PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas for Magneto & Fuel switches please.

kwaka
01-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi.
I've been building my generic cockpit over the past 5 days and it's coming along ok so far. I'm running Hangstrom USB108 and have just bought FSUIPC (yet to look at it in detail). I can wire up the toggle and push button switches ok.

I'd like to install 2 x magneto switches and 2 fuel selectors. Anybody got any pics or ideas on how this can be done?

One a seperate issue, I can't seem to locate the commands for things like NAV LIGHTS or Right Alternator to assign them in the Hangstrom interface. I've wired up the switches just like in a light twin prop and would like to assign all switches so that I can flick off either alternator as required.

Cheers,
Nick

Bob Reed
01-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Well since you own FSUIPC I would look in those docs.. All kinds of offsets which is what you are looking for. No I don't know the exact ones but I know they are there. Welcome to the world of FS interfacing....:mrgreen:

Radar
01-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi.
I've been building my generic cockpit over the past 5 days and it's coming along ok so far. I'm running Hangstrom USB108 and have just bought FSUIPC (yet to look at it in detail). I can wire up the toggle and push button switches ok.

I'd like to install 2 x magneto switches and 2 fuel selectors. Anybody got any pics or ideas on how this can be done?

One a seperate issue, I can't seem to locate the commands for things like NAV LIGHTS or Right Alternator to assign them in the Hangstrom interface. I've wired up the switches just like in a light twin prop and would like to assign all switches so that I can flick off either alternator as required.

Cheers,
Nick

:-DCheck this out http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Panel/Model_1010/index.htm

And the price isn't bad at all.

Trevor Hale
01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi.

Cheers,
Nick

in FSUIPC you can go to your button/switches tab, select the switch on your hagstrum and then assign it a function to the right for the on state and the off state.

That should get you started.

Best regards,

Trev

David Rogers
01-30-2008, 01:59 PM
in FSUIPC you can go to your button/switches tab, select the switch on your hagstrum and then assign it a function to the right for the on state and the off state.

That should get you started.

Best regards,

Trev

I'm not sure about the Hagstrom USB108, but on mine (KE72), the Hagstron generates key presses, as opposed to button presses, so the assignments need to be made in the FSUIPC 'Key Presses' page, rather than the 'Buttons' page.

Of course, if the USB108 emulates unique (non-keyboard) strokes, it'll be the 'Buttons' page as Trev said.

:)

I'm not able to check, but I'm 90% sure that Magento controls are in the drop down list of FSUIPC commands that can be assigned.

:)

kwaka
01-31-2008, 07:21 AM
I spent the afternoon looking at FSUIPC. Wow.... exactly what I needed. I managed to wire up my first 14 switches and all works just fine.

That module at Desktop Aviator looks good however I've already built a nice lighting panel and already done the graphics for the mags, so I'll try to eire up my first rotary.

I'll buy a couple rotary switches and try figure out how to wire them up for the mags.

It's a nice way to learn a little about electronics :)

XOrionFE
02-01-2008, 09:02 AM
The rotary is simple for what you want to do. I used a 6 position rotary for my mag switch. You just wire the center ground like any other switch to you Hagstrom 108 and then wire each position as a seperate switch. I did it for a C172 so I left the first postion unwired. Second position is Off. Third is Right Mag, Fourth is Left Mag, Fifth is Both, and 6th is Start. Each position is wired to a seperate post on the Hagstrom breakout board and then in FSUIPC I assigned the keystrokes and then mapped them to the correct positions in Hagstrom. Works like a charm. You also may want to grab the Keystroke mapping file I made that is in the download section. It will help you locate unused keys that can then be used in FSUIPC for your functions.

kwaka
02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I took one apart today and also found a good article at Simkits (magneto kit) which helped with the setting up.

I noticed that if you remove the 2 ball bearings which are responsible for the positive clicking at each step, you could then make a "silent" switch for large fuel selectors for example where you may want to skip a couple steps (to give a greater angle between positions) without having to click past these unused steps. I hope that makes sense. Sounds possible.
Cheers.

kwaka
02-12-2008, 08:41 AM
The rotary is simple for what you want to do. I used a 6 position rotary for my mag switch. You just wire the center ground like any other switch to you Hagstrom 108 and then wire each position as a seperate switch. I did it for a C172 so I left the first postion unwired. Second position is Off. Third is Right Mag, Fourth is Left Mag, Fifth is Both, and 6th is Start. Each position is wired to a seperate post on the Hagstrom breakout board and then in FSUIPC I assigned the keystrokes and then mapped them to the correct positions in Hagstrom. Works like a charm. You also may want to grab the Keystroke mapping file I made that is in the download section. It will help you locate unused keys that can then be used in FSUIPC for your functions.

Hi.
Just wondering why you left the first position unwired?