PDA

View Full Version : USB to VGA MONITORS!!!

manhattan
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
There is a device on the market for £50.00. that boasts to be able to allow you to add extra monitors using USB ports - one device and monitor per port - up to six monitors!!
The company is 'Media Atlantic' based in the UK. www.mediaatlantic.com
I have tried to contact them for more info, but no luck so far.
They say no graphics card required, just USB!!
I wonder if these devices will run an outside view?

Any thoughts anyone?

TONY

rt72
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I"ve heard performance is poor, however I haven't ever seen one in action.

Kennair
04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Tony, I've also heard these give poor performance. The USB speed is much less than the VGA capability direct from your video card.

Could be wrong though, so I'd be interested to hear from someone using it.

Ken.

Geremy Britton
04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
hmm this sounds interesting however i would prefer the TH2GO you can get 3 monitors and if you work it our 3 of these is more expensive than TH2GO's are going for on ebay etc. at the moment.

steveeverson
04-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, I use one for my EICAS and standbys and it seems to work fine- havent tried it for outside views yet though but i'll do some experiments and let you all know!
steve:)

oal331
04-03-2008, 01:46 AM
I also found some LG 22" TFT monitors USB in the same concept, they donn't need VGA, but...... i didn't manage to find the analysis and performance specifications.

Eddie

BHawthorne
04-03-2008, 02:33 AM
There is a device on the market for £50.00. that boasts to be able to allow you to add extra monitors using USB ports - one device and monitor per port - up to six monitors!!
The company is 'Media Atlantic' based in the UK. www.mediaatlantic.com
I have tried to contact them for more info, but no luck so far.
They say no graphics card required, just USB!!
I wonder if these devices will run an outside view?

Any thoughts anyone?

TONY

Only if you want a slide show. The bandwidth and GPU processing capability simply isn't there for anything other than 2D display on something like that. I'd go so far as to say it would work horrendously in 3D. Only thing it might be able to be used for is 2D panels. I could see pushing gauges with something like this.

magicaldr
04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I also found some LG 22" TFT monitors USB in the same concept, they donn't need VGA, but...... i didn't manage to find the analysis and performance specifications.

Eddie

There was a review in a recent PC Pro (or may have been custom PC, will try to find it) mag on a USB based monitor. Definitely not for 3d stuff, but good for a quick desktop extension. So sure they would as per Steve's experience be good for instrumentation type roles.

manhattan
04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Yes, I use one for my EICAS and standbys and it seems to work fine- havent tried it for outside views yet though but i'll do some experiments and let you all know!
steve:)

Hi Steve.

Have you tried and outside view on your USB to MONITOR setup?
Fascinated to know the result!!

TONY