PDA

View Full Version : UK Builders

mpl330
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Anyone know of any UK sim shows this year - I think the IFC shows may not be happening so is there any alternative?

Perhaps we need a UK "meet up" for a couple of cheeky vimtos??

Cheers
Mike

steveeverson
01-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Definatley up for that one-! especially the cheeky vimtos- (i think our overseas friends may need an explanation¬)
Maybe we could have a regular open house where we descend on someones sim for the day or weekend......

Steve

mpl330
01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
For clarification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeky_Vimto

BUT - the phrase can also be used to signify any alcoholic beverage as I wouldnt give you a thank you for a Blue WKD - if you are going to drink booze it should taste of booze, not pop!

steveeverson
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
should have to also come in a pint glass (although that could also include gin,vodka etc..):p

mpl330
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Like your style Steve!
I would also include the grape derivative drinks our 'new world' cousins produce - can also be enjoyed in a large glass!

Is it Thirsty Thursday!?:D

Why is your post count stuck on 42???

steveeverson
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
now you mention it, yours is stuck on 127...

mpl330
01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
its now changed - guess it must be thirsty thursday!

steveeverson
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
i have used my detective skills and worked out that it updates all your posts when you do a new one...so this should make 44 (unless you are viewing this at a later date..)
now if only i could figure out how to get annunciator data out of PMDG.........:roll:

RojanTrojan
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I think RC simulations are still holding their UK sim convention in Birmingham this year. I think it is usually in November/December. Really good show. lots of people there. They have quite a number of cockpit builders and companies showing off kit.

Cheers

Rhydian

David Rogers
02-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Like the sound of potential UK based fun, frolics and cheeky sherbits. (never head the Vimto slang 'til now!).

:)

Taupax
02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I think after looking at Davids pit photos we should all pile over there for the weekend and have a go on it with Mike providing the 'Cheeky Vimtos'

mpl330
02-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Think judging on Steve's replies that would be expensive (not to mention lead to very sore heads) - pints of Vodka :shock:

Are the IFC shows definately off now? Think there were some "arguments" going on with them - although I could be wrong...

Daveanne
02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi folks, Daveanne here, I'me in UK too, though I might join in your merry banter?

How about a Wobbly Coffee? that's an instant coffee whitened with Baileys original, boy that warms the cockles up.

So I gather there isnt going to be a show on in UK this year, what were you all thinking of as towards meeting up at soemones place for Sim in?

I live in Cheshire, and I know of another chap down the road from me who in the process of building a 737 cockpit like myself, plus of course Ian Sissons isn't far away from where I live either.

What locations are you chaps/chapesses?

daveanne

steveeverson
02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
nice to have you in our merry band of sim-nuts!
yeah i guess a meeting in the north would be better as i seem to be the only one standing up for the southern softies! (well south midlands anyway). Anyone got suggestions for a date/place?
Im quite happy to drive up, maybe could do a couple of sims over a weekend.
of course,everyone is welcome to mk if they are in the area.(although i might have to stock up on the alcoholic beverages.......)
steve :-)

mpl330
02-09-2008, 12:22 PM
From my point of view I'd like to see a pit that actually works as I'm not in that lucky position yet:(
Think we're fairly spread out at the moment - from David up in Durham and Mark down in Essex - fair spread across the North from East to West coast. Perhaps seeing a couple would be a good idea (then the other halves wouldnt have to put up with us for too long in one go!)
We would have to work out the logistics too for getting around and having a couple of liveners ;) - is it like a sim crawl!? - think my desire for a beer is overtaking here (I have been doing DIY all day :cry:)

Mike

Daveanne
02-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Mine has been working for a while now, not boasting but I am in the process of doing a round the world flight, my first one was Thursday night, from Mancheter to Frankfurt, on Monday night I will be going from Frankfurt to Budapest, then on to Athens one day the week after.

