PDA

View Full Version : USB SimKits

bobbosan
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Has anyone used the new USB Simkit gauges yet? If so, how do they perform? Can you tell me the cut-out hole size for the large and small gauges? Just starting to design my cockpit panel. Thanks!
Bobbo

ocpilot
06-13-2008, 10:54 PM
The generic gauges work OK (Although it isn't possible to assemble via their instructions).

The complex instruments suck though...

737NUT
06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
The generic gauges work OK (Although it isn't possible to assemble via their instructions).

The complex instruments suck though...

I can back-up that comment as well, assembly is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What i did was chuck the plastic crap in the trash, i took a real VSI gauge, mounted my own servo and gears, used the usb controller that came with the kit and now i have a realistic operating REAL VSI gauge!! It works very smooth and dead-on accurate to the sim!!

The software is great as well.

Just buy real gauges and the simkits bigger interface board and you will be much happier.

bobbosan
06-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I ordered a pre-built USB Altimeter and it arrived in bad shape with several parts broken. They sent replacement parts and we installed them per instructions. We downloaded proper software to add it to FSX but we never could get it to work properly. We could calibrate it but when we tried to fly with it, FSX would disconnect it everytime. Simkit was no real help in solving the problem. They said they were rewriting the instruction sheet but to date I have received nothing and they were not able to help me out.. After spending over $500 and consideral time, I have junked the gauge. I consider this a very expensive lesson amd will order no further products from them. Buyer beware!

Michael Carter
06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the head's-up on these gauges. I'll look elsewhere for two flap indicators.

Jackpilot
06-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I Use the sIMKIT flaps gauge for the NG
NO prob at all.
Building it was not exactly complicated to figure out.
Totally satisfied.

dnoize
06-14-2008, 11:51 AM
same here...

use several gauges and all work perfectly under both FS9 and FSX, no disconnects whatsoever.

However the instructionsheet can be a bit cryptic ;-), But after some good reading and some patience you can build a good low cost gauge.

The boing flaps gauge can be build as single or dual needle instrument and looks very similar to the real one.

Stef

Westozy
06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the head's-up on these gauges. I'll look elsewhere for two flap indicators.

Hi Mike, don't be put off that easily. Although the assembly instructions are a bit vague, the engineering is sound and the gauges look good. I have a Simkits flap gauge and it took about 20 minutes to figure it out! You would be able to assemble it without any instructions! Talk to Clinton from www.ozziesim.com (http://www.ozziesim.com)

Gwyn

Michael Carter
06-15-2008, 12:36 AM
OK, I may give them a try after all. I know it's not rocket science. ;)

737NUT
06-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Assembly is not hard BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

No one has yet to tell me how you install 4 screws UNDER the gauge face which has to be in place so the needle and it's attached gear is already in place.! I refuse to cut up the gauge face. Either way, i disposed of the toys and am using REAL gauges with the simkits guts. At least they are designed for assembly.

Like i said, i can disassemble and reassemble a real gauge and make it function but not a Simkit! Funny sh##!

ruprecht
07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
bobbosan, the cutout is a 57mm x 57mm rounded-corner square. The instrument face is 82mm x 82mm (for the large gauge config). The USB gauge works ok but is somewhat jittery and if configured as an F-16 ASI (as mine is) there is no way to get the Mach dial to read correctly without writing custom software with the (sparsely documented and lacking in examples) SDK. Otherwise, plug'n'play for basic use. Comes with lots of spare bits you can use for other projects.

ruprecht
07-17-2008, 06:09 AM
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT No one has yet to tell me how you install 4 screws UNDER the gauge face which has to be in place so the needle and it's attached gear is already in place.!

Exactly the problem I had. I simply pushed a sharp compass through the faceplate to make a pilot hole and screwed through the cardboard. Not ideal and frankly bad QA. It may only be on the F-16 ASI - but I doubt they have ever actually built one or they would have noticed this glaring flaw. It needs die-cut screw holes in the appropriate places.

mauriceb
07-17-2008, 08:54 AM
If you do decide to use a Simkits gauge, make sure you don't make the same mistake I made. I saw a document entitled "How to modify a HS-322 Servo" and after reading this manual, I modified my servo only to find out later this made my flap gauge unusable. It works OK now after replacing the servo.
http://www.simkits.com/downloads/documents/Modify%20a%20servo%20HS-322.pdf.
The reason I thought I had to modify it is because of the rotation range of a 737 flap gauge which I believed exceeded the normal rotation range of the HS-322 servo (it doesn't).

The modification apply only to specific gauges and the flap gauge is apparently not one of them. :roll:

Maurice

737NUT
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Where is the simkits experts that replied ealier, my question is still unanswered to this day! :)

I'll stick to modifying real gauges, easier and cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niben
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Hello everyone, I bought a whole 737 gauges from simkits, they all work but the Diff Pressure and Cabin Alt, don't work at all I have tried several values, but nothing seems to work I'm using the pmsystems 106 I'm going to update to the latest version but I guess that won't make any difference, hope someone could help me, thanks.