PDA

View Full Version : Motion question

warvet
04-25-2008, 05:33 AM
I know we got alot of skilled and technically qualified builders here so I was hoping you could help me with my question without getting overboard technical. I have unimited access to commmercial treadmill motors gears chains for fitness bikes pneumatic cylanders for strength equipment etc Is it possible to build a workable motion system using these type motors etc? Just a question?

Tim
A340

Tomlin
04-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Tim. if you can find out their electrical capacity and their torque, that would be a better way to determine from those familiar with motion systems. Good luck!

AndyT
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Actually, almost any motor that runs on 12v or more (obviously not counting the small hobby style motors...) will do what you need.

The best place to begin is to draw out your pit and do a weight and balance sheet on it. Just like a real aricraft, a motion pit has a movement envelope and its best not to exceed it or you will break something.

You need to know how much the pit itself weighs and where the weight is located at. Also, account for your weight and a FO if you have a space for one.

Once you get that done you will have a very solid idea of what you are going to need motor wise.

Mike.Powell
04-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Tim,

Motor choice and suitability depend on a number of factors. I think Roland van Roy has done a bang up job of detailing technical issues that hobbyists should consider. His site is a great reference: http://www.simprojects.nl/motion_platform.htm