PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm a newbie.. I need some advice/help

xnipher
04-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi there! I so what bored playing FSX in Keyboards, mouse and joysticks.. So I decided that
building cockpit would be cool... So i plan to build one BUT there are so many problems these are

1) Limited Electronic Resources in my Country (Can't buy internationally, it might cost me alot)
2) Financial Terms
3) I'm A Newbie

So here's my plans:

1) I know a good store here in the Philippines that provides electronic parts (hhtp://www.e-gizmo.com)
2) so making it DIY (i need advice in every single details)

I downloaded an 737 panels in the Download Library... And the Good thing is that my plan is to build a 737NG Cockpit..

so i was thinking... first.. how can i interface the device?
any suggestion of making it DIY?

Trevor Hale
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
If you want to start off super duper cheap. The best thing would be to go and buy a bunch of old used joysticks and rip them appart. then attach your switches to the joystick buttons.

Is is not super duper realistic, but if you are really starving for money this is the best way. You can get joysticks on ebay for a dime a dozen.

Trev

xnipher
04-19-2008, 01:40 PM
If you want to start off super duper cheap. The best thing would be to go and buy a bunch of old used joysticks and rip them appart. then attach your switches to the joystick buttons.

Is is not super duper realistic, but if you are really starving for money this is the best way. You can get joysticks on ebay for a dime a dozen.

Trev

no., i'm not that much very very starving for money.... What i mean is that i want to build Cockpit controls (like in other threads,, specifically 737NG).. Well, can you recommend me a DIY Interface board?

Bob Reed
04-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes there is one but the name escapes just this minute.. I am looking for it!

xnipher
04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Yes there is one but the name escapes just this minute.. I am looking for it!

i will wait for the information.. just post it... thanks...

npbosch
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
If you are able to make (or have them made) your own pcb's then use FSBUS (www.fsbus.de).
If you are not able to make them yourself buy the opencockpit cards.
Both products are very versatile and are both able to connect switches lamps, 7 segment leds etc etc.

Regards Norbert

Bob Reed
04-19-2008, 02:47 PM
If you are able to make (or have them made) your own pcb's then use FSBUS (www.fsbus.de (http://www.fsbus.de)).
If you are not able to make them yourself buy the opencockpit cards.
Both products are very versatile and are both able to connect switches lamps, 7 segment leds etc etc.

Regards Norbert

This is the one I was thinking of!!

ziaf
11-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi guys.. I didnt want to make a new Thread :???: I'm a bit shy still as I'm new to the forum ;) I have been starting flight simulator at the start of the year (when I changed laptop -> HP dv5t) and I'm loving every minute of it. At the moment I'm planning to built myself a basic panel (a hybird possibly for switching autopilot, autothrottle, landing gear, etc). But being a student..n just managing to scrape of some money from my parents for a second hand yoke, I won't be able to draw out big sums of money to buy a few things. So here's where I need you guys to help me out :P

Right now, what I'm planning to do is to salvage a gamepad and start building my switch panel from there. I've found a few websites that could get me started (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2369639/1.html) however..I'm also interested in adding a few LEDs on my panel so that when a switch is in the on position, the LED would light up. Would it be possible to add this kind of LEDs to the gamepad?Is there any risk of me possibly overfrying anything..I'm a complete no0b at this..any help n input frm you guys is greatly appreciated..

jmig
11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi guys.. I didnt want to make a new Thread :???: I'm a bit shy still as I'm new to the forum ;) I have been starting flight simulator at the start of the year (when I changed laptop -> HP dv5t) and I'm loving every minute of it. At the moment I'm planning to built myself a basic panel (a hybird possibly for switching autopilot, autothrottle, landing gear, etc). But being a student..n just managing to scrape of some money from my parents for a second hand yoke, I won't be able to draw out big sums of money to buy a few things. So here's where I need you guys to help me out :P

Right now, what I'm planning to do is to salvage a gamepad and start building my switch panel from there. I've found a few websites that could get me started (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2369639/1.html) however..I'm also interested in adding a few LEDs on my panel so that when a switch is in the on position, the LED would light up. Would it be possible to add this kind of LEDs to the gamepad?Is there any risk of me possibly overfrying anything..I'm a complete no0b at this..any help n input frm you guys is greatly appreciated..

Here is what you can do, if you have a volt.ohm meter and the game pad. Plug the gamepad in to the computer's USB port. Connect the volt meter across one of the switches. Press the switch and measure the voltage across the switch. If it is around 5vdc you are good.

You can connect a LED in parallel with the switch so it comes on when you turn it on. Be sure and use a resistor between the switch and LED or you will burn it out. You can easily find sites that will show you the correct way to hook the LED up and calculate the resistor ohmage. However, an 88 ohm resistor found at Radio shack should work.

Have fun!

ziaf
11-07-2008, 10:09 AM
thanx for the reply..but..if i do have a gamepad with 5volts dc, and if let say I had 14 available switches, would it still be ok to fit all 14 of them with LEDs in parallel? is there anyways i could find out before hand if a gamepad has a 5 volts dc other than the ones you have mentioned?