PDA

View Full Version : Using of Real VNC to View & Control All PC's

chrisdanker
01-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi there,

Anyone of you out there using the software " Real VNC" to be able to use one PC's Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard to control all their PC's connected in their network of their flight sims?

The question I have is:

1. Having read the Documentation of the VNC software, I see that using the computers IP addresses or Host name in their Domain is the way to be able to use the Viewer PC to see and control all the other PC's. The problem is that my PC's are all networked using the "automatically detect the IP " so that rules me out of using the IP Address method of connecting the VNC software.

2. How do I use the other method? How do I create a Domain for my PC?

Appreciate help if any of you are using the same software.

The software is nice as I tried using it in my office enviroment where all the PC's at my office workplace are using dedicated IP addresses. I am able to see and control all the PC's in my office without loss of speed. Much faster than the Microsofts Built in Remote Assistance...

Thanks

Regards,
Chris

NicD
01-24-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi Chris. I use UltraVNC which is very similar. You don't need to set up a domain, or even have to worry about IPs. Just use the network name of each PC .. in windows go to My network places, then click 'view workgroup computers' on the left. Just use those PC names.

So when you want to connect to a client in VNC just type in the name of the pc you want from that list. Once you've typed it in once it should br available in the VNC interface from a dropdown list from then on.

chrisdanker
01-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks Nic......do you think it will work for Real VNC as well......? Is Ultra VNC a payware? If not, where can I get it.

Thanks

Chris

chrisdanker
01-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Nic,

It's OK, I found the UltraVNC site. Its Freeware. What Version of the Software are you using?

CHris

NicD
01-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi - I'm using v 1.0.2. As far as I know the 2 products are very similar. UltraVNC is apparently a little quicker.

One thing to be aware of ... with some video cards you can't see the contents of OpenGL apps on client computers. For example - if I log into the captains PC with UltraVNC I can't see the PFD/NAV displays, just a black window. Not sure if this is different in other VNC software.

737NUT
01-24-2008, 07:29 AM
I have been using it for years!!!! Works great and avoids having to use KV switch.

Tomlin
01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Danker-

I use Real VNC and it works great- Free is nice as well! However, my father in law help me set it up. I will ask and see if I can get a clear enough understanding to help out. Hopefully someone else can step in with a more detailed explanation before me.

Rodney
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
The problem is that my PC's are all networked using the "automatically detect the IP " so that rules me out of using the IP Address method of connecting the VNC software.Chris

To find out what IP a computer is on even though you are using the assign and IP automatically, go to Start, then Run. Type in cmd. In the dos box that opened type ipconfig /all That will show you the ip address.

You can also use Microsofts free Remote Desktop to do the same. I purchased a program called RAdmin about 7 years ago, so that is what I use. But UltraVNC, Remote Desktop are free.

Matt Olieman
01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
I use Radmin for my personal computers and VNC for my Sim. Radmin is FANTASTIC, and I love it. Except, you have to pay a fee for each computer. Like everyone else have said VNC is free.

I am curious about UltraVNC.... Anyone have a link where to get it?

Bob Reed
01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Here ya go Matt. I have not looked at it yet but here is the link.
http://www.uvnc.com/

luisgordo
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi folks,
I wanted to point out Synergy, which also allows you to control different PCs with only one mouse and keyboard, although you can't see the destination computer's screen... somewhat different philosphy.
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
BTW, it's free too. ;)

chrisdanker
01-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks everyone.

Nice to know that there are different options for the use. I have tried out the RealVNC software and that works beautifully. I will also load in Ultra VNC as Nic says it is a little faster. Will check out the issue about the Black screen though on Open GL Apps

Luis, I have used Synergy before but I found the limitation of not having the screen display not to my needs. I wanted the have the Mouse, Keyboard and Screen to be able to control ALL PC's from one PC and in my case, the Laptop that I have that I use for my PM Instructor station. In this way, I have the freedom to move around with my wireless laptop and be able to move in closer to individual PC's if needed.

Using my PM Instrustor Station on my laptop also gives me the chance to sit behind or to the side of someone else flying my sim and create faults / failures etc. So having the laptop with the VNC software also gives me the freedom be be mobile and still View, Mouse and Keyboard my PC's.

Rodney, Thanks for the info of how to get the IPs

Thanks Guys

Chris

NicD
01-25-2008, 04:00 AM
Chris - that's what we're gonna do too - have PM instructor on a wireless laptop so we can manage flights from the FO seat, the jumpseat, or the instructor station (or even outside on the sun lounge ! :))

VNC is alot of fun. I did a number of purely evil 'adjustments' to the sim during the World Flight event. I felt like god ... sitting up in my home office, clicking a button, and hearing the crew shrieking in terror down in the garage :D. Although they did quite enjoy it when I got one of the PCs to play the Top Gun theme during one of their takeoffs.

chrisdanker
01-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Nic,

Why is it I am not able to go to your website?

Chris

NicD
01-25-2008, 06:58 AM
I just checked http://www.insitesolutions.com.au/737project/ ... its there. But we