PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Knobs Plastic Or Metal???

SergeA340
01-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I was wondering if the real Airbus knobs are made of plastic or metal. Does anyone know?
If plastic, I was thinking of buying a set from FDS and creating molds and recreating them from the originals.
And if metal, I was thinking on using lead fishing wieghts and melting them and creating the knobs from a mold from the FDS knobs.
So does anyone know what there made of?

Sergio S.

Mike.Powell
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Most knobs are made of clear thermoplastic. The bottom is unpainted to allow for transillumination. Non-illuminated knobs are made of a colored thermoplastic. The knobs typically have a brass insert with two set screws.

Many of the Boeing-style knobs were made by Aerospace Knob Co which was acquired by Korry a few years ago. You can find more information about these knobs at http://www.korry.com/products/knobs/

I don't know which company manufactures Airbus knobs.

Radar
01-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I was wondering if the real Airbus knobs are made of plastic or metal. Does anyone know?
If plastic, I was thinking of buying a set from FDS and creating molds and recreating them from the originals.
And if metal, I was thinking on using lead fishing wieghts and melting them and creating the knobs from a mold from the FDS knobs.
So does anyone know what there made of?

Sergio S.

I wanted to do the same. I recieved an e-mail from FDS.

Mike,
> Couple of quick things...
> Shipping one knob is pricey as we cannot use "Letter Mail".
> Needs to go in a small box..
> Second issue is asking why only one piece?
> We have a problem with some folks ordering one and using that for molding
> And making more at their end.

You know,I want to support all our suppliers . But some iteams just are to high priced. Just like the supplier,we need to control owr cost also.

dodiano
01-28-2008, 09:56 PM
They are plastic! I do have some real ones in case someone is interested I will start molding them soon and real cheap!

Regards,

Roberto

bindook
01-29-2008, 03:45 AM
I have already started making my own knobs & cb's. Due to the prices they are selling them for i had no choice.

Michael

phil744
01-29-2008, 04:48 AM
They are expensive so I have also gone down the route of making my own from cast clear acrylic complete with metal inserts, drilled and tapped painted and laser etched from castings direct from the original part.

Westozy
01-29-2008, 06:25 AM
I have seen the first prototype knob made by Michael (Bindook) and it is an excellent quality replica, I think he will have many happy customers from MyCockpit soon!

Gwyn

Matt Olieman
01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
In defense to FDS and other manufactureres... Yes they ARE expensive when bought from them. I too have made my own molds from many different knobs. But, I have to tell you, it's time consuming, and, so it would be for the manufacturer. Particularly, if you want a good quality product.

Of course, the reluctance of a vendor to release one or two knobs is silly :) particularly since they had to start by buying one or two from another vendor or somewhere to start manufacturing.

I believe the choice is ours, either make your own or buy from a vendor. And, like Gwyn says, I think we'll see some "happy customers from MyCockpit soon."

SergeA340
01-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh great, FDS sells about 7 knobs in a set so ill buy those and make my own with those.

Thanks

Sergio S.

Farny
01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
http://www.ehcknobs.com/

Checkout this site,all sort of transilluminated knobs.
There is even a catalog with specs.
Great information.
Regards,

Farny
EBBR

dnoize
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.ehcknobs.com/

Checkout this site,all sort of transilluminated knobs.
There is even a catalog with specs.
Great information.
Regards,

Farny
EBBR

but they dont sell single knobs. I once informed there for the NG style pencil knobs (for radio management panel) but had to buy 500. (at 17 each, and i didnt need 8.500 dollars worth of knobs at that time ;-) )

You get the real deal there though ;-)

Dont know if they changed policy since then.

I want to second Matt here. People seem to think they only have to pay for a piece of plastic, but they forget it takes time for us to make the knobs, paint them, etc. In our case dont rule out the metal mold (we dont use silicon molds) which costs a few thousands to make.

Honoustly, 5 or 10 dollars for a handmade custom knob is really not too much.

There a guy here in the venders section in the cassifieds, who makes transilluminated knobs that i cant tell the difference from the real ones. At 15 $ i consider them a bargain if you look at the time he spends for making a single knob.

Drop him (nihad) an e-mail or take a look at his website (www.simknobs.com).

Sure making them yourself is cheaper...but dont rule out the small fortune on resin and silicone rubber that you will waste trying :-)

Stef

SergeA340
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the help, I might get some from the http://www.ehcknobs.com/ and some from FDS since they have a better range of knobs, the other guy just has Boeing knobs. Wouldnt want that in an Airbus would you :D

nihad
01-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to add that Airbus knobs are coming very soon.

Nihad

skywatch
03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
They are plastic! I do have some real ones in case someone is interested I will start molding them soon and real cheap!

Regards,

Roberto

Did you ever get going on this one Roberto?

Skywatch

dodiano
03-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Mail me at viro_online @ hotmail.com I will help you out I have the Bus knobs!!

rgcouto
01-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi all,

Sorry for pushing this really old topic, but is still anyone doing those knobs for the a320?

This is my first post, so please be nice ;)

Thanks

GodAtum
01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Have a look here :)

http://www.vier-im-pott.com/shop_for_a320_home_cockpit_simulator/a320_knobs.php

rgcouto
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Have a look here :)

http://www.vier-im-pott.com/shop_for_a320_home_cockpit_simulator/a320_knobs.php

Thanks I will take a look ;)

Sadly they don't have the FCU knobs, maybe I will ask them if they can manage to get some ;)

cnbe70
04-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Hi rgcouto,

Unfortunately I do not have FCU knobs. But you can ask Skalarki for them. Maybe he can help you.

Christian