PDA

View Full Version : pmsystem alternative

racer590
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
im begining on my overhead and at the current time i cant afford pm systems high prices. i noticed one builder said he did his overhead without pmsystems but didnt explain. what are some alternatives to doing a 737 overhead without pm systems if any? is there a way with pmdg? or just fsuipc. or any other way im not sure of?
thanks

steveeverson
04-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi there- you need to talk to Ian Sissons who is a memeber of this site and he knows a lot about interfacing to PMDG - his website is www.737ng.co.uk ehich gives loads of useful info on connecting up an overhead and using PMDG in general.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Steve:D

racer590
04-06-2008, 10:50 PM
thanks thats really interesting i might try that. my only thing is how is he doing the anuciators. and the multi switches and rotating switches. if you have any idea can you post i cant find it on his website. but it was very informative

nricky
04-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Hi
<o></o>
The idea is not bad the way Ian does it in controlling the overhead from the pmdg. The way he does it, he is using key2mouse. But this way you always need to show the overhead on a separate monitor. But the big problem you don’t get any of the Annunciator to work.<o></o>

What has PM done, the only use the regular offsets to control the Sim with their PMSYSTEM. You only need to understand the logic for the overhead, than you can program with SIOC. The programming is not the hardest part, but understanding what happens when you flip a switch and so on. This would be a great project for a group of people doing the programming. It is not hard, the problem is always doing it. If anyone can remember Dutch has done a Logic for the 737 and made a video of it. But he has never got around to it in using it in the FS.<o></o>

It would be great to get a project like that going, and I would also help.<o></o>

Cheers Norbert

PS would be great if we can figure out how to get rid of the overhead logic in the pmdg<o></o>

aluver
04-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Hello,

Opencockpit has already do that :

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=298

No more graphic interface in this version but all logic already programmed, you just have yo connect your hardware and configure hard and soft entries/outputs to match.

racer590
04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi
<o></o>
The idea is not bad the way Ian does it in controlling the overhead from the pmdg. The way he does it, he is using key2mouse. But this way you always need to show the overhead on a separate monitor. But the big problem you don’t get any of the Annunciator to work.<o></o>

What has PM done, the only use the regular offsets to control the Sim with their PMSYSTEM. You only need to understand the logic for the overhead, than you can program with SIOC. The programming is not the hardest part, but understanding what happens when you flip a switch and so on. This would be a great project for a group of people doing the programming. It is not hard, the problem is always doing it. If anyone can remember Dutch has done a Logic for the 737 and made a video of it. But he has never got around to it in using it in the FS.<o></o>

It would be great to get a project like that going, and I would also help.<o></o>

Cheers Norbert

PS would be great if we can figure out how to get rid of the overhead logic in the pmdg<o></o>

id be willing to start on a group project if we can get some people and make it an open source project for everyone to use. my programing skills are very limited but i could work them up. if your up for it im up for it if we can find some other people. my email is racer590@hotmail.com and aim is tcollins590. email me or im me anytime

racer590
04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Hello,

Opencockpit has already do that :

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=298

No more graphic interface in this version but all logic already programmed, you just have yo connect your hardware and configure hard and soft entries/outputs to match.

im having alot of troubles getting the program to open on my computer im getting 10+ errors over and over

Jackpilot
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Another approach:

Most functions can be emulated via electrical circuits ....and a "flowchart" logic..no programing here, just wires switches and lights...and good ol' human thinking.
Check:
http://www.737ng.co.uk/wiring%20the%20737ng%20overhead%20panel.pdf
and for help:
http://www.artietheairplane.com/737_panels/737_main.htm

nricky
04-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi Ian

<o></o>
It is much easier to wire everything up with Opencockpits, than do a little programming. The way you are doing is too complicated, much harder to do logic and it cost much more than writing a SIOC code. All new machines have an SPS controlling unit in them, so they don’t have tons auf relay’s which brings up the price. This way it is very easy to say for instance when I turn a switch on than after a few seconds a light is turned on and so on. Doing it the old way to hard, and when you have changes to complicate.

<o></o>
Now to ON737, looks great but I don’t know anyone who is using it. Would have liked, if they have used the standard offset and not IOPC Server. It might work if I would sit down and changed it to the regular Offsets. But it would be easier to start out all over again.
<o></o>
If people are interested in this kind of project I am up for it. And learning Opencockpits is not that hard, it took me a week to figure it out a bid and than you go from there. It looks hard, but it is not and there are a lot of people out there we can ask. And if we can’t figure something out we can always as Nico, he is the best in programming SIOC.

<o></o>
Cheers Norbert

yoss
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Another approach:

Most functions can be emulated via electrical circuits ....and a "flowchart" logic..no programing here, just wires switches and lights...and good ol' human thinking.
Check:
http://www.737ng.co.uk/wiring%20the%20737ng%20overhead%20panel.pdf
and for help:
http://www.artietheairplane.com/737_panels/737_main.htm

Correct--or just that, together with some programming ,combo

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=29

Dload a Video Overhead logic with Sioc clipp as example

the sioc file for that is alsow available and may serve you as an idea -- how to--

Jackpilot
04-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Figuring out the overhead logic is simple...download the PmSystem demo , fire MSFS and learn from it.
Then figure out the circuits.

Jackpilot
04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Already posted it but U know some people even try to find out offsets for recirculating fan switches and even a proper sound wave for it.....just put a real computer fan in a duct and connect it to your overhead switch for a full effect...sound and air!...same goes for a lot of switches on the overhead...wipers...window heat..chimes...etc..

Michael Carter
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm stil looking for a good set of realistic chimes.

Been through the Mouser catalog a dozen times, but you can't tell what it sounds like from looking at part numbers.

Jackpilot
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Door bells....try them out at your local hardware...some sound pretty close and can be damped..

yoss
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Door bells....try them out at your local hardware...some sound pretty close and can be damped..

RIGHT, my first attempt do build overhead was just done this way,:D,-pure hardware logic solution, but in the second i used
Open Cockpit SIOC logic together with hardware ,and attached sound files to switches
Same bout wipers, apu, avionic,fuel pumps and more cockpit sounds

Have fun

racer590
04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
RIGHT, my first attempt do build overhead was just done this way,:D,-pure hardware logic solution, but in the second i used
Open Cockpit SIOC logic together with hardware ,and attached sound files to switches
Same bout wipers, apu, avionic,fuel pumps and more cockpit sounds

Have fun

can you explain more how you did this and how it turned out?

yoss
04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
can you explain more how you did this and how it turned out?

Well ,the basic was the overhead logic i found on the OC

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=29

There is some clipp about that, i found the script, then i added alsow by Sioc more functions and sounds using published examples and adapting that to my IO ,master card , connected to parallel port

The Apu egt and duct gauges are kind of fake , but working ,using some dc motors with reductors and microswithes so startup procedure is realistic,
Starters are with electromagnetic release ,controlled by Sioc
As i told ,some interfacing is pure hardware logic combined with Sioc logic
interfaced via OC mastercard ,driving sounds , leds and connected with sim by FSiupc
Almoust all leds and swithes are functional
Not very elegant solution perhaps, but i needed only one mastercard for OH project and saved Pmsys purchassing expences

Not exactly purist dream, but close enoght:)

racer590
04-11-2008, 05:07 PM
if you have any more documentation on sioc can you please share i need all the help i can get? thanks

kiek
04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
if you have any more documentation on sioc can you please share i need all the help i can get? thanks

http://www.lekseecon.nl/sioc.html

Nico Kaan

racer590
04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
thanks you guys are great