PDA

View Full Version : UK Import Duty

Holclo
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Just in case there are any new guys (like me) arriving here, a little explanation of UK import duty (as I see it) when purchasing from the USA.
Just this week I ordered some components for my sim from a supplier in the US. Fabulous service, shipped via UPS and delivered within 2 days to me in N. Ireland. Wow ! But...

A breakdown of my order is as follows:
Components - $125 --- £64
Shipping - $97 --- £49 (heavy items)
UK Import Duty-$86 -- £42.38 (£31.38 import duty + £11 Other Goverment Charges/Brokerage Surcharge)

So for my order priced at £64 it actually cost me £155!!!
What I didn't realise was that they add the shipping costs to the item costs before caculating the import duty.
If your item costs more than £18 then it is liable for import duty. So take care when calculating your purchases.
Bill

Bob Reed
04-23-2008, 04:29 PM
YIKES!!! Thanks for pointing that out Bill!!:shock:

mpl330
04-23-2008, 04:30 PM
It's a killer :(

But did you get anything nice Bill?

Holclo
04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Well yes I hope so. A couple of Bass Shakers and an Amp to drive them. Won't get them fitted until the weekend though.
Bill

mpl330
04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Bill,
Keep us informed - I've been looking at a pair of Aura bass shakers to come from the US and cant decide whether its worth it...
Cheers
Mike

phil744
04-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Yep, been stung by this many times before, I dont have the problem on paying the VAT, its the charge by the postal company for holding it for you, usually £8, And yeah its anything over £18 that VAT applies for, but its true, they include the cost of shipping on top of the purchase price on whatever it is your shipping.

Holclo
04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Mike
Will do. I'm waiting now for a stepdown voltage convertor (from UK!!!) as the amp uses 120v - hence the delay in fitting. The amp is a panel fitting one about 6"*6" and looks great. Will be fitting the amp amd shakers to a car seat that I have built as my pilots seat. I'm a succour for adverts and they say it is the "Disney type experience" - well that is good enough for me. I also like the idea of feeling the bass without the volume being set too high.
Cheers
Bill

ivar hestnes
04-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Same deal for us norwegians.

product price + shipping cost = Total value of package. Then 25% VAT on top of that.

Government see shipping as a product you buy:???: And they are right about it.

I dont like the fees the transport companies charge to declare the goods into the destination country. They easy charge 50 usd for sending me a bill for the VAT.

So a 50 usd ebay product + 50 usd shipping + 25% VAT = 125 usd. And then often another 50 for declaring the goods:(.

A 50 usd ebay product can cost me 175 usd in total if I am unlucky.

If buying stuff from private people, they can always write the invoice down. Save some cash then:twisted:.

And you can do the customs declaration yourself. It is actually very easy. Then the transport company cant charge you for that.

yoss
04-24-2008, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=Holclo;56037]Mike
Will do. I'm waiting now for a stepdown voltage convertor

Dont use any kind of electronic converter
Only stepdown transfomer if you wont to keep your amp alive

John Davis
04-24-2008, 07:15 PM
If possible see if the company will list the items as commercial samples, it avoids the duty ;)