PDA

View Full Version : Good visuals

aviaparts
02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I have tried diferent solutions for outside visualisation and so far the best way, in my opinion is using DLP rear projection televisions.
A good example for this is this one :

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-t5087s/4505-6484_7-32313066.html

It has a bezel of only 1 centimeter, so combining 2 or more of these gives great result.
The advantage is that you don't have to work with mirrors, screens, projectors. Resolution is great and combinations are easy. TH2GO or like in my case, complete wrap around with only 3 tv's (GA cockpit).

Down side is that these televisions are difficult to find in Europe, the newer D-ILA versions are but cost quit more. USA is no problem.

BHawthorne
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I have tried diferent solutions for outside visualisation and so far the best way, in my opinion is using DLP rear projection televisions.

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-t5087s/4505-6484_7-32313066.html

It has a bezel of only 1 centimeter, so combining 2 or more of these gives great result.
The advantage is that you don't have to work with mirrors, screens, projectors. Resolution is great and combinations are easy. TH2GO or like in my case, complete wrap around with only 3 tv's (GA cockpit).

Down side is that these televisions are difficult to find in Europe, the newer D-ILA versions are but cost quit more. USA is no problem.

Technically, you are working with mirrors, screens and projectors...they're just built into the tv. ;)

AndyT
02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Wow. At $1300. US I could maybe afford 1 but 3?!

Now I do see old projection TVs on the street on occasion. I was thinking I could salvage the fresnel lenses from them and hook them into a 3HTgo type system...

BHawthorne
02-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow. At $1300. US I could maybe afford 1 but 3?!

Now I do see old projection TVs on the street on occasion. I was thinking I could salvage the fresnel lenses from them and hook them into a 3HTgo type system...

I've actually torn 1 apart awhile back. I wanted the lenses out of it to maybe make a HUD projector. It went bad after 10 years of use. I have a second 1080i tv in the basement too that went bad under extended warranty so we got a full refund. That second one works about half the time but the DLP light engine is flaky on it.

What I learned by taking apart the first one is they use a flexible mylar mirror material to project onto the viewscreen. Sorta surprised me that the mylar mirror is just stretched reflective plastic over a frame and the screen is a refracting clear material that it's projected onto. It's little more than a short throw projector + mirror + back projected screen in a box. :)

IMHO, it's cheaper and more immersive to go projector than rear-projection tv.

Bob Reed
02-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Here is the link to the one I built in DC http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=543 His uses 3 61" DLP projection TVs with a very small outside frame. The visuals are breath taking!! The left and right side views there are 50" Plasmas...

Padraig
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I was thinking of going down the route with 3 LCD Projectors on a full 180^ screen with the Sol software on rear projection screens. I have been talking to this AU company about their software and they stated that TH2go and TH3 is in the alpha stage at the moment. I have one of these projectors I got for about 320 straight from factory which is cheap and its really works well. The lamps are only 25 Euro or less and last about 6 to 8 thousand hrs.

But im finding it hard to find rear projection screens. Do they cost alot more that normal glass beaded ones ?

aviaparts
02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Well that was a bit my point, if you buy a good projector with a rear projection screen you will pay at least the same as the DLP TV. The advantage of the TV is that the lens is short throw so it takes minimum space unlike a projector. And finally, if you plan to put the screen right out of the windows of the cockpit, you can't go bigger on image because you will start to see pixels.

Padraig
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Your right, I forgot about the space required from the projector to your screen. You would need a good decent size room for the hole outfit including the cockpit. 1.8 meters is the max for getting it as close to the screen with a 60" projection screen