PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr! TH2G problem

JimmyGerrard
04-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi guys,

Been trying to sort it out all day but just can't get it to work! My three monitors display a REALLY poor image; I can see a small version of windows that covers the middle third of the first two monitors, and the last one just stays black. Aside from the middle of the other two, they also stay black. The writing is unreadable and so I can't play about with the configurations, and it's really getting on my nerves!!! I installed the Matrox software OK, but whenever I restart the computer it displays the same old shoddy image. Any ideas chaps?

I'm running it on 3 22" VGA monitors, so I've had to add 3 DVI connectors to plug it into the TH2G. Perhaps there's a problem here? I went in on 1 monitor and set the resolution on the one screen to 1280 x 1024, but whenever I plug in the other monitors with the TH2G I get the same poor result. I have the digital version and operate Windows Vista.

Thanks!

HansJansen
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi,

The TH2G is specified for 3x 1024x768; maybe there is your problem? (Although I have read from others that had no problem in higher resolutions...).

Anyway, I run 3 19" monitors (1024x768 ) myself on the digital version, including three converters, and have no problem at all with it. So maybe your unit is not functioning properly?

Good luck,

Bob Reed
04-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Your resolution does not sound right. I do not have a TH2G we need one of the gurus to jump in here!

Gnorfie
04-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Wrong. When you select the resolution 1280 x 1024 it will spread this resolution over three monitors. So every monitor has a superlow res. Attach the monitors, en select 3072 x 768 or 3840 x 1024. Now it will work.. If you can't find this resolutions in your display settings you have to check your drivers.

Greetings Benno

JimmyGerrard
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
I can't check anything with the TH2G, it simply won't allow me to view proper windows on the monitors. The only way I can view anything is to connect one monitor into my graphics card in the standard fashion, but I'm unsure as to how this would affect the PC and the TH2G when I plug it in. When the TH2G's set up I can't view any real picture or read any text. It's really getting on my nerves because I can't play around with any settings all the time it's plugged in!

Matt Olieman
04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Jimmy, in case you have not considered this. Make sure the monitor setups are set to auto source, not a specific resolution or frequency.

Just a thought....

Holclo
04-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I assume that you have two outputs on your video card. Try running the TH2GO off the other output - that sorted me out when I had no picture on first connecting. And yes your res has to be 3072*768
Regards
Bill

brianwilliamson
04-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I had the same problems. Make sure you are using the short lead supplied to go from your video card to the Triplehead. They do not like long cables there, so you then, can run long ones to the monitors/projectors. The software should be then readable enough to then put your requirements onto the rather poorly designed software set-up. Once you have that correct you should be ok.

Regards...................Brian W.

JimmyGerrard
04-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I had the same problems. Make sure you are using the short lead supplied to go from your video card to the Triplehead. They do not like long cables there, so you then, can run long ones to the monitors/projectors. The software should be then readable enough to then put your requirements onto the rather poorly designed software set-up. Once you have that correct you should be ok.

You sir, deserve a very large beer!!! I changed the cable for a longer one so that I could position the TH2G box on my table, not realising it'd have that effect. Thanks you lot for all your help! Now it's time to install the TrackIR...expect a thread in round about an hours time!!!

Cheers.

Gnorfie
04-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Brian is right, i also had a long extra cable between my pc and th2go and everything on the screen went blurry. Removed the extension-cable and the problem was solved. Also don't think the DVI connectors have anything to do with it. Any luck yet?

Benno

Matt Olieman
04-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Brian is Good!!!!! Now that it's mentioned, I had the same problem when I started playing with it, when I first got it.

ivar hestnes
04-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a 5 meter cable between my graphic card and tripplehead2go without problems. But I bought a high quality cable with gold plated connectors.

Could it be a cable quality issue when people get this problem?

:)

JimmyGerrard
05-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi guys,

Just when I thought I was over my TH2G woes, back they come. I recently went about setting up a 4th monitor, and this is where my trouble started.

After playing about with different settings I managed to get the TH2G firing, but I had to unplug the 4th monitor because when they were all plugged in together the 4th monitor became the main one and the TH2G monitors stayed blank.

Anyway, the three monitors are working again now, but my problem comes in that when I load up FSX, the game only plays on the first and far left of my 3 screens. Before I plugged in the 4th one it cast the image on all 3 monitors, now I can only get the game to play on 1.

When I used to use the PC when the TH2G worked properly (before Fourth-monitorgate) the desktop only used to display on the middle screen, with the two either side staying blank until FSX was loaded, when the game would then be projected across all 3. Now, the desktop is displayed across all 3 when I load the computer up, but FSX only appears in one! It's a complete reversal of how it worked before!

I have been into my display settings and I have one looonnnggg monitor as number 1 (which is the 3 TH2G mnitors together), but I also have a monitor numbered as 2- it is greyed out and I can't change anything about it. I find this strange as the 4th monitor is no longer plugged in to my graphics card, and I've even taken away the power supply! For it still to be showing up then is strange to say the least!

Any idea what's wrong? And how do I install the 4th monitor correctly? I only wanted it for free simcharts now I work for Jeppesen and it's caused me nothing but problems! :D

andarlite
05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Jimmy

It's normal to still show the 4th monitor even though it's not plug in as Windows will remember your settings. If I were to leave one of my monitors powered off by accident, I sure wouldn't want to go through the trouble of re-configuring it again.
Although I'm on FS9, I find that if I setup a new situation, it will startup on just one monitor. I need to stretch the window across all my monitors. Once I drag panels around to other monitors, I have to save that situation otherwise I have to set it all up again next time.
I'm not sure if that's your problem, but it's all I can suggest from the info you have given. When you do have the 4th monitor plug in, even thought it is showing as the main, go into Control Panel, Display, Settings, click on the TH2G monitor and check on the checkbox "Use this device as the primary monitor". Your 4th monitor should have the checkbox "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
See if that works.

Regards,
Henry

Prof Bill
05-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Something that should be considered and was mentioned was the video cable and it's quality.
On some video cables that plug into your video card Pin 9 is often pinless. Pin 5 is used for testing purposes, and Pin 15 is rarely used; these are often pinless as well. To identify the type of monitor connected to the system, some manufacturers use the presence or absence of the monitor ID pins in various combinations.

The problems occur when various and different types of cable manufacture are used. One can often believe the problem is resolved by swapping cables but usually it is because one has selected a right cable.

I have a Weidmuller Palladin Tools (USA origin) cable tester here and sorted out all my cables and I can assure you that I have "binned" over 80% of my old cables. Post 55783 is a problem solution.

You can run a five metre cable of very good quality as the pins are usually properly wired to VESA SVGA Standards. The problems occur when one uses so called high quality cables of dubious non certified origin.
Hope that this helps!

Bill.

Kennair
05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Jimmy,

I would also suspect the DVI to VGA adaptors you are using. I have my TH2GO (analogue) connected to one video card output via a DVI adapter plus another monitor #4 on the second video output then a second card with another monitor #5, all with absolutely no issue running under Vista64 with FS9 & FSX.

Remember also to set the video resolution in FSX Display settings to match your windows settings, this can sometimes (not always) cause issues.

Of course the other thing to consider is that you have a dodgy TH2GO!

Good luck,

Ken.