My journey will take me from: EGCC - EDDF - LHBP - LGAV - OLBA - OKBA - OPKC - VIDP - VGZR - VTBD - VHHH - ZSSS - RJAA - VHPP - PANC - KSEA - KDEN - KORD - KJFK - CYYT - BGGH - BIKF and back to EGCC.

A total of 19,920 miles and 48 hours fliying, so it will be many weeks before I get back to dear old blighty (theoretically).

The biggest problem I am having at present is getting authentic airport scenery for all the places I am going to visit, I have as far as Budapest at present, tried to download Athens today from Avsim, but there appears to be some thing wrong with thier web site.

Anybody help with scenery for the above airports?

By the way I am using FS2004 PMDG 737 800.

Daveanne

mpl330
02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Dave - Avsim had some problems on their server this w/e so you should be ok now...

Sounds like the west coast is the place to start, anyone know Mr Sissons? Ian's pit is very inspirational to many of us so perhaps we could pay him a visit (obviously if he & Mrs Ian don't mind) and then check out Daves (if he and Mrs Dave (Anne?) don't mind)

Any thoughts???
Wouldnt want to descend on people if they are not keen.

Taupax
02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I for one would really like to visit someones pit thats been completed to give me ideas, inspiration and encouragement that i CAN do it, the added bonus of meeting my fellow builders and enjoying a few sherberts down the local and then a nice overnight stay in a travel lodge ....perfect !

Daveanne
02-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Well folks, next leg covered; Monday evening 11/02/08

Frankfurt (Main),EDDF to Budapest LHBP.

Flying time 1:08 at 37000 ft .078 M.

Take off and landing in slight fog/mist left Frankfurt on 07L and journey via: HAB, SULUS, RDG, FRE, SNU, GYR.

Rather steep decent into LHBP (using Radar Contact for ATC), but managed to get onto the ILS without too much bother, misty approach with about 3 miles vis landing on 13R.

My co-pilot, Mark (he's the chap who's also building a 737 cockpit, near to me) was working the radio and called too early before we had departed the active, so we got a bollocking from the tower, hey ho, such is life.

So we have ended up at Terminal 2B stand 38.

Next week its Budapest LHBP to Athens LGAV, warmer parts for a change.

Just to let you know I am using XP on a Pentium 4, 3.6 GHz with 4GB memory.

I have adopted the same appraoch as Ian Sissons and not used PM, just trying, some times in vain, to get the vast majority of things to work without it.

Progamming wise, using PMDG 737 800 in Thompson colours, FSBuild for flight planning and RC4 for ATC, also Active Sky for weather generation.

CPflight for MCP, EFIS Transponder, Radios and Nav.

FS Expand/Client 5.4 for Engine/flap/standby Instruments and Wideview for my two side window views (both 42" plasma's), the front view is projected using a Viewsonic PJ358 [1024 x 768]

As towards comming to visit, no problem, just drop me a line on here and we can make some arrangements.

Happy flying

Daveanne

steveeverson
02-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Excellent- glad someones flying- im not tonight because of below:

Spoke with Mike and he has been in touch with Ian sissons who is happy for us to Visit. Be great if we can come to yours too. Think we are going to find some accomodation for the weekend near both.

Anyway, happy flying

Steve

Matt Olieman
02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Steve, you may of mentioned this before, but anyway, who's CDU is that, or did you build that from scratch. Lot's of wires attached....

steveeverson
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Matt- it's an opencockpits one(just comes as a kit with the panel and buttons,you have to assemble it...)- i'm using it with a simboard and have a cheap LCD to strip and fit in it... All part of the fun getting stuff to work with PMDG.! i've posted some pics in the gallery

-ps your'e more than welcome to join our uk builders meet if your'e in the area! (we count you as an honorary member!)

Cheers
Steve:)

Taupax
02-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Ok lets arrange a meet in the not to distant future i dont mind traveling to anywhere in the UK as long as i can fly ya pit, there is an 'offy' near by and accommodation is available in the area within walking (staggering) distance or by cab.
Can make any weekend just need a bit of notice to arrange staff rota to cover boss flying and drinking into the early hours (hic).

