PDA

View Full Version : Forum thoughts as a GA Builder

magicaldr
04-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Peeps, ideas time, and please note you cant offend me by saying 'that is a really stupid idea'. Or even 'open your eyes idiot, the thing you want is already here somewhere' :)

Firstly obvious bit, I love MyCockpit and spend most evenings perusing the site. However I do find there is a heavy metal bias to the posts. This is not a criticism, the majority of us are building heavies so its only natural.

Now when the GA social group was setup there was concern that this may detract from the main forum. Obviously this has not occurred, but I understand the thoughts there. However I would value an area dedicated to GA Cockpit issues somewhere on the site. Obviously a lot of GA issues are really cockpit issues, but we do tend to hit different snags due to the different scales of our pits. We also have different instruments to many (not all) heavies, being more steam gauge and no snazzy computers. I would say that our military pit builders are likely to be in a similar boat, but not being one cant comment.

So my suggestion would be 3 new forums for those issues which are pit specific. To compliment the current general ones for all issues that aren't.

Heavies / Jet Pit Discussion
GA / Light / Glider Pit Discussion
Military Pit Discussion

Personally I browse all the forums anyway most evenings, working of the recent thread list. However it would be nice to have an alert for issues that are likely to directly affect my pit building, or where I may have some help to offer.

Hey its just a thought, and I might be missing some feature already here. However we have a great GA photo section that I get nice emails from, and always visit with interest, I would love to see something similar as a forum

:D

Matt Olieman
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Excellent idea!!!! Certainly will consider this seriously and would love to hear other comments on this subject.

zenandzen
06-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes,
i think this idea warrants some consideration & the differences mentioned can be brought down to two categories-----
Glass cockpit or steam gauge cockpit , the latter covers GA ,some military & older jets.
The main distinction being the way panels are displayed.
Cheers
Gerry

jmig
06-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Did I hear "Military Pits" hee, hee. The idea of having a separate forum for GA, Military, etc is nice for something that is exclusive to military or GA. However, I agree that most pit ideas/problems apply to all pits.

Besides, I don't mind reading about those slow aluminum buses. I know in my own mind that we fighter pilots are superior ;) And, provided it isn't a new coffee pot, I can use most of your ideas in my pit.

Michael Carter
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
That reminds me of this old Air Force joke:

An F-16, after refueling behind a KC-135, was generally making a nuisance of himself by flying rolls around the lumbering tanker. The message for the KC-135 crew was, "Anything you can do, I can do better."

Not to be out done, the tanker pilot announced that he would rise to the challenge. The KC-135 continued its flight, straight and level, however. Perplexed, the fighter pilot asked, "So? What did you do?"

"We just shut down two engines."

aviaparts
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Indeed, good idea !