PDA

View Full Version : An Inexpensive Cessna Panel Look-a-like

steve34613
03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I found a inexpensive Cessna Look-a-like Avionics Panel from
Desktop Aviator http://www.desktopaviator.com
Looks pretty good for the money. Come check it out.

(Edited by administrator to make the link work)

dodiano
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow! This is a very nice panel for Cessna Enthusiasts!! Very nice any idea on price??

Thanks.

Roberto

Capt Bobby
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
The Desktop Aviator's Cessna Panel sells for $95.00 + Shipping.
They also came out with a NAV/COM Radio Panel for less then $100.00USD

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Panel/Model_2010/index.htm

I'm told an Autopilot is also on its way. Also for less then $100.00

Nice price!

AndyT
06-29-2007, 11:52 PM
I have the starter switch panel (1010) from them and it is a quality product.

The radio panel does NOT change the displayed freqs! It only changes them in FS. Be sure and read carefully the disclaimers they have posted.

Capt Bobby
06-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Well, I really do not have a problem with the "Look" or "Performance" of their NAV/COM Radio. I love flight simming, but like many other simmers out there, I do not have an extra $300.00 just lying around the house for GoFlight's panel. All I need is an quality; yet inexpensive panel that allows me to change the frequencies.

It's not a problem for me to have to look at the FS Radio Display to see the frequencies that I've just changes. I need the window anyway to display other important aspects of my flight; DME, Iden, Autopilot ect.

And, besides; Desktop Aviator's NAV/COM Radio Panel is a heck of a lot better then clicking a mouse to tune-in ATC. When was the last time a pilot brought a mouse on board his Cessna?

AndyT
06-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I use GoFlight also. $300 for a radio? Someone is ripping you off. They are half that.

Capt Bobby
06-30-2007, 09:44 PM
You are talking about GoFlight's "GF-166 Radio Panel" selling for $149.00.

The GF-166 can be configured for EITHER a Navigation Radio or a Communication Radio. In order for the GoFlight to control Both NAV/Com Active and Standby Frequencies, you will need 2 panels, hence the price tag of $300.00. Desktop's NAV/COM Panel controls all that for less then $100.00

Besides, Desktop Aviator's Panel looks a lot better then theirs.

I also see from their website that GoFlight came out with their own version of Desktop's Aviators Model 1040 Skylane Throttle Quadrant. GoFlight is selling theirs for $299.95. Desktop Aviator's Model 1040HiRES sells for $169.00. The Model 1040 (lower Resolution) sells for $125.00

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Panel/Throttle/index.htm

I still say that Desktop Aviator has the better panels for a price any flight simmer will appreciate.

Whether you like GoFlight or Desktop Aviator, it all depends on how much cash you are willing to spend and how fancy you want your flight deck to look.

andarlite
07-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Actually the GF-166 can function both as a Com and a Nav. I'm using one with the Level D 767 and it functions as the Com and ILS. When used for the ILS, you can also tune the course with it. I also have the RP48 and I programmed 2 of its buttons to use the Gf166 as the ADF and Transponder. So you can do quite bit with just one GF166.

I would rather pay the extra to have the frequencies (and course / transponder code) display on the unit rather than the monitor.

AndyT
07-01-2007, 03:06 AM
the GoFlight radio panel can be both at the same time. I have 1 and I use it as Com 1 and 2 and also Nav 1 and 2 all at the same time.

But Desktop Aviator has some good stuff at good prices.

magicaldr
07-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Well I emailed them a short while back and got a very quick and polite response on the costs to post to the UK. Unit is now on order and I will let everyone know how it handles when it gets here :)

magicaldr
07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Well I also now have my panel, and it is very well put together. I love the unit, although the switch click annoyed the other half after I spent all evening turning lights on and off... :rolleyes:

I am going to take some photos and write up a full review this weekend in case anyone else is considering one.

As an aside I noticed this evening that they have just launched the 1010B. Similar to the 1010, but all the positions on the Mags key switch work. On the 1010 its only start and off that do. Wish I had waited for the 1010B, but didn't know it was coming. Still the 1010 I have is as I say a quality product, even with the customs charges on top its still excellent value.

Also these guys just excel at customer service. After I was concerned that mine was lost in the mail they stayed in touch trying to sort it all out. Quick, polite replies even on a Sunday evening. Very impressive. In the end it was just waiting in customs here in the UK, but I got the feeling the staff at the other end cared about my order and would do all they could to sort out my problems.

AndyT
07-19-2007, 11:39 PM
I've never had any trouble with them. They sell a quality product. I would like greater functionality built into them since I know it can be done but then the price would increase by a fair amount.

I do plan on getting 3 of the throttle sliders to finish out my TQ.