PDA

View Full Version : Rudder (1st Question !!)

Taupax
02-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi guys,

May i first thank all the members who have welcomed me to this website and those who have started to point me in the right direction your help and support will ALWAYS be appreciated ! :D

So to my first question................

I have recently purchased a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System With Rudder Pedals and my question is this... when i wish to turn left i push the left pedal forward (and right down) however this seems alien to me why?... well when i turn left in my car i turn the steering wheel down left and up right (if you get my drift) so my question is am i supposed to reverse my current settings to mimic a steering wheel or do i have to get used to this alien style of turning ?

To make it easier for you............

TO TURN LEFT = LEFT PEDAL UP RIGHT PEDAL DOWN or
TO TURN LEFT = LEFT PEDAL DOWN RIGHT PEDAL UP

Your call guys..........

Mark

Bob Reed
02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Well in a airplane when you push the left rudder pedal the nose goes to the left on the ground or in the air. So the rocking of your pedals is trying to emulate that action. Hope this helps...

BlackWidow
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
TO TURN LEFT = LEFT PEDAL UP RIGHT PEDAL DOWN this is the correct way to turn left

Michael Carter
02-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Where did you guys learn to fly? :roll:

Right turn, right pedal. Left turn, Left pedal.

Keep the ball centered.

I can't even believe I'm answering this.

Joe Cygan
02-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Where did you guys learn to fly? :roll:

Right turn, right pedal. Left turn, Left pedal.

Keep the ball centered.

I can't even believe I'm answering this.

.....Bingo!

Michael Carter
02-05-2008, 01:12 AM
I guess it gets confusing when the FMC is doing most of the flying instead of the pilot in command.:roll:

Joe Cygan
02-05-2008, 01:14 AM
And to take this a step further slight elevator nose up pressure to compensate for horizontal lift deflection as you enter either turn.

Michael Carter
02-05-2008, 01:17 AM
...Or roll out.

The recommended procedure in the 727 is that you do not use electric trim in the turns, but a little experience in hand flying instead.

dodiano
02-05-2008, 02:03 AM
...Or roll out.

The recommended procedure in the 727 is that you do not use electric trim in the turns, but a little experience in hand flying instead.

The Bus has AUTOTRIM :)

Regards,

Roberto

Michael Carter
02-05-2008, 02:22 AM
You guys with the electric jets have all the perks! ;)

AndyT
02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Thats scary.
How many of you have real hours in a real plane?

mpl330
02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Mark,
Remember you are not 'pushing' the aircraft in the direction you want i.e. you do not push the right foot to push the right hand side in front of the left so that it goes left...

Taupax
02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Now im lost 2 completely different answers !

Left pedal further towards front of the plane than right pedal i go right and vice versa ? like a steering wheel :)

mpl330
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
No not like a steering wheel.
Left pedal for left, right pedal for right...

Joe Cygan
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
No not like a steering wheel.
Left pedal for left, right pedal for right...

http://i28.tinypic.com/awaj41.gif
The rudder is located on the back edge of the stabilizer, or fin, and is controlled by 2 pedals at the pilot's feet.
When the pilot pushes the left pedal, the rudder moves to the left and this in turn causes the airplane to yaw to the left, because the air running over the stabilizer and rudder is now pushing harder on the left side of the rudder than on the right.

AndyT
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Again very simply,

To turn left, push the left pedal.
To turn right, push the right pedal.

Anything more than that can be confusing.

mpl330
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Again very simply,

To turn left, push the left pedal.
To turn right, push the right pedal.

Anything more than that can be confusing.

Think this is what we are all saying isn't it???:?

Mind you, its so long since I was able to do a flight I may have forgetten - one day soon my sim will be flyable again!!!

Taupax
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Um ok thanks guys sorry for being a pain.

Westozy
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
TO TURN LEFT = LEFT PEDAL UP RIGHT PEDAL DOWN this is the correct way to turn left

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr wrong sorry!

Plus, left toe brake assists left turn vice versa. Some aircraft eg Eagle 150, left brake won't engage until the rudder pedal is fully left.

Gwyn

AndyT
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Taupax,
No problem. It happens to all of us when we first start flying. Just get it right now before you are in a real plane....:D