PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Building a "generic" Boeing cockpit

AnglaisEnUzes
02-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm starting to design a "generic" Boeing cockpit system to use in FS2004/FSX.

My goal is not absolute accuracy, or to build a replica cockpit. I plan to use 2 12U rack cases (http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_12he_live.htm) originally designed for audio or lighting equipment with blanking panels on the front, one each side of my dual monitors. The left hand rack will be an emulation of the "overhead" panel, and the right hand one will have much of the main controls on.

Rack "blanking" panels are quite cheap, and they will only need drilling, spraying, and then have transfers applying (I have a friend who can make rub on transfers for me from Adobe Illustrator files).

The idea is mainly to have some tactile controls to use with FS. I will make them as realistic as possible, but (for example), things like flaps and gear will simply be rotary switches, and obviously being a generic cockpit (which can be used for a 737, 747, or 777), there will be some compromises on the way.

I am also buying an OpenCockpits MCP and 747 FMC - the FMC will become part of one of the racks, while the FMC will sit below the monitors.

Cheers!

Martin

Bob Reed
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Martin and welcome to the fruit basket! Always nice to see new blood in her even if it is not new to pit building. Lots of folks in here to help and be helped. And we like pictures! So grab a coffee and and sit back and enjoy the ride!

Trevor Hale
02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Martin,

As Bob said, welcome to the Fruit Basket. We are ally nuts here about flight simulation. Welcome to Mycockpit.org. It's great to see you have done enough research to have come up with a plan. The idea for everyone is compromise where you can to save money and still be happy with your setup.

So pull up a chair and enjoy your stay.

Best regards,

Trev

AnglaisEnUzes
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys :)

I'm delving into the FCOMs over the next few days.

Attached is my initial concept for a dual 747/777 electrical panel. This will give some idea of what I am trying to achieve.

I am probably going to be building at 75-80% of full scale...

Cheers!

Martin

David Rogers
02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I like your approach Martin - I too have found that absolute accuracy can not always give you maximum pleasure from a sim, depending on your preferences.

After building part 737NG and A320 sims, I have now adapted my approach to a generic pit.

Couple of weeks ago I was having a blast flying the feelThere Airbus Series, last week it was PMDG 747, and this week I am having great fun flying the feelThere Caravan!

Look forward to seeing your progress :)