PDA

View Full Version : FSX crashing

BlackWidow
02-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Hello all

Well a few days ago i upgraded my MB, CPU and Memory

I am now running an ASUS CrossHair with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor With GeIL Esoteria 8GB(4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) and finally my video card is ASUS GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI My frame rates have doubled which is what i wanted.

BUT now everytime i am in full screen mode (the only mode i fly) if i hit ALT and go into the menu and select for example Controls the Sim will CTD. I have updated all drivers. I did not get this situation on my other MB and CPU I am not overclocking anything. It is really frustrating. I have removed FSX and reinstalled the prgoram (still not working) Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong? is anyone else experincing this problem?

Thanks everyone.

Rodney
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Are you running Vista? Have you looked in your event viewer for errors? Try pulling ram down to 4 Gb. Too many things it could be, numerous posts on other sites on CTD.

James Twomey
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Mike,

Yes, my FSX is doing the same thing. What I found out though, is that the installation of SP2 or acceleration, is the cause. From what i understand, they are trying to work out the solution. When you stay flying in full screen, or just stay in the window mode, it will not crash.

Hope this helps.

James

dcutugno
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I remember FRAPS whas the cause, try uninstall it and then update it to a newer version, i might be wrong!

BlackWidow
02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I read that too on another Forum I removed it from the HDD but still did not help. I will still try to install the latest version since i dont think i upgraded it.

Thanks

BlackWidow
02-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Well i just updated FRAPS and that did not work.

jmig
02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I had the same problem with a 7900 card. It is something with nVirdia drivers and FSX I found that if you go to window then, you can open the menus at the top.

Interestingky, when I upgraded to a 8800GT the problem went away.

Tim
02-23-2008, 09:08 AM
I can confirm that FSX's SP2 does indeed cause crashes.

I tried ever trick/fix I read about at Avsim and SimFlight forums. Video drivers, FSX display, Bios, and .cfg file settings but nothing fixed the crashes. I then read a post to un-install SP2. That and only that fixed my crashes.

If I remember correctly, launch the SP2 installer like you are doing an installation. A screen will dsiplay asking if you want to install or un-install. If the un-install does not fix your crashes, you can always re-install SP2.

And yes, I am completely disappointed that MS will not release additional FSX support packs to correct ALL the issues. I do believe MS is sending the wrong signal to users and causing flight sim developers close their doors!

Peter Dowson
02-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I can confirm that FSX's SP2 does indeed cause crashes.

I think the well-known Menu crash (which oddly I've never experienced, but then I'm using Acceleration not SP2), can be avoided by using the keyboard to get into the menus, not the mouse. I think once you are into a menu dialogue you are okay and safe to use the mouse.

So, it is a matter of doing key presses like ALT W A to get to the Go To Airport dialogue, ALT O E D for display options. ALT D F for FSUIPC, and so on.

Regards

Pete

BlackWidow
02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Its funny that now with the new MB and CPU I am now getting the crashes but on my previous setup it was rock solid.

BlackWidow
02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Peter

Thanks for the Info. I an at least access the menu bar now with out crashing useing the keyboard. Im upgrading to a new Graphics card soon so hopefully that will solve the issue.

Thanks again