I would need to run the mcp in a window.
I tried running the cdu with the pfd/nd but I don't think I can run two opengl programs on the same graphic card, and I lose my pfd/nd when the cdu starts up.

Any suggestions comments etc...?

thanks

Paul

Hey Paul. I run Pmsystems, and CDU on the same Computer, without issue.

Trev

paulj
05-10-2008, 09:57 AM
thanks for the replies guys.
I should have mentioned that the cdu is using a psone screen via the composite tv out on the card. That's what I meant by running miniaturized.
Guess I'll try what Maurice has done and run it on the EICAS pc.

Paul

Trevor Hale
05-10-2008, 10:54 AM
thanks for the replies guys.
I should have mentioned that the cdu is using a psone screen via the composite tv out on the card. That's what I meant by running miniaturized.
Guess I'll try what Maurice has done and run it on the EICAS pc.

Paul

Thats the same way I run mine, but like I said, on the pmsystems machine.

oal331
05-11-2008, 03:09 AM

Trev

Hi Trevor,

as PmSystems demands a lot o CPU's power, does not sffect this the CDU's performance?
Or not because you running it minimize?
What specs has this pc?

Thanks

Eddie Armaos

mpl330
05-11-2008, 03:41 AM

Trev

Me too...
PSone screen on the tv out, no need to but I do also have a 15" screen on the "normal" vga out just to see if pmsystems is up and running & trouble shooting if necessary.

All seems to work fine so far...
Cheers
Mike

Trevor Hale
05-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Me too...
PSone screen on the tv out, no need to but I do also have a 15" screen on the "normal" vga out just to see if pmsystems is up and running & trouble shooting if necessary.

All seems to work fine so far...
Cheers
Mike

Funny Mike, I do the same thing. I run a 15" crt outside of the sim, only to view PMsystems and it's status. I also use this machine to VNC all the other machines in the simulator.

The machine that runs pmsystems and the cdu is an Athalon XP1700. with 700MB or Ram. Nothing major, I am running an ATI Radion 7000 card in the machine. Everything runs quite smoothly, but you are right, when the sim is running PMsystems is minimized and the cdu is active on the Composite output on the card.

Trev

michelmvd
05-11-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm running my Capt GC (PFD/ND) and the Capt's CDU on the same pc ( AMD6000 / 1024 mb ram)
CDU is connected to Engravity cdu.
Both program's are running smoothly.
B. rgds
Michel

warvet
05-11-2008, 10:58 AM
I run my 1 of my Pm sounds and my FCU on 1 cpu and I run Pm Systems and PFD/ND on another and CDU and Phidgets and Wazzup and Instructor staion and quickmap PM on another and no cross issues at all. I think its probably the combination you choose that will be better or worse. Hope this helps.

Tim
A340