PDA

View Full Version : Beamers????????????

manhattan
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Folks.

Thinking of using projectors for outside views.
I know nothing about them, but have got some info to hand -

Resolution XGA.
ANSI 2100
LCD/DLP

Example Mitsubishi xd420u XGA Projector. £400

Can anyone tell me what these expressions mean? Am I in the right area?

Can anyone with experience of projector use, point me in the right direction - maybe suggest what I should consider at a reasonable price?

Thanks a lot.

TONY

737NUT
02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
You want a native rsolution of 1024x768 or higher, brightness is misrepresented so ignore it as they all are close anyways. You need a short throw as well which allows you more options in placement. LCD is not as good as DLP, DLP has smaller pixels and looks much less 'grainey' or screen door effect.

I have a nice projector foe sale if you are intersted, it's in the classified section.

Lezam
02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
How long do these projectors usually last? I heard that the bulbs last for about 100 hours each, is that correct?

BHawthorne
02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
How long do these projectors usually last? I heard that the bulbs last for about 100 hours each, is that correct?

2000 hours per bulb. $350 retail per lamp assembly. I've posted elsewhere in the forums of a source for $60 per bulb. You'd have to put the bulb into a lamp assembly by yourself if you want to go that route though. It's a similar lifespan to rear projection HDTVs as far as bulb and overall hardware life. Technology is similar, just packaged different.

737NUT
02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
There are 2 settings on most newer PJ's, 2000hrs std life up to 3000hrs on econo mode.

manhattan
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
There are 2 settings on most newer PJ's, 2000hrs std life up to 3000hrs on econo mode.

Hi again.

Been looking around at projectors. Came across the Toshiba ET10 and ET20.

They are VERY short throw, and can project an image of 52 inches at a distance of only 18 inches. For a bigger image, move back a few more inches!

Resolution 854x480
DLP
16:9 format
Average price £500 to £600

As they are so close to the area being projected upon, I figured that even with 854x480, the image should be good? I would hope to use one for back projection with the screen almost touching the windowed area of the cockpit.

Advertised for use with gamers, home cinema etc.

Anyone seen or heard of them? Any use? Any opinions?

Thanks.

TONY

HitchHiker
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM

Well thats garbage, 100 hrs? I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay the cash for a beamer if the bulb only lasted 100hrs. My infocus lp640 is rated at 2000 hrs, at three years old I'm at close to 3000 hours. The bulb is starting to lose its earlier quality but is still in great shape in terms of the picture quality. I've used the **** out of mine for movies, flight sims, FPS games **** I even used it in a haunted house we put on for our yacht club. That said I'd like to say I use mine well over average, and have pretty good results, no great, no outstanding results.........

Chris

EDIT: Tony I dont think those proj.s will cut it you need something with 1024x768 reso.

BHawthorne
02-26-2008, 02:47 AM
You really should shoot for a 1280x720, 1280x768 or 1024x768. I suggest not skimping on your projection because visually, it's very key to the quality of whatever you end up with. You could make the coolest simpit enclosure ever and if you're running visuals off of a low lumen, low resolution projector you're going to probably get frustrated with the quality of play vs. the time invested in the build. If it can't hold good resolution visually, I'd hold off and save up so you can. Personally, if I had the cash I'd be using 1080p projectors, but I guess I can still dream. ;)

Keep in mind that investing in a projector doesn't just have to be for the simpit. It is too cool watching HDTV movies on a 12'x8' wall. I use my HDTV cable set top box with my projectors. :D

manhattan
02-26-2008, 04:02 AM
Well thats garbage, 100 hrs? I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay the cash for a beamer if the bulb only lasted 100hrs. My infocus lp640 is rated at 2000 hrs, at three years old I'm at close to 3000 hours. The bulb is starting to lose its earlier quality but is still in great shape in terms of the picture quality. I've used the **** out of mine for movies, flight sims, FPS games **** I even used it in a haunted house we put on for our yacht club. That said I'd like to say I use mine well over average, and have pretty good results, no great, no outstanding results.........

Chris

EDIT: Tony I dont think those proj.s will cut it you need something with 1024x768 reso.

I need the short throw - or it's back to the monitors!!!! My cockpit is fixed in an 8x12ft room!

TONY

BHawthorne
02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I need the short throw - or it's back to the monitors!!!! My cockpit is fixed in an 8x12ft room!

TONY

Use some first surface mirrors to do short throw then. I've heard about people using them. I got to see it first hand at a NASCAR simulator at Bass Pro shop in Springfield, MO a few weeks ago. It works surprisingly well for short throw. :)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6609/095ft9.jpg

737NUT
02-26-2008, 06:17 PM

TONY

The PJ i have for sale is 11' from the screen and has a 95" diagonal screen! How much shorter do you want?