PDA

View Full Version : My I/O USB board

washburn_it
04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi,

I would like to introduce you the board that me and a friend of mine developed to manage I/O of the cockpit.
It is an USB 2.0 compliant board equipped with a 8 bit microcontroller and can manage:

- 64 inputs (button, switches etc)
- 64 outputs (max output load per single output 500 mA)
- 7 segments display (driven with a BCD decoder driver 4543, so the board can manage up to 32 "digits")
- rotary encoders

The board supports two different power inputs: one is +5 Volt for the board logic, the 2nd for the "output voltage".

At the moment another board is under development, it's the "LCD Board" that can manage up to 20 alphanumeric LCD displays (HD44780 compatible).
Soon I will publish all the details on my web site.

Regards,

Roberto

nricky
04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Roberto

It looks really nice what you have done, can*t wait to get more info from you.

Keep me postet in your progress.

Cheers Norbert

yoss
04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Very cool and intresting

dnoize
04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
this looks like the perfect allround board Roberto.

Look forward to see more details !

Stef

Kennair
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow, that's pretty comprehensive Roberto. Are you intending on marketing these boards commercially?

Ken.

washburn_it
04-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Well...the idea is to sell this board but it's too early at the moment, I must make deeper tests to check its reliability.
This is the first project of this kind for me but I will keep you informed about my progress.

Regards,

Roberto

washburn_it
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Further update:
the cost of the board is around at 150 Euros that may be pretty expensive for an hobbystic use, then I had another idea.
I'm working around a kind of "universal board" that can be programmed directly from the user.
This board will have 30 lines (2 more lines are used to communicate with the PC) that can be configured as inputs or outputs.
With a software (pc side) the user can decide that 10 of 30 lines, for instance, can be used as inputs, 10 for outputs and 10 to drive a 7 segments display, or 30 only for inputs or only for outputs, or to drive alphanumeric LCD displays, encoders, servos and steppers.
This kind of board should cost less than the other board since it has less components (only 2 chips and some passive component).
I will let you know more about it soon.

Regards,

Roberto

phil744
04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Nice work!! was once thinking of doing my own, i can design electronics but useless when it comes to software!!!

I do like the RJ-45 connection method, thinking of doing that on my setup.

If you need any help on SMT stuff and production, i will be glad to help.

washburn_it
04-30-2008, 06:45 AM
I uploaded a small video on YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22vSmlqmv8M ) to show a 7 segments display (4 digits) used as IAS indicator and driven by my I/O board.
Sorry for the low quality but something can be seen anyway ;)

Regards,

Roberto

Michael Carter
04-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Roberto, I like the idea for your first board the best. This sounds like something I can use.

What is the maximum output voltage that can be used for indicators and such?

64 input and 64 outputs sounds like a great combo. It would be worth €150 for this functionality.

Paul G
04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I think the key to any hardware is having supporting software. If the board would be recognized as a keyboard (emulator), then it's pretty easy to configure in FSX of FS9 or whatever. The functionality, ease of use, and reliability of the supporting software really makes the difference (in my opinion).

I DO like the idea of having user configurable channels (in/out). I also like the use of telephone/modem connectors for easy release. This is one of the simplest and quickest ways of making connections.

My main interest is in the driver software though, or how to program the board using some other method. I wouldn't find the price prohibitive, especially if you have configurable channels which would make it kind of unique

Paul

Further update:
the cost of the board is around at 150 Euros that may be pretty expensive for an hobbystic use, then I had another idea.
I'm working around a kind of "universal board" that can be programmed directly from the user.
This board will have 30 lines (2 more lines are used to communicate with the PC) that can be configured as inputs or outputs.
With a software (pc side) the user can decide that 10 of 30 lines, for instance, can be used as inputs, 10 for outputs and 10 to drive a 7 segments display, or 30 only for inputs or only for outputs, or to drive alphanumeric LCD displays, encoders, servos and steppers.
This kind of board should cost less than the other board since it has less components (only 2 chips and some passive component).
I will let you know more about it soon.

Regards,

Roberto

kiek
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi,

Have a look at Opencockpits, it's all there already, at low prices, with powerful free software (SIOC).

Nico Kaan

washburn_it
04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
What is the maximum output voltage that can be used for indicators and such?The maximum output voltage (according with the datasheet of the output "chip") is 50 Volt with a maximum current of 500 mA.
Of course I would avoid to reach that limit, at least for the max current: it is better to use a transistor or a relay in that case.
The board is equipped with two separate power input: one is +5 Volt for the board logic, and the other must be between +5 Volt and 50 Volt and it is used for the output stage.