Mark

Matt Olieman
02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Matt- it's an opencockpits one(just comes as a kit with the panel and buttons,you have to assemble it...)- i'm using it with a simboard and have a cheap LCD to strip and fit in it... All part of the fun getting stuff to work with PMDG.! i've posted some pics in the gallery

-ps your'e more than welcome to join our uk builders meet if your'e in the area! (we count you as an honorary member!)

Cheers

The CDU looks fantastic. I took notice of yours because I have to replace my LCD and just got it in the mail. Fortunately mine does not need all the wiring :)

Regarding "honorary member," I'd love to be there and it would be an honor to an honorary member. Thank you :) :) :)

David Rogers
02-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi Folks,

Great to see that a 1st UK meet looks close to fruition - I'm going to have to sit this first one out unfortunately. Sarah and I have baby due at the end of May, so March is a little too close for me to be off and about. :)

But I am 100% 'up' for the next meet we have after that!

(I may even have made more cockpit progress by then, as real life is getting in the way at the moment!).

Look forward to hearing how this meet goes - have fun, whether it's Vimtos, Sherbits, or even Newcastle Brown Ale !

:-)

mpl330
02-17-2008, 07:44 AM
David,

Glad to hear you havent left us and hope all goes well with the baby.

Mark (Taupax) & Dave (Daveanne) - you have mail!
Cheers
Mike

Taupax
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Ive replied while i may be able to go in march maybe it would be better to go say in may or june when we can all go and its a bit warmer?
By not rushing in to this we could make a decent weekend out of it ?

Daveanne
02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
3rd leg covered last night, Budapest LHBP to Athens LGAV

728 miles @ .766M at 37,000 ft

Flight time 1:12,

Take off from Budapest 13R snow on the ground but fairly benign weather all the way to Athens with nice scenery in the sun on finals approaching to 21L.

Nice steady flight but touch down a bit hairy, to say the least, learner in the left hand seat so we didn't quite make the runway, no that's not true, to be fair we did make the runway but didn't stay on it long......!!

Hey Ho, its all a learning cycle?

Now parked at stand A03 waiting for the next leg, which should be next Wednesday; gong on to Beirut OLBA.

Dave & Anne

Taupax
02-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Sorry i cant make the 8th guys with a bit of notice say a month i can book any day off i want :)

Daveanne
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Another leg completed last night (27/02/08).

Athens (LGAV) to Beirut (OLBA)

Push back at Athens about 3:15 pm (Sim time) from stand A03 taxied out to 21L for take off, we were 2nd in line after a 747.

Our flight plan was: RIPLI, AKINA, KOPAR, ASIMI, RDS, EVENO, DASNI, LCA, BALMA, CAK the OLBA (717 miles).

Take off uneventful and climbed to 7,000 ft turned left and told to go direct to RIPLI, then given clearance to 15,000, 34,000 and finally 37000 ft and a speed of 0.766M @TOC.

Followed pre planned route to just after Cyprus when ATC started lowering us down, 24,000, 16,000, 11,000, 9,000 to 7,000 ft.

Vectored us to the approach path to OLBA and allowed us to descend from 7,000 ft all the way down the approach.

Nice picturesque route which took us over the Greek Islands, South West Turkey, Rhodes, Cyprus (just getting dusk), with a night landing at Beirut.

John in left hand seat all the way and handled it nicely, except for a slight ballooning just before touchdown at Beirut, however we stayed on the runway centre line too.

Taxied to stand 9 and shut down.

Flight time BO-BO 2 hrs 6 min.

Next leg (Wed 5th), Beirut (OLBA), to Kuwait (OKBK).

