PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft type decision

BlackWidow
02-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Why so much intrest in the Boeing series and the Airbus in simpit building as opposed to other aircraft? Is it simply because of the software and hardware available for theese two aircraft types or is it something else? What made you decide on the type of aircraft you are building? Im just curious to know what was the key reason for building the type sim you are building?

(not posted for anyone in particular)

Matt Olieman
02-15-2008, 08:26 PM
My project, the A340.

Simple reason, it looked clean, modern, and I wanted a 4 engine plane. Not necessarily a wise choice. Particularly now, as far as I know, no one makes A340 panels, and you certainly can't buy the real thing.... no where to be found.

Michael Carter
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Mainly because I always wanted to fly the 727. There was no more beautiful aircraft at the time than the 727 while in regular service.

Secondly, because only one person had ever built a working 727 simulator that I was aware of. I didn't want what everyone else was building.

I also love a challenge. Not neccesarily while I'm being challenged at a certain point, but the overall challenge. The engineering, thinking 'outside the box', using my imagination creativity, and ingenuity to solve problems.

Gsey
02-16-2008, 12:39 AM
747-400. Favorite aircraft. Dont like longhaul though so its the domestic variant. same cockpit, 737 type performance.

Gary

btlnco
02-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Well,
My first choice would be the 757/67 set up, but I have limited space.
I wish i could make a shell of the 757 fit in the space i have, but i know i wont be at this location for long, and moving a 757 cockpit, doesn't sound fun.
looked at the lear, since i can fit the shell in half a bedroom. but its not my type of plane to fly. I fly more regional flights around the west coast (USA). so my options are 737,CRJ, A320 which there are plenty of parts available to build a sim.
but im also have the mindset like Boeing skunk works, i want something thats not usual in the community.
So what am I gonna build? I have no Idea :roll:
I have found a plane that I have taken a liking too, but alas, no one will ever make parts for it. since it never flew, the Dornier 728, and there is little info on the plane, other than general specs information. Its similar to the ERJ180, but, man the yokes on that are just plain funky :razz:

so I fly with my 19" monitor, modified ch throttle, and a saitek cyborge joystick, and reading everyones posts, dreaming :D
Jason

AndyT
02-16-2008, 03:24 AM
If you like the Dor 728, then build it. Make your own parts. Many of us have had to do that since many of our pits are non-standard.

I really love the Cheyenne but I'm at an impasse between the Cheyenne, The Twin Otter or the Rockwell Commander. All three are fab planes and I just can't decide which to go with. A lot of my decision comes from the fact that there are no good Commanders for FSX. The Twotter and the Cheyenne were both just released for FSX and so I'm stuck trying to decide. The Commander is my fav...

BlackWidow
02-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Andy you mean the 500 right. If you like the 115 FSD has one comeing out soon (i hope) That is just stunnning

AndyT
02-16-2008, 03:52 AM
The Aero-Commander. My all-time favorite plane for a number of different reasons. If you own a real one and want to get rid of it....
:o

BlackWidow
02-16-2008, 03:56 AM
I dont own a real one but i do Know of one just rotting away at my local airport. everynow and then the wind will pick it up and put it on its tail. It probably has more taxi time then i have Sim time and ive been around since FS98 LOL

AndyT
02-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Really? Oh now I'm dreaming... *drooling as I imagine the possibilities...*

Do you know who owns it? What airport?

BlackWidow
02-16-2008, 04:14 AM
I have called the airport director 3 times and have had no luck in his return call it is at KTSP (Tehacahpi Muni) not more then 4 blocks form my house. When i start my PPL lessons i will try to find out who owns it. I will try to get some pics of it tommorow so you can see it. Last year the City put smoke grenades in it for fourth of july.

AndyT
02-16-2008, 04:21 AM
If you live within 4 blocks of the airport, I'm looking at your house in Google Earth...

An 'N' number will tell me who owns the plane.

Lezam
02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I picked the 757/767 series because those are the aircraft I fly most. The other option was the 777, but Nico's easy integration with level d really pushed me toward the 767. Another plus about using Level D is that I can use a 757 merge with project opensky, and have a home cockpit which both serves a 767 and 757 flightdeck.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7466/stickernogotn1.jpg

phil744
02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
My Head says build a 747-400 (because of its small size, simple, can be all glass display and because im a 747 nut! and not to mention I fly monthly on one)

My Heart says Build a 767/757 (Because im more of a steam gauge fan than glass display's and I love the mix of old and new you find on a 767 and also an A300/A310 but dont get me going on that one. Down side is very complex)

My Balls say build Concorde! (no comment needed here)

I tell every one im going the 747-400 route, but to be honest i havnt really decided yet, think im going the big Boeing route, so until I make my mind up im building common parts used on all.

NicD
02-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm suprised more people aren't going the 757/767 route. Sure there are more parts around for the 737, but with Nico's interface software you can save an awful lot on software and still get a highly functional and rock-solid glass cockpit with full AFDS / FMC etc. The Level-D 767 software and model is still state-of-the-art.

And nothing flies like a 767 .. it is the most superbly balanced and inuitive machine in the sky I reckon (have flown a real level-D 767 sim, and Ian Cameron's fixed base 767 sim)

BlackWidow
02-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Where can one find Nico's Interface software?

Lezam
02-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Where can one find Nico's Interface software?

www.nicokaan.nl

BlackWidow
02-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you Sir

Lezam
02-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Thank you Sir

Enjoy, theres such a mass of information there it will take you days to cover it :)