PDA

View Full Version : Making a MCP etc Box

Lewis Simmons
05-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Hi,

For constructing a MCP box, do you think wood or metal?

I want realism, but what I also want is the ability to easily take the top of with a screwdriver and fix the hardware when needed.

Also, for every other frame around the aircraft, do you think timber or metal?

I think I got the basics of the construction for the MCP box but if anyone has any useful tips please PM me, greatly appreciated.

Michael Carter
05-04-2008, 07:24 AM
I would use sheet aluminum. You can use 3/16" or 1/4" square stock for the corners to screw the sheet aluminum to. Countersink all of the screw holes and use small flat head machine screws. Tap the square stock for the screws.

This makes a very sturdy box and still allows dis-assembly.

Boeing uses modules made in this fashion.

This is what I mean:

You can clearly see the aluminum square stock that makes up the chassis. The cover(s) are screwed to the supports. This is quite rigid even when the covers are off.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/SP506.jpg

oal331
05-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Aluminium is stroger, but more expensive than wood, and not so easy to work on it. Like aluminium, but with the same problems is the plexi. If you can make drawings with a cad and have someone to cut them, it's ok

With wood you can work better, you can cut it very very easy, in the dimensions you want, make openings, paint it ..............and you buy another piece if you do it wrong!!

Eddie Armaos

Michael Carter
05-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Aluminium is stroger, but more expensive than wood, and not so easy to work on it. Like aluminium, but with the same problems is the plexi. If you can make drawings with a cad and have someone to cut them, it's ok

With wood you can work better, you can cut it very very easy, in the dimensions you want, make openings, paint it ..............and you buy another piece if you do it wrong!!

Eddie Armaos

Measure twice, drill and cut once.

oal331
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Measure twice, drill and cut once.

Very nice saying, i will have it in my mind ;)

Eddie