Dave & Anne

magicaldr
03-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Did we ever finalise a date for a meet? I would love to come along, north or south is no major issue as I get sent up north occasionally for work, so I know the way :)

However if we could be near a rail station it would save me driving. Unless there are any other southerners who would like a lift? I have the ol 7 seater car so can offer a lift in exchange for splitting fuel costs?

As we have this new toy of groups in the forum, anyone up for starting and joining a UK builders one? May make it easier to organise this, or other meet ups / socials?

EDIT: Just created one to see what it did, its public so anyone can join it.

Trevor Hale
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
EDIT: Just created one to see what it did, its public so anyone can join it.

Great.. Now if anyone can figure out how to join it we will all be golden ROFL..

These new forum toys are going to take ages to figure out :)

Matt Olieman
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
That's fantastic. I was just reading the about final 3.7 version, and what the end results will be. One of the features will allow the personalized private/public groups to look and feel like a forum of it's own. You'll be able to create headers, subforums, etc.

I think the photo albums out User CP is pretty good.

Now if I can just get the "Blog" to work properly, Aaaarrrggg :(

Matt O.

Trevor Hale
03-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I think the photo albums out User CP is pretty good.

Yes, to views one's project from their profile. It's very good, But I like the gallery we have now, more of a generic gallery.

Well, guess we will see how it all works out.

magicaldr
03-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Got a couple of UK peeps in on the group now, so obviously the join thingy works :)

Must admit I like both our galleries, be nice if it were easier to find people's picks, so the personal one is great. Equally nice to browse types for ideas...

Win both ways in my book :)

Any UK peeps BTW thinking of making AeroExpo this year? I went last year, and while its not flight sim based, there were some sim companies there. If you a GA nut like me its worth a visit, be great to see some friendly faces if you also going to be in the area?

Daveanne
03-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, you missed it.

We all met today and visited Ian Sisson Sim in St Martin's, then onto my place to have a look at mine.

Met up with some good firends and all enjoyed ourselves too.

Will try to include you in the next one, that wlll probably be to Coventry in about 1months time, sorry not to have met you today.

Daveanne

mpl330
03-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Great 1st get together - had to be limited on numbers visiting in one go but was great to meet some 'real' people and see some impressive sims!
We visited Ian Sissons (http://www.737ng.co.uk/) and then to Dave's (Daveanne) http://g-holt.co.uk/ both were great but made me realise how much work I've still to do :(.

Most notable thing for me was the difference having a projector makes to making it 'feel real' - you need to check out Dave's visual setup - projector for forward view and 2 x 42" plasmas for sides - brilliant!

Anyone fancy a trip round concorde at Manchester over the summer - if there is enough we could arrange a group tour???
Cheers
Mike

steveeverson
03-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Hi Guys,
Had an absolutley fantastic time yesterday and thanks so much to Dave and Ian for their hospitality and Mike- thanks for organising it all. It's not often you get to see 2 excellent sims in one day and it was a real inspiration- and a big reminder that this hobby is definitley a long term project for me! - Really good to make some new friends too- i guess sim building is as much about that as anything else!
Looks like there will be a meet at johns 747 sim in the next month or so - will keep everyone posted.
Huge thanks again!

ian@737ng.co.uk
03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
gentlemen, absolutely marvelous to meet you all and very happy you had a good time. hopefully we all learned a lot by sharing experince, i know i certainly did. i managed to pick up a couple of ideas just from conversation. and you were all so well behaved, didn't break anything and nobody stole my beer :o)
for those of you who didn't manage to make it, please feel free to get in touch, we are always open........
thanks again lads, for a very enjoyable day. you will all be in rouges gallery later today.
regards .... ian

Trevor Hale
03-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey Guys,

Glad you all had an opportunity to meet each other. Hopefully we can arrange some more of this type of meet in the future.

Best regards,

Trev

Daveanne
03-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Look forward to meeting you all again, maybe have a go at looping the 747 too, Ian's is still in one piece after a full loop and a barrel roll also !!!!

Its Ok Ian we didn't spill any beer at all..........

