PDA

View Full Version : A320 autopilot in comparison to 737

737aqua
05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Does the a320 have a more advanced A/P system than the 737NG? Discuss please.

Trevor Hale
05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes. 100% True.

The Airbus is completely a brain. you can't make the aircraft go outside of its limits. every movement is computed and calculated.

With the Boeing if you tell it to pitch up at 6000 ft per min it will until it stalls and kills everyone.

(In the real world)

Not in flightsim world though.

737aqua
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
THanks. Besides FBW, does the a320 autopilot have more sophisticated modes, etc than the 737NG? I'm thinking of lateral, vertical modes, etc...

Trevor Hale
05-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Vertically Inside the box yes. (behind the scenes) because you have no direct control over throttle. everything is calculated by Temp, and weight.

Laterally it is similar to the 737, however Bank angle is managed by the on board computers.

737aqua
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Ah, so you can't disengage the A/T on VNAV in the a320? Is that what you mean?

So, can you move the throttle in the a320 manually up and down like the Boeing? Sorry for the basic question.

Also, why does the Boeings Throttle move while airbus' doesn't? Why did they make that decision?

dodiano
05-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi there,

Airbus autopilot and Boeing autopilot are similar in every way... they use VANAV AND LNAD we used managed that takes on both... You can make the aircraft go outside the limits with the FCU or autopilot in the Airbus it will totally climb 6000 feet a min if you want it wonīt stall cause of the Alpha Floor protection and angle of attack protections and it will mantain a certain angle but it will keep climbing till you take control or take him out of his V/S MODE... Both Boeing and Airbus has the exact same modes only they are named different but the function is the same and Boeing has like a separate switch or knob for each function while Airbus has the pull and push Rotary encoder switches which perform 2 or even 3 functions it depends!

Trevor you do have direct control over the throttles... Totally actually it wouldnīt be certified if you didnīt if you take it out of itīs climb mode it becomes a regular throttle as any other plane and all control is direct... Weight and temperature inserted in the MCDU are for performance calculations, fuel prediction, etaīs etc but you can totally fly the plane without those calculations inserted in the case you loose both computer you have aplane like any other...

Throttles on the Bus are moved like any other up and down they donīt move like Boeing cause we have an autothrust system while Boeing uses Autothrottles only difference between the 2 is that Boeing moves handles we in the Bus just leave them at the Climb detent and only see gauges moving up and down...

Hope it helps!

Regards.

Roberto

737aqua
05-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Excellent, thank you.

One last question, does the a320 have FLCH mode?

Aqua

dodiano
05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Flight Level shange is a function of speed right?? If that is so it is Open Climb! Or Open Descent!

Regards,

Roberto

Trevor Hale
05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Fantastic Roberto,

I didn't realize that you could manually control the throttle during flight. I thought that during normal flight you had to have in the the CL Gate.

So in essence you could completely hand fly the airbus without the FCU?

Excellent.

Trev

dodiano
05-02-2008, 03:19 AM
During normal flight you leave it in the CLimb gate all the way down to landing but the throttles could be controlled manually if you want in any phase of flight! And of course you can fly the bus without the FCU rememebr it is a plane like any other automation doesnīt make it an impossible plane!

Regards,

Roberto

ryanf
05-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi Roberto,

if you pull the thrust levers back from the climb gate, is the thrust still limited to climb thrust i.e. if you want any more than climb thrust (as calculated by FMGS), you need the thrust levers at least in the CLB gate?

thanks,
Ryan.

warvet
05-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Roberto,
Its funny I was going to say pretty much all you did but not as thorough,professionally or eloquently :) very nice explanation. By the way Aqua FYI only Roberto actually flies a 320 for a living :)

Tim
A340

mauriceb
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't care what anybody else says, but I like seeing my autothrotttles handles move physically in response to A/T power changes instead of just seeing gauges move in an LCD screen. :p . I must admit though, the LCD graphics in an Airbus are quite 'attractive' :D

Maurice

Matt Olieman
05-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Maurice, we trust the intelligence of the Airbus brain :) :) We don't need to see the throttles move.... We know the Airbus brain will take care of the aircraft with confidence. :lol::lol::lol:

Matt O.

warvet
05-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Ya Maurice,
Just like we know your brain doesn't work just because we don't see your lips move when you type wahahahahaha lol :)

Tim
A340
Canada

dodiano
05-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi Roberto,

if you pull the thrust levers back from the climb gate, is the thrust still limited to climb thrust i.e. if you want any more than climb thrust (as calculated by FMGS), you need the thrust levers at least in the CLB gate?

thanks,
Ryan.

Actually it is not that it is limited to Climb thrust when you move it out of the gate you basically what you are doing is disconnecting the Autothrust system and reverting it to a manual thrust mode so... You have more than enough Power to fly it that way it is harder to understand if you do not see it but between Climb gate and Flex and Toga is not that much of the difference regarding phisical movement of the levers... You revert to a Thrust lever angle mode basically what that means is that the position of the thrust levers will command the thrust so you are not limited to Climb thrust basically between Idle and Climb you are commanding manually around 85% (not exact about that number) of the thrust power available...
For example from Climb to FLX/MCT during a landing if the autothrust starts behaving funny during the flare and you get an underpower condition you can move the levers slightly out of climb even up to Flex and then throw them back to idle that will give you an extra amount of thrust like you will in a Cessna or any other aircraft if a little bit of more power is needed it is very rare this happens but it does....
TOGA is only a GO AROUND Condition where you apply full power and you command the plane to revert to a Go around mode where your flight directors and several other indications revert to a missed approach or go around condition and they come in automatically when you throw the levers all the way to TOGA...

Regards,

Roberto

mauriceb
05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
:mrgreen:
Maurice, we trust the intelligence of the Airbus brain :) :) We don't need to see the throttles move.... We know the Airbus brain will take care of the aircraft with confidence. :lol::lol::lol:

Matt O.

Ah, but I did not say I didn't trust the intelligence of the Airbus. In fact it is likely more 'intelligent' than the 'cowboy types' who fly the Boeing's (apologies to cows & cowboys), but deny it as you may, I know that you too would secretly love to see your throttle handles move.

After all, you are a man and men like mechanical things, period. No use denying it, falsifying it, belittling it or making fun of it. You too like tools & mechanical monsters that move. No way could I ever believe that if you had an option of having moving throttles & spoilers in an Airbus that you would say, no thanks...I have my gauges. Yeah right! :mrgreen:

Maurice

ryanf
05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks Roberto!