PDA

View Full Version : PM Getweather

touwersl
04-30-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm using PM getweather for some time now, mainly to request METAR information from the CDU, this is very convenient.
I also display the Wx picture on the ND sometimes.
There are two questions:

1. The Wx picture on the ND is made-up out of rather rude squares, yellow to green. I saw in an other cockpit some time ago that the picture is very smooth. How is this possible, is thee a setting somewhere to set the resolution?
2. I regularly get an ínvalid picture' from PM Getweather. Anybody else experiencing this?

Best regards,

Theo Ouwersloot

mauriceb
04-30-2008, 07:02 AM
1. The Wx picture on the ND is made-up out of rather rude squares, yellow to green. I saw in an other cockpit some time ago that the picture is very smooth. How is this possible, is thee a setting somewhere to set the resolution?

Best regards,

Theo Ouwersloot

Not close to my sim now to check, but I believe somewhere in the documentation for the the ND, there is a setting to change the display for the weather radar. It has several settings (by keystrokes) and I don't remember what they are but they are there somewhere. If you don't find, I'll look for it (has been a long time I looked at it)

Maurice

touwersl
04-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your quick reply.
I just checked the PM user manual on the shortcuts you are talking about. Unfortunately I could not find any except switching the Wx display On and Off. There are however shortcuts to adjust the terrain display, maybe you mixed these up with the Wx commands?

I also posted this question directly to PM support. Hopefully they can give some information on this.

Best regards,

Theo Ouwersloot

mauriceb
04-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi Maurice,

There are however shortcuts to adjust the terrain display, maybe you mixed these up with the Wx commands?

Theo Ouwersloot

You are right; it was the terrain display (it has been a long time :). But I think this may also affect weather display as well. The range that you set on the ND makes a big difference when looking at the terrain, so maybe it also affects the weather display.

Maurice

Bob Reed
04-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your quick reply.
I just checked the PM user manual on the shortcuts you are talking about. Unfortunately I could not find any except switching the Wx display On and Off. There are however shortcuts to adjust the terrain display, maybe you mixed these up with the Wx commands?

I also posted this question directly to PM support. Hopefully they can give some information on this.

Best regards,

Theo Ouwersloot

What is your ND range? As you zoom in the weather display becomes blocky.

touwersl
04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Bob,

The Wx picture is blocky in all ranges of the ND.
Of course there is some difference between the long and short ranges but it is never a smooth picture, always blocky.

Best regards,

Theo

michelmvd
04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Theo

Not sure, but are you not confused with the weather outlook generated by SA_WXR?
Together with PM ND it's generating a "real life" looking radar with sweeping etc.
If you use PMGetWeather alone, it is downloading a satellite weather picture, which becomes indeed "blocky" when zooming out.

B. rgds
Michel

touwersl
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Michel,

Well, I'm not using SA_Wx, that's for sure.
I visited brugges air college some while ago and I talked to someone overthere and I thought he stated that they were using PMGetweather too. But the picture there was very smooth (without blocks).

But I understand from you that you also see that very blocky picture of PMGetweather?

Best regards,

Theo

Bob Reed
04-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Michel,

Well, I'm not using SA_Wx, that's for sure.
I visited brugges air college some while ago and I talked to someone overthere and I thought he stated that they were using PMGetweather too. But the picture there was very smooth (without blocks).

But I understand from you that you also see that very blocky picture of PMGetweather?

Best regards,

Theo

Yes PM getweather alone is blocky. When you saw this on the collage's sim, where the colors the same as yours? SX-WA uses a different color layout easiest way to tell. Could also be they are using a higher resolution monitor too. Just some thoughts.

JonathanRichardson
04-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi

If you have the GC smoothing option on it will be less "blocky"

Regards
Jonathan Richardson

luisgordo
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Quite blocky for my taste too... though it looks fairly well when zoomed far enough.

However, the problem I have with pmGetweather (aside from the mentioned error to get the sat image) is that it hangs quite frequently. Is this happening to any of you?

Trevor Hale
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I had found that everytime PM Getweather would update, I would get a momentary pause.

Since I switched to SA_WXR I have had no more issues, I still run PMGetweather for the METAR function of the CDU though. But no hesitation at all from that point.

Bob Reed
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I had found that everytime PM Getweather would update, I would get a momentary pause.

Since I switched to SA_WXR I have had no more issues, I still run PMGetweather for the METAR function of the CDU though. But no hesitation at all from that point.

Yes but you are running it with the graphics disabled....

Trevor Hale
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
True enough...

luisgordo
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks Trevor. I will explore the SA_WXR way... ;)

NicD
04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes PMgetweather hangs quite a bit for me. I had to switch to Whazzup to get the weather feed.

warvet
05-01-2008, 04:47 AM
Yup I use Wazzup as well :)

Tim
A340
Canada

touwersl
05-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Hi all,

The issue is solved as Thomas Richter pointed me to the bitmap smooth option in the GC .ini file. This one was OFF, switching it to ON gives a much better result. It is still a bit blocky but it is a huge improvement compared to the OFF setting.

I have still the question of the INVALID PICTURE message I get regularly, this one is not solved yet but I understand that I'm not alone here.

Best regards,

Theo Ouwersloot

flightdeck
05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I am using SA_WXR for the weather radar in the PM Glass Cockpit ND
and
pmGetWeather (with disabled "get image" function) for the METAR query via the PM CDU: Twice "MENUE" >>> ACARS >>> METAR without any problems!

Katy Pluta
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Theo,

You need to turn bitmap smoothing on in the GC options, that should help with the weather display from Whazzup/pmGetWeather...