The trip around Concorde sounds good, place up some dates and we can start arranging things?

Thanks for the very nice day and see you all again soon, did you gets the pics?

Dave & Anne

John Davis
03-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys, just wanted to introduce myself to those who don't know me.

i'm the owner of a 747 Simulator www.747simulator.co.uk which you may have seen in the press.

I also attended the meet yesterday with Steve, Ian, Mike and Dave
had a wonderful day thanks guys, the 2 sims visited were both different but incredible in their complexity and grat fun to fly :cool:

Steve and myself are already discussing holding a similar event at my own simulator, we will post details as soon as we have decided when.

Look forward to talking to you all on this forum, about time i joined ... i have only been working on the sim since 1999 :roll:

Best wishes John

John Davis
03-09-2008, 12:36 PM
LOL just read the thread , Dave and Steve look like they have decide the meet is in a months time :D

Better scrub up the sim then !

Taupax
03-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Ive seen your 747 in the press and i would consider it to be an honour to visit, i to am attempting to build a 747 cockpit yet i find as if im banging my head against a brick wall with the amount of compatible parts i can buy.
I know i missed the 1st meet (work problems unfortunately) but a 747 sim ??? sorry guys but im at the front of the queue for this one! hehehe ;)

John Davis
03-09-2008, 08:35 PM
awwwww sorry the meet is just for my new 737 friends :D
..... Joking .... look forward to meeting you whenever we get it organised

Cheers John

phil744
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
but a 747 sim ??? sorry guys but im at the front of the queue for this one! hehehe ;)

You will have to beat me first hahahahah!!!!:evil:

Seriously I would love to see it, give me ideas and hope, once i get back on my feet and ACTUALLY start building a sim(s) maybe you all should come up to mine, best thing about being in a works unit, you can be as loud as you like because there is no one for miles around;)

steveeverson
03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
nice to have you on board Mycockpit!-

i think the idea we had about cross- sim type ratings might take off you know!

i see you are on level 1- but i can see the force is strong in this one and you'll soon be on level 16 like me- and maybe level 99 or whatever trevor hale (jedi master ) is on....

later
Steve;)

John Davis
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
just noticed this level thing ... what happens with that, do you get access to better info the higher you get ? :roll:

and what are you doing up at this time everson ? Finishing our WF DVD I hope ;)

Im sure we can fit you in too Phil as long as I can "borrow" your parts till you need them LOL

phil744
03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
hahahaha, probably not a good idea coming to mine, my collection of real parts may dissapear

John Davis
03-09-2008, 09:13 PM
He he, you bet .... like they never existed ;)

phil744
03-09-2008, 09:20 PM
He he, you bet .... like they never existed ;)

:shock: Im not going home tonight...........

Going totally off topic, can you help me with this please, im loosing sleap over it

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?p=48180

Welcome by the way:p

mpl330
03-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Now now guys - we're not Boeingist here - it doesnt matter if you have 2 or 4 engines - no falling out...
Although, Phil be careful, John did keep mentioning about loading up the boot of the car with Ian's parts when he wasnt looking ;)
Cheers
Mike

John Davis
03-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Loosing "Sleap" over it ???? did you mean Sleep ? ;)
I don't anyone would miss that village anyway :shock:

I have some diagrams somewhere for that but it was still a little bit of guesswork, I will try and find them for you.

Mike ..... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh by the way i think I left Ians TQ in the boot of your car , could you post it down to me so i can sell it to Steve :D

John Davis
03-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Hey Mike have you figured out the master plan yet ?

I sell the TQ to steve and use the money to buy Ian's seats once they are out of the way you can get in and nick that yoke you liked ;)

Ian then gets the enjoyment of building and sourcing the items again ...
everyones a winner !

mpl330
03-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey Mike have you figured out the master plan yet ?

I sell the TQ to steve and use the money to buy Ian's seats once they are out of the way you can get in and nick that yoke you liked ;)

Ian then gets the enjoyment of building and sourcing the items again ...
everyones a winner !