My main interest is in the driver software though, or how to program the board using some other method. I wouldn't find the price prohibitive, especially if you have configurable channels which would make it kind of unique
My intention is to give the user two options:

1) a set of software tools to configure the I/O lines of the board and to assign functions to each input or output.
The program will be able also to evaluate "formulas" (that the user can write) since some FSUIPC offsets need a conversion to have "usable" values (like speed for example).
This program is complete at 80% and it is already working for Input/Output assignement, I still have to add 7 segments display, LCD alphanumeric and encoders configuration.
The last program of the set is the program that evaluates the file containing all the assignements and will be the interface "between" FS and the board.

2) a DLL file that contains a set of functions to interact with the boards.
This file is designed for those people who want to develop their own program to manage the cockpit (like I did for my autopilot module).
The DLL is already operative and has been tested with Delphi and Visual Basic (in theory should work also with Visual C++).

The software will be given for free of course.

It's a big work considered that I haven't a team to help me (actually a friend of mine is helping with electronic designing) but since I started with this hobby I've learnt that you don't have to be in a hurry if you want things to get along well !

Regards,

Roberto

Michael Carter
04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
That's great. I'll be working with 24vdc so it will be well under the max.

Please let us know when it becomes available.

raysot
05-01-2008, 12:14 AM
..and I love the RJ45 connectors. Those can really clean up a cockpit wiring schema!

washburn_it
05-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Update:

the new "user-configurable" board has arrived and today I was able to write and test the part of the firmware to drive servo motors.
I did some "in-flight" tests (using one servo as VSI and another as bank indicator) with success.
Soon I will publish a video showing the test.

Regards,

Roberto

nricky
05-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Hi Roberto

That is to cool, cand wait to see more of your IOBOARD.

Cheers Norbert

c172skyhawk
05-12-2008, 06:44 AM
This system sounds awsome. Any idea on how long before the system will be released to the public?

washburn_it
05-12-2008, 07:49 AM
That is a good question eheh

Well...actually the I/O board firmware is completed then it should be sold, but I haven't made so many tests then I don't like to release something before I'm sure it will work at 99 %.
Consider that I don't have a "staff" to work around it and I'm doing it in in my spare time so that needs more time.
I hope I can release everything (I/O Board, User-Configurable board and all the related software) within the end of the summer.
By the way, I will keep posting here to inform you all about my progress.

Regards,

Roberto

washburn_it
05-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Small update:

I included a functionality that permits the user to "self-update" the firmware of the boards without the need of an hardware programmer (thus without detaching the micro from its socket) but directly from the configuration program.
In case of problem encountered during the update, the user may restore the previous firmware so that the board can still be used.
At the moment the board can manage:

- alphanumeric LCD displays (HD44780 compatible)
- 7 segment displays
- switches/buttons
- rotary encoders
- LEDs
- up to 16 servo motors

Regards,

Roberto

washburn_it
07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Update:

the I/O 64 board (64 inputs/64 outputs) is reaching the end of its development (finally) so, after several optimizations, now it can manage:

- 64 switches, buttons etc
- 64 LEDs, relays (max 500 mA for each output, max voltage 50 V)
- max 32 2 bit rotary encoders (tested with the CTS-288 )
- max 32 7-segment digits (but I have in plan to expand them to 60 digits)
- max 55 alphanumeric LCD displays (HD44780 compatible)
- "user self update" feature with firmware backup/restore utility (no need of external microcontroller programmers).
I also included a functionality that makes one or more LEDs blink, in case it is needed as alarm indication or failure or...well your fantasy is the limit.

This board won't manage servo motors since that will be made by a specific board (max 16 servos).

Regards,

Roberto

skywatch
10-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Any more news on this Roberto?

Skywatch

washburn_it
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Well...the I/O board (64 input/output) is finished and ready but I had to rework the software "pc-side" since it was not satisfying me.
In the beginning I developed a "classic" software with which an user can assign a function to each input or output line.
But the limitation of this kind of program is that it's difficult if you have one or more conditions to manage on the same command (i.e. the gear command).
So I thought to write a kind of "script language" so that the user can implement its cockpit's logic.
Of course, it's not going to be a complicated language (the target is the basic user), mapping all the NAV, COM, XPNDR, GEAR and other offsets directly into reserved variables, the user will have just to operate with them without the need of BCD conversion or other since everything will be done by the program.
I hope to finish it soon, I will publish a kind of "operating manual" (freely downloadable) so that, who wants, could give me his opinion and suggestions.

Regards,

Roberto

skywatch
10-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the update!

klause27
11-15-2008, 05:25 AM
that`s really cool.

venenoso
11-15-2008, 08:03 AM
hello,
don't forget servos and a easy user interface , my dream card is a bigger one for everything and a visual software.
regards

washburn_it
11-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I have already built and made some tests with a servo board that can manage 16 servos with a resolution step of 1 microsec.
There will be also a visual software but only to setup boards, the "cockpit logic" will be implemented using CBSL (Cockpit Board Script Language) that I've nearly completed (soon the manual will be ready to be published).

Regards,

Roberto