PDA

View Full Version : Simkits users

aviaparts
02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I wonder wat to do, is it a good idea to buy the simkits in the kit version or would it be better to buy the instruments assembled and tested. If I only look at the cost, of course the kit is cheaper but is it worth it ?

dnoize
02-24-2008, 04:43 PM
they are very easy to assemble. Please note that the servo's are not part of the kit, but these can be sourced for 7 euros from rc stores.

737NUT
02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
they are very easy to assemble. Please note that the servo's are not part of the kit, but these can be sourced for 7 euros from rc stores.

Question, how did you tighten the 4 retainer screws under the gauge face plate??? This is on the USB version.

dnoize
02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
i only build the small instruments and the screws arent covered by the faceplates for the small instruments.

I have one unassembled kit here and i see what you mean....with the large instruments you have to assemble the faceplate with needle, gears and servos first and then you have to screw it onto the case....strange because by then the faceplate covers the position of the retainer screws.

strange.....we must be overlooking something.

btw, the pdf manual here: http://www.simkits.com/downloads/documents/Manual%20USB%20Gauge.pdf is somewhat clearer than the supplied manual in print, but still doesnt show how to do this with the large instruments. Maybe someone else who build a large instrument can tell.

Meanwhile ill puzzle some more this evening :-) And i'll make it a differential pressure gauge in the process ;-)

Stef

aviaparts
02-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh OK thanks,

I'll puzzle myself then.
Just a quick question for you guys then, on the simkits website I didn't find cutout dimensions and drilling holes dimensions, they do have a CAD document to download but I can't open them.
The only thing I would like to know is the distance between the fixing holes (from centre to centre) of the large gauges, that would be a great help as I plan to drill them tomorrow ;-)

Thanks !

737NUT
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
i only build the small instruments and the screws arent covered by the faceplates for the small instruments.

I have one unassembled kit here and i see what you mean....with the large instruments you have to assemble the faceplate with needle, gears and servos first and then you have to screw it onto the case....strange because by then the faceplate covers the position of the retainer screws.

strange.....we must be overlooking something.

btw, the pdf manual here: http://www.simkits.com/downloads/documents/Manual%20USB%20Gauge.pdf is somewhat clearer than the supplied manual in print, but still doesnt show how to do this with the large instruments. Maybe someone else who build a large instrument can tell.

Meanwhile ill puzzle some more this evening :-) And i'll make it a differential pressure gauge in the process ;-)

Stef

LOL! I wasted 3-4hrs trying to figure how to perform that miracle! I even tried to pray. I ended up cutting the hole bigger in the center of the gauge face and slide it over the pointer. I hide the bigger hole by installing a small disk over the center of the pointer. Looks good but for the price, shouldn't have to COBBLE it together!

superconnie
03-16-2008, 10:32 AM
My experience with Simkits (I have assembled 18 Instruments so far) is that you always have to be ready to go a slightly different way as the manual says.
The assembly manuals are not bad but they also have some errors. And sometimes parts simply don't fit and have to be modified a bit. But for an experienced plastic model builder that should not be a problem.

For the panels cutouts... I made my panel of 3mm aluminum and I started with cutting the 80mm and 57mm holes. Then I took a completed instrument as a template to mark the position of the small holes.
At the end, the bigger holes for the instruments with knobs were made on the necessary positions.

Christian

Jan737
03-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Simkits builders :)

The thing I want to know is, how smooth are the movements using servo's ?
For example the APU EGT gauge, what are the "steps" the needle make?

Hope you can help.

Best regards
Jan Geurtsen

superconnie
03-16-2008, 11:26 AM
The movements are very smooth. There are no steps you can see....

It depends a bit on how careful you assembled the instruments. You always have to check gears and other movable parts because there are sometimes leftovers from the manufacturing.
But if you test everything and use some lubricant for the parts, the instruments behave very well.
If a needle jumps, then you have too much friction somewhere in the mechanic.

I recommend to use the original servos from Simkits. I tried another type on an instrument and it was vibrating all the time. Not visible but the servo got hot after a while.
And the original servos fit exactly on the mounting plate inside the instrument. I don't know if other servos will fit without problems. It certainly depends on the type of instrument.

Christian

Jan737
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Christian.
That,s what I'm looking for.

Jan