Genius!
Still not convinced you should have the seats though - they're the wrong colour - they'd be more at home in a nice new 73 sim..........

steveeverson
03-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Phil- well as we're going to John's next i'll distract him by asking some silly question about sids or something and you can discretley remove his throttle quad- having said that, it might be easier to grab the whole pedestal - then you get a bonus CDU....
everyones a winner (except John- obviously...);)

John Davis
03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Mike , I have found a new substance not all cockpit builders are familiar with, its called Brown Paint, unfortunately its not that widely available in the North ;) also you are missing the fundamental point, as I have paying customers I dont want them getting too comfy or they never go home !:D

Everson i'm only gonna tell you one more time, stop messing about and finish the worldflight DVD you have only had the job since November ! :D:D:D

phil744
03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Phil- well as we're going to John's next i'll distract him by asking some silly question about sids or something and you can discretley remove his throttle quad- having said that, it might be easier to grab the whole pedestal - then you get a bonus CDU....
everyones a winner (except John- obviously...);)

hehe I like your thinking;)

steveeverson
03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
i would like to point out- for obvious legal reasons that the members of UKbuilders do not condone stealing of your friends sim parts in any way.

.not unless its a really good throttle quadrant ...and maybe an overhead panel--mmm wonder if that will fit down my jumper...

terms and conditions apply

steve;)

ps. JD i'm working on it!

magicaldr
03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
i would like to point out- for obvious legal reasons that the members of UKbuilders do not condone stealing of your friends sim parts in any way.

.not unless its a really good throttle quadrant ...and maybe an overhead panel--mmm wonder if that will fit down my jumper...

terms and conditions apply

steve;)

ps. JD i'm working on it!

Would this be houselifting ;)

Daveanne
04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Folks, back of Hols from Feurteventura...... shame!

Next step of the RTW tour is Kuwait (OKBK) to Karachi (OPKC), Thursday evening.

Will report back as usual for you all.

Daveanne

ian@737ng.co.uk
04-02-2008, 01:28 AM
i've been reading these posts and frankly i'm worried. i have to keep getting up in the middle of the night to see all my cockpit is still there :o)
did anybody decide anything about going to concorde?
dave....are doing the flight 'online'? if so, what's your callsign, i'll kep an eye open for you.
regards to all ..... ian

Daveanne
04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Ian,
Not tried the "online" side of the system yet, if you remember we talked about it whilst we were at your place, but never got around to explaining it to me.

Just flying in the attic around the world.

Question, if I may, just bought an FMC kit from OpenCockpits and trying to interface it with FS 2004, any tips? especially about recreating the screen onto a small 5" monitor, everyone say's that it can only be done using PM?

Best wishes

Dave & Anne Holt

steveeverson
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry it took me a while to get back!

the usb-vga adaptor is available from CPC www.cpc.co.uk
order code is CS2179505and its £39.50 +vat

For the FMC undock it at put it on a spare monitor and use key2mouse for the LSK keys, PMDG for the INITREF,FIX etc and Key2Mouse for the KBD select then when thats pressed all the alphabetical keys work as per a normal keyboard (you just a to remember to press the extra switch I put in when you want to type something but you soon get very used to it!)

then for the screen i came up with a rather unusual way of doing it- basically as you need to see the whole CDU for K2m etc I used a cheap CCTV camera connected to the LCD in the cdu and focused in on just the screen bit, takes a bit of tinkering with and im sure someone will come up with a better solution but works for me!

Cheers
Steve:cool:

ps.what time are we meeting behind Ians garage with our balaclavas on?... are you bringing the 'swag' bag?:twisted:

mpl330
04-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry Steve you are probably too late - where do you think Dave has been this last 2 weeks - secreting his ill gotten simulator gains - he says he's been to Feurteventura............

steveeverson
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I suppose we should tell Ian that he is is having one of those failure / emergency things
EG:
Flying without an engine,
Flying without instruments
Flying without a throttle
Flying without a seat
Flying without radios,overhead panel,outside view or a yoke......

