PDA

View Full Version : what sort of area are your sims taking up?

Geremy Britton
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
i was just wondering what area your sim is taking up because i now have a dedicated " sim room" but wondering what sort of room would be best. so could you provide me with some dimentions and i can get a general idea of what room is taken up by the full sim. i am bouilding a half sim (ie captains side only) this would be best however full cockpit measurements would be fine.

your advice would be much appreciated:)
thanks

Trevor Hale
02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Geremy,

My sim room uses a rear projection setup, so I need a long room to give me full width on the screen.

I have a full sized cockpit and can safely say my room is 16 feet wide (5m aprox) X 19 feet (aprox 6m long)

And I have a ceiling height of 8 feet (aprox 2.5m high)

Hope that helps..

Trev

BlackWidow
02-20-2008, 10:05 PM
12ft x 20ft with a celing height of 7ft at the lowest point (sides) up to a pitch of 14ft this is the space that I have allocated to my Sim.

737NUT
02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I have a 12x14 room with 7'6" ceiling. I will be using the full size shell from FDS sitting on an 8" tall base. Top of sim will be 6'9"

Michael Carter
02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
4'x3' for the MIP and the center control stand extends the three feet out to about 7'.

Mine is only two-thirds of the MIP though, so it would be another 20" wider if it was complete.

Westozy
02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
My steel sim frame is about 1.5m square and sits down one end of a 4m x 5m room, the projector is 3.2 metres from the screen and the picture is 2m wide. I left enough room behind the seats for 'jump seat' observers who can sit on the window shelf.

Gwyn

Geremy Britton
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
yeah, i forgot to bear in mind when i decide to invest in a projector for visuals i will need an appropriate lenth so the projector focuses to a large size so i will need quite long room.

Efe Cem Elci
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately (!) an ever-increasing area. Just finished my second shuffling around of the room in as many weeks.

steveeverson
02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
have mine in a 7x12ft ish spare room - used a wide angle lens from a camcorder on my projector to enlarge the image for the short throw.
Although I am toying with the idea of moving the sim to the garage as it's a bit longer and i'll be able to get some more cabin in. But I think my love of tinkering with old cars might be a problem there.....having said that, as i'm in the mycockpit madhouse, the sim wins every time!

aviaparts
02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
mine is 7 by 4 meter with and 3.5 m high with the motion system in mind ;-) as it is hosting a piper twin now and used to have a Boeing cockpit inside, the room is big enough for some extra accomodations like flight planning desk ...

Geremy Britton
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
that sure is an advantage of a bigger room you can get things like a flight plan desk, cabin, motion system, better visuals etc. thanks for your help guys keep it coming if neccessary!:)

David Rogers
02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
My sim lives in our converted attic. It's a full converson, with proper stairwell up to the attic, full 'Dormer' windows, etc. It's about 12' x 12' and houses just my sim and a music production workstation.

I love being "up in the attic", it gives a real sense of being somewhere different! And as I about 30' up in the air, I am pretty much flying for real ! :)

philouk
02-22-2008, 07:54 AM
My sim is in a 1.8m wide by 4m long caravan which leaves little room to work,
all the main MDF & timber cutting has to be done out side.
Building of the cockpit is restricted but the upside is that Knowing that I shall be moving house in five years I don't have to take it apart and rebuild it.
Also I have a real under carriage with real tires to kick,lol. Unfortunatly I
can't use a projection screen which is the way I would have liked to go.
Phil.

Tomlin
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
My 'hangar' is still to be finished on the inside but the basic demensions are 16.5 x 16.5 x 8.5 feet.

Im glad someone else has already figured out that you can use mirrors to shorten the throw distance!