PDA

View Full Version : Stick Shakers

rt72
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Does anybody have good pictures of stick shakers mounted on a column, or know who makes them? I'm looking to build them and I can't find any images.

Thanks!

spitfire9
04-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Here is one on a Grumman Tracker.

You are probably looking for an airline type yoke?? But maybe this will give you an idea.

On the Tracker you can see the round can looking thing hanging under the yoke,, attacked to the column . It is simply a off center weight (in the can) driven by a small electric motor.
When the AoA system reaches the yellow arc,, it starts the motor which gives a good shaking to the yoke.

Kennair
04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I remeber seeing one recently during one of my net trawl sessions, but can't for the life of me find it. It was simply some sort of stepper motor attached to the stem of the airline yoke. Not sure how it functioned though, whether by sound or he had a force feedback joystick controller attached.

Perhaps you could try contacting Mike Powell (http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/), he may has done research into this.

Ken.

Trevor Hale
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Does anybody have good pictures of stick shakers mounted on a column, or know who makes them? I'm looking to build them and I can't find any images.

Thanks!

Stick shakers are easy parts to build. All you need is a little electric motor, and an offset weight on it. Connect it to a Phidgets output module and your golden.

Trev

Kennair
04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Here you go, found it. It's in Spanish (I think?) but there is a photo in the Yoke section of a mechanical stick shaker on the column.

http://www.homecockpit.net/INGLES/e_aficiones.html

Ken.

PaulEMB
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes its Spanish, and without wishing to infringe Rafa Carmona's copyright, it says a DC motor mounted with an offset weight.

Looks pretty self expanatory. and a great idea.

rt72
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks all for the help!

spitfire9
04-04-2008, 02:11 AM
I have one of those Buttkickers and I'm going to try to strap it to the crossmember between the yokes.
If I can get a buffet sound during stall or just before the stall,, I wonder if it would feel like a stick shaker.
Or is there a stick shaker wave file somewhere in Fs2004 ?