:mrgreen:

mpl330
04-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Anyone fancy a Concorde visit? I have a screwdriver!

Daveanne
04-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I positively refute that remark, I didn't nick anything form Fuerteventrua at all, mind you there were 3 x 737 800's on the tarmac at Liverpool when I came back, unattended too......

The latest episode in the RTW trip:
Started at Stand 3 Kuwait (OKBK) 12:00 (Sim local)
P1 John Farley (fellow Glider/Motor Glider pilot), P2 me, Technical advisor and amateur Trolley Dolly (he must learn the difference between a fridge and a freezer), Ian Skinner (1<SUP>st</SUP> Officer Thompson Airways).
Weather: 350/07kts QNH 1012 NOSIG
FMC programme took 20 minutes; ALVIX 3C SID then to DESLU, SYZ, SRJ, 2760E, PUNEL and Direct to OPKC (Karachi) a distance of 1084 N Miles.
Push back 12:28 and taxi to 33L (line up and wait), cleared “runway heading climb to 5,000”. Slight problem with centre line following down the runway but managed to take off (good job its 11,155 ft long).
Climbed on runway heading, gear up MCP on up to 220kts and reduce Flaps, vectored onto 080 and given clearance up to 15,000ft then 085 then own navigation. Further clearances to: 20,000, 23,000, 34,000, and finally 37,000ft.
On route and at cruise of 37K @ .78M with a tailwind of 116kts at one stage, handed over to Tehran ATC, good visibility and scenery crossing over the GULF along the southern Iranian shoreline to the Pakistani border, handed over to Karachi ATC.
Decent: 35,000, 24,000, 13,000, 12,000, 6,000, 3,000ft and vectored for a right hand circuit to 25R at OPKC. Further decent to 2,500ft for ILS capture and approach, visibility very poor low down and managed to pickup the VASI at 5 miles out, ILS approach with 3 greens, 40 degrees of flap and 145 knts.
Disengaged MCP at 300ft for a manual touchdown by John, slight ‘ballooning’ on landing, but well controlled, reverse thrust and slight braking, turning off at the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> intersection (Bravo), talked to ground and given clearance to the ramp (our choice).
The plan was to taxi to the Eastern Apron and park up at stand 17 on the Jinnah Terminal, that was the plan….
John didn’t quite understand my directions and we managed to stuff the left hand wing tip into the passenger gangway at stand 17…….. Hey Ho!!
So I have to pay for the Airframes crew to fly out to Pakistan to fix it before we can carry on next week, had a quick look at it, some one said that if I turn off the PC and re-start it would look like it had never happened at all……. Marvellous!
Flight time 3 hrs BO to BO (well didn’t need the brakes after we crashed into the concourse, it was rather jammed in).
Tune in next week for the further adventures of: “2 Amateurs and a Trolley Dolly”, a story of compassion and unadulterated fear!!!!(plus a couple of beers to keep us all calm………… and sane!).
Next week: Karachi (OPKC) to Delhi (VIDP)
Daveanne
I'me game for the Concorde trip?

John Davis
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
hi guys, i have been flying round the world constantly since the sim was built, whenever I have a chance i do a leg following the world flight route, at the monment im following the route from 2006.

Here is a report of the last flight which was Dijboute to Entebbe.

