PDA

View Full Version : Hacking Monitors!

manhattan
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
After contacting Bob Reed about his large dual monitor for outside view setup, and the problem with the centre obstruction caused by the centre ends of the two monitors, I considered taking apart a monitor to see if I can "loose" the plastic surround and perhaps bring together the actual screens thereby doing away with this centre obstruction which Bob says obscures the runway on finals! I might be hoping for too much, but if anybody has tried getting into an lcd flat screen monitor, I would appreciate any comments? If it IS possible, the stripped down screens, could be re-mounted edge to edge on a backboard for security and safety?

Just a thought, and probably not feasable.........

TONY

BHawthorne
03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
If you've thought about it, odds are someone on the internet has done it. ;)

http://www.mikevanelst.com/monitorproject/

PaulEMB
03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Tony,

I stripped the monitors I use on the MIP of my sim - I think there are some pics on my site" MIP Support panel".

On most LCD monitors, you don't gain that much by taking off the plastic, unless of course there are speakers mounted there - the metal frame of the monitor is about 1cm wide once the plastic is removed.

Michael Carter
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Samsung and Hanns seem to have monitors with the narrowest frame bezels.

Dell are some of the largest. Don't know about others.

rt72
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
As others have said, it's going to depend on the monitor brand whether or not you get any benefit. The bare lcd modules are all about the same.

You could try to use fresnel lenses to magnify both images a bit and eliminate the bezel alltogether. I haven't actually done it, but I know it's possible.

manhattan
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Tony,

I stripped the monitors I use on the MIP of my sim - I think there are some pics on my site" MIP Support panel".

On most LCD monitors, you don't gain that much by taking off the plastic, unless of course there are speakers mounted there - the metal frame of the monitor is about 1cm wide once the plastic is removed.

Hi Paul.

Your sim is very impressive!!
The reason why I wanted to strip a couple of LCD monitors was to eliminate the centre divide that is typical of most jets. However, I notice that you have a fairly large divide in the front view area yourself. You presumeably built this in for authenticity - but does it restrict your view on finals? I do also notice in one of your screen shots, that the runway on approach appears in captains window, and not in the exact centre. Do you think perhaps that the projected image as oppose to monitors "in your face" might have something to do with the centre divide not getting in the way?

Thanks.

TONY

Trevor Hale
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Tony. Keep in mind most aircraft have a center mullion. This only tends to impeed the approach from quite a distance away from the field. Remember as you get closer to the runway, the image gets bigger and bigger.

Your second option is to go with the Matrox Tripple or Duel head to go digital module. This unit takes into account the divide between the monitors and shifts the image so your don't loose anything. Keep that in mind.

Trev

sbecker777
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Here's what I did to strip 3 NEC 19" LCD panels and build a custom rack to hold all three with my TH2Go.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/421794696_6b926e0562.jpg
Steve

Michael Carter
03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
That looks great. I mean really great. Just as though you were looking out the forward windscreen.

I have to ask though, on a Boeing airliner there is only one center pillar on the windscreen, unlike Douglas designs, and that would bother me to have two seams in the viewing area.

Using a 3HTG, wouldn't it make more sense on a Boeing to use two larger(wider) monitors to give the same amount of area with the seam in the middle and then maybe use the third option for a panel display, or is this not possible with the 3HTG?

Would you have to use the 2HTG?

jmig
03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I use a TH2Go. You really don't see the dead strips between the monitors while flying. Your brain just ignores them.

sbecker777
03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Here's a slightly later version with the center post. Sorry for the odd camera angle, but still shows what it will do with a real center post.

http://home.san.rr.com/mbecker3/Steve%20site/Photos_files/Sim%20June.jpg

Steve

BHawthorne
03-07-2008, 03:31 AM
I use a TH2Go. You really don't see the dead strips between the monitors while flying. Your brain just ignores them.

Same here. You really tune them out and forget about them with daily use.

manhattan
03-07-2008, 04:33 AM
That looks great. I mean really great. Just as though you were looking out the forward windscreen.

I have to ask though, on a Boeing airliner there is only one center pillar on the windscreen, unlike Douglas designs, and that would bother me to have two seams in the viewing area.

Using a 3HTG, wouldn't it make more sense on a Boeing to use two larger(wider) monitors to give the same amount of area with the seam in the middle and then maybe use the third option for a panel display, or is this not possible with the 3HTG?

Would you have to use the 2HTG?

As I have already pointed out - via Bob Reed, with very large monitors, the centre pillar is equal to twice the width of the left and right edges of the monitor centre, and can be as much as four or five inches! especially with
37" or
42" monitors which need good support for the actual screen. The centre pillar is right on top of the outside view instead of sat back as with a projection screen which would allow you to look "around" this pillar to some extent. I think this is why those with projectors, don't experience so much of a problem?

TONY

chrisdanker
03-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Steve,

What a nice 777 setup. I really like your cockpit. Just curious about your Throttle Quardrant.....where did you get it or did you make it yourself?

Very professional indeed.

Regards,
Chris

sbecker777
03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the kind words! The throttle bodies are from FDS as are the panels, but the flap lever and detents, speedbrake lever, trim handle, the housing and stab/fuel cutoff switches are all mine. I have a CHTQ under it all. Here's a link to some info on how I did it.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2013&start=0

Steve

chrisdanker
03-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Steve,

What a great job....and rightly so that so many others have also praised your job on the TQ. I am impressed that the use of the CH Throttles was an easy solution to making a TQ work. I have also done something for a simple TQ on B737cockpit ( See Pic Attached ) by using my old SAFELINE Throttles that were spoilt and replacing the POT's with 100K POT's and trying to connect them to my CP Flight MCP / MCPEX1 board. Havent got around to testing them yet. Just made a rougn prototype Throttle out of a 10" diameter PVC Tube and cut it in half. Was going to put in some switched for the Fuel Cut-Off and STAB Cut- Outs but now having seen your idea, I think I am going to switch to your idea of using the CH TQ.

Question though, I cant seem to find the B777 Throttle Kit in the FDS site. Do they still do it?

Also Steve, I was wondering if you could share as many of your plans as possible for the making of the TQ with the extensions and all the bits and pieces for the Flaps etc...DO you have other drawings....I sure hope so as I will definitely start on it the if I have have the plans as I have an excess of MDF sheets in my home......just waiting to become a B777 TQ...Maybe you could PM me the drawings?

Once again, it great work done on your TQ..

Cheers

Chris