PDA

View Full Version : Monitors as Cockpit

Fairford
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking of using three monitors for use as a main flight deck . Left side (capt. view) , middle (instruments), right side (FO view). This way I can incorporate different types of aircraft instead of being confined to one particular model. What software is needed to achieve this type of setup , as illustrated in the attached file. Would TH2Go work.

Kennair
04-02-2008, 01:58 PM
As always Fairford, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Yes TH2GO is an option, or even two to cater for panels and outside view. Or install two video cards, hang the TH2GO off one card for outside view and use the two outputs from the other video card for panels. You can take one output for the Capt view and split it via a Y-cord or VGA splitter for the FO, then the second output can be used for the middle screen. All this will put a drain on your system as you start to open new windows to add display, so make sure you have a reasonable PC to accomodate. As stated elsewhere in other threads recently, the current mid-range hardware can run FS9 more than adequately for this. FSX is another matter.

You don't need any special software for this, it's all handled by Windows and FS.

Ken.

BHawthorne
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
That attached picture looks like a nice portable design. If I went wide-body I'd probably go that way as not to totally take a room over. I'd also go with a portable semi-circular screen design.

Generally, any motherboard with a lot of PCIe 16x slots would work well. The AMD 790FX or the nVidia 780i or 790i. Add in there Matrox DH2G or TH2G boxes if needed. That would be a single machine pushing a ton of pixels. There are multi-machine setups that can be used too though. My experience is only with using multi-monitor on a single machine though.