"Woke up to a glorious hot sunny day in Africa, turned up at the airfield to find the 747 on bricks ... got N'gubu the mechanic to fix it and was ready for take off at 1 pm local time, first officer didn't show up again so decided to head off on my own, FMC programing took 50 minutes and a hammer to complete, a Zulu 1 departure was confirmed in the box with a block height of "Dont hit kilamanjaro" set in the right hand side. Took off, flew in clouds during the ascent (cool) followed the A-Z for most of the route and turned right at tanzania towards Kampala, arrived over Lake "Idi" formaly Victoria approx 2hrs into the flight and performed a Hippo one STAR for an NDB AM / FM approach into Entebbe, by this time the weather had deteriorated to minimums 100 miles in clear visibility and hot sun so things were really tricky.
Landed successfully and applied maximum autobrake and full reverse to avoid the wildebeste. taxied in nice and slow to enable some of the poor locals time to sprint over the perimeter fence open the cargo door and steal the suitcases, eventually arrived on stand after passing serveral suspicious looking hercules aircraft painted Silver and loaded with wooden crates, surrounded by strange looking men in sunglasses and baseball caps chewing gum. After landing we noticed part of the flap system was missing after being hit by a sam missile over the congo. ... oh how we laughed !

Will report on the next leg for you ASAP

best wishes John

Daveanne
04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
G-HOLT Karachi (OPKC) to Dehli (VIDP) 09/04/08

Yet another tail of the unfortunate and the poor pilots of Cheshire, (just me and John, fellow Glider Pilot), minus "Trolley Dolly", this time, had to get me own tea and P2's too, left him in charge whilst I swanked, yes swanked with the pax in the back........!!!! Well I went down to the kitchen to make a brew.

Tried to start off at stand 17 Karachi (OPKC), however when I tried to position it there Flight Sim decided to crash it into the building....?, so we decided on stand 76 instead.

Local (sim time) 16:00 hrs and started the FMC programming.

Weather: 270/09 kts 7000 vis scattered cloud, temp 26 QNH 1011 NOSIG Runway 25L in use.

Route: BADIL2C (SID), RK, TIGER, LUN, PEKIX, AVGON, DIR to DELHI (VIDP).

Clearance: Fly RWY heading climb to 6000ft SQ 3261.

Push back: 16:18, Start-up and taxi: 16:22, cleared to line-up RWY 25L and wait.

Cleared Takeoff: 16:29 (sim local).

Uneventful roll and takeoff, climbed runway heading (254 degrees) , gear up reduce flaps, 210kts, then 250kts climb on V NAV.

Vectored to turn right on 035 and climb to 12,000ft, then 15,000 then given direct to RK and own navigation LNAV & VNAV

Further climb's to: 23,000, 34,000 and finally 35,000 @ 0.765M Winds @ 326/31kts.

Purposely calculated the time of take off so that we should get some nice views of the journey especially the decent and landing in dusk and then early evening at Delhi.

Stayed with Karachi ATC until TIGER, then handed over to Delhi control for the rest.

Descents: still on L & V Nav down to: 27,000, 24,000 (upper cloud layer 1/8th Cu), 13,000, 12,000, (advised vectors to 28 at Delhi), given 105 degrees and down to 7000ft, back into cloud, 090 degrees and down to 4000ft (right hand circuit onto 28 ILS (110.3 PLM 284 degrees) eased back onto 090 degrees to move away from airfield then 195, then 255 degrees until ILS capture not below 3,000ft.

Intercepted the centre line and held on VOR lock, reduced speed to 170kts with 10 degrees flap (as per Ian's instructions), captured the glide slope and reduced down to 40 degrees flap 145kts for final, gear down and three Green's at about 4 miles out (could now see the HIALS & PAPI).

Dialled into the MCP 3,600ft in case of Go-around (already programmed into FMC too).

Slight bounce on touchdown, see I can do it as well..........B****llocks!

Turned off at 'M' and reported into ground who cleared us to the ramp (our choice), found that we had missed the turn off we wanted and had to do a "U" at the cargo area to get back to the International Terminal stand 46, where we reside at the present, shut down and disembark.

18:26 local time BO to BO: 2:08 hrs 628 miles.

Didn't crash into the concourse this time....Phew...!!!!

See you all next Wednesday Delhi (VIDP) to Dhaka (VGZR)?

Dave & Anne.