PDA

View Full Version : Vasfmc

BlackWidow
02-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Anyone ever used or heard of this http://vas-project.org/vasfmc-flight-management-computer/ Its free, uses FSUIPC and WideFS so I am going to download it and give it a try.

SAS541
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Mike,

I use vasfmc with my setup. I don't have a pit yet, but do have multiple screens and pc's.

version 1.10 is ok, but the new aplha testing version 2.05a is much better, as it has the possibility to look like a boeing or airbus CDU/FMC.

It seems to work really well using widefs and you can update it from navigraph as well with the latest Airac.

______
Benja

BlackWidow
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I tired it out and it does seem quite good. the only thing i have not found is if there is keyboard commands for it. It would be awsome to be able to use it with out using the mouse. I did not know that it was updatable with navigraph i will defintly update it with the latest cycle. It does work great over wideFS too. Thanks

SAS541
02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Mike,

Isn't there some kind of mouse to key software available that you could use? I think i remember seeing something on the site i downloaded FSUIPC from.

I am thinking about getting my hands on an old Point of Sale terminal with a touch screen and using it on that, as most of the more recent ones can run XP.

It works great for holds as well. I recevied 2 different holds last week during a Vatsim flyin and vasfmc handled them really well.

BlackWidow
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
It is called Key2Mouse.. http://www.wideview.it/key2mouse.htm I have never used it but I know there are memebers of this fourm who do use it. Its something I might try once I am closer to building that portion of my sim.

Tomlin
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Mike

Are you still working toward the LJ45 now?

BlackWidow
02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Since i have not actually started work on any particular sim yet I am keeping all of my options open. I still favor the CRJ or the LJ45 and another option which i am pursuing so we shall see.

AlexW
02-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi,

Actually you can control various items via FSUIPC offsets. The next version will contain even more controls.

regards, Alex

I tired it out and it does seem quite good. the only thing i have not found is if there is keyboard commands for it. It would be awsome to be able to use it with out using the mouse. I did not know that it was updatable with navigraph i will defintly update it with the latest cycle. It does work great over wideFS too. Thanks

mhserrano
02-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi to everyone,:D

I use and apreciate very much vasFMC, because these software have PFD, ND and MCDU displays who makes it suitable to fly an A320 pit like mine.

You have keyboard controls, just put mouse pointer over ND display for example, and click right mouse button. It will appear context menu for that display with keyboard shortcuts inside parenthesis, like [V] to switch on-off VOR information.

There is informaion also on the software documentation.

I use these program with my IOcards (opencockpits) electronics, assigning switches and ledīs via IOcards -> FSUIPC -> vasFMC

Hope iīve help you.

Regards

Marco Serrano

AlexW
02-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi,

Btw, i would be really curious to see pictures of homecockpits using vasFMC. :)

regards, Alex

Tomlin
02-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi,

Btw, i would be really curious to see pictures of homecockpits using vasFMC. :)

regards, Alex

I would too, because at this point I have a hard time understanding how well it could be implemented when someone is using Project Magenta RJ software. That's where my issues lie- do I have to use the ND from vasFMC to get any function from it?

AlexW
02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi,

Sorry, I don't understand the question. vasFMC 2.x comes with a CDU, ND, PFD (and an ECAM i am currently working on) all components are working together.

regards, Alex

I would too, because at this point I have a hard time understanding how well it could be implemented when someone is using Project Magenta RJ software. That's where my issues lie- do I have to use the ND from vasFMC to get any function from it?

Bob Reed
02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think it would work with PM. If I recall right, this software works with the FS auto pilot. If it is it's own autopilot it may work, but it will not show up in the displays with like your magenta line. There is a way to get the line in the PM software but if you made changes in flight they would not show up on the ND. You would also not get like VS speeds in the displays and so forth.

Tomlin
02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks Bob, that was basically what I was thinking.

Tomlin
02-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Sorry, I don't understand the question. vasFMC 2.x comes with a CDU, ND, PFD (and an ECAM i am currently working on) all components are working together.

regards, Alex

Alex

Many of us building Full Size cockpits are already using an avionics display software, such as the Project Magenta avionics display software.

What is really needed though is a feature rich FMC software that can be used on a network, that will display Flight Plan info on the Project Magenta software. Im confident to say that if someone could produce such a software, there would be a nice market for it. At this time the FMC/CDU software from Project Magenta is not available for the Regional Jet package and is in need, and there's no announced plans to complete the product that Im aware of.

Just as there's a few other products that have successfully integrated their function into the Project Magenta software, such as the weather program SA WXR, it is possible (in my mind) to create a stand alone program that would allow the user to load in weight/performance info into a FMS software and it display VSpeeds and route info on the Project Magenta ND and PFD.

What are your thoughts Alex? It could make you quite some bucks, I'd think!

Trevor Hale
02-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Eric.

Think about what you are saying. Do you really think that Some 3rd party would get permission from Project magenta to create a program that would have access to the internal workings of their PM software that would allow the 3rd party to make a profit from such software. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just ask Cadbury's to provide the secret to getting the filling inside the caramilk bar?

I understand what your saying, but seriously, this won't ever happen.

Trev

Tomlin
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Of course it'd be easier to get the secret filling from Cadbury than getting permission from PM to access their code!

No, I dont think that's required. Please understand that I am admittedly not familiar at all with programming, etc. and this is probably (like many things) much easier said than done.

However, if Florian Praxmarer can make the weather show up on the PM screens, why couldnt an add-on FMC package do the same? Changing info in MSFS causes changes to occur on the PM screens, so why couldnt it run along side of MS/PM and put the info where it goes on the PM software?

However, as I think about this more and more, I realize and admit that this is very debatable as to if it would be an acceptable thing to do. However, at it's core I see it no different than buying MSFS and plugging some addon into it.

If it causes offense, I truly am sorry and dont mean to try to cause debate or bad feelings, but if a process could be implemented that doesnt violate the PM EULA, then I see it as an add-on just like any other add-on from a 3rd party.

Trevor Hale
02-15-2008, 04:57 PM
However, if Florian Praxmarer can make the weather show up on the PM screens, why couldnt an add-on FMC package do the same? Changing info in MSFS causes changes to occur on the PM screens, so why couldnt it run along side of MS/PM and put the info where it goes on the PM software?

Ahhh Eric Son, Because PM gets its wether radar from a static PICTURE (Gif/JPG/or something of the sort)
Florian just renames the image to the same name that the pm software is looking for.

Changing the magenta line on the ND with flightsim is cause you have the ND set to read a flightsim flight plan. But as for have a 3rd party software access the code in PM to change the magenta line, thats a different ball game.

Either way, no offense is created, Its just that you need to think of the software writer when you say things like this.

For example. How would PMDG like it if someone else wrote a software that would allow the CPFLIGHT MCP to communicate with their airplane, without people needing to buy the license to do that.

It is a very touchy subject, and you need to think of the big picture.. Thats all.

Trev

AlexW
02-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Hello Guys,

I will not develop a interface between vasFMC an PM, that would not be possible. But, when vasFMC will be ready (which will indeed take its time), it will provide you with a fully fledged FMC.

regards, Alex

Bob Reed
02-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Eric, if you do not plan on buying the PM FMC. better start looking for a different avionics package to use. PM will never allow anyone access to there code... Nore would I if I was them! Maybe go back to FS's gauges and use a gauge design software to make your own and then use vasFMC or one like it... Not many options here.