PDA

View Full Version : How do I add the propeller in the 2d panel view?

ddimm
04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Hello All -

I am working on my outside visuals for a Cessna 172 Sim and need some advise on setting up a propeller view in the 2D panel.in FS2004 I would like to have the same effect of the spinning prop and the opaque glass effect as in the 3D view. I have a TH2Go for my external view on three 22" monitors and a 15" LCD for my instrument view. Is this possible using FS Panel Studio or something else? Thanks in advance. -Daniel

autocadplease
04-07-2008, 11:40 PM
I have seen moving window wipers in 2d panels, so it is feasible that a prop could be added.
Could you not run the virtual cockpit in your external display (zoom in to get rid of the panel) and either produce an undock instrument panel view to your 15" monitor or use something like FsXpand?

ddimm
04-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Autocadplease -
Is the plane with the 2d wiper effect a freeware? If so - will you show me where to download it. I would like to take a look at what the did in the aircraft.cfg file to get the effect.

On the 3D - I thought there may be an additional framerate performance hit if I mixed 2d and 3d.

I'll take a look at FsXpand and see what I can do with that.
Thanks.
Daniel

autocadplease
04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Yes, the plane was freeware. There are lots at flightsim.com - just do a search.

You will get a frame hit if you have to undock views. Check out Kenn Air's C172 sim. Similar to what you are talking about and it looks like they have undocked the panles (look closely top left of screen).

http://www.kennair.com/visuals.html

ddimm
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
WOW - that Kenn Air's sim is awesome. My wife would kill me if I did something that big and $$$!

I am still trying to figure out how to create the prop effect in the 2d window. I think I will start making a gauge like the wipers you suggested.

Here is a pic looking over the cowling. I have added the wet compass and the prop effect would complete the illusion for me. (scenery provided by TileProxy Beta6 running on FS9)

autocadplease
04-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Your sim looks great!
I would suggest you post something at the MSFS Aircraft and Panel Design Forum at avsim. They have some experts on panel design there.

ddimm
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks. I actually found a plane on avsim.com (Yak 18 http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=propeller&CatID=fs2004ac&Sort=Name&ScanMode=0&Page=2) that has a working prop in the 2D panel. I will experiment with it tonight.

autocadplease
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Great! I love the C.A.S.E method - Copy And Steal Everthing!

simyoke
04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Here is a pic looking over the cowling. I have added the wet compass and the prop effect would complete the illusion for me. (scenery provided by TileProxy Beta6 running on FS9)

The cowling over the panel seems to make the sim a lot more immersive.
I 've been wanting to do the same and could you please tell me what you did fot the cowling effect, ddimm?

Best.

ddimm
04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Simyoke -
I found an image on google of a view over the cowling, blacked out the background and used the FS Panel Studio to create the view with the compass and cowling. I had to made the image 3 times wider because I use the TH2Go.

I hope to add the prop effect to the 2D panel as well.

simyoke
04-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Simyoke -
I found an image on google of a view over the cowling, blacked out the background and used the FS Panel Studio to create the view with the compass and cowling. I had to made the image 3 times wider because I use the TH2Go.

I hope to add the prop effect to the 2D panel as well.

An ingenious and very effective solution it seems.
Thanks for the info.
When you are done with the prop let me see the screenshot, if you don't mind.
I guess I will try the same.

Best
Simyoke.

ddimm
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
No luck on the prop effect. It turned out the Yak had a 2D panel overlaying the 3D panel. That solution was a total frame rate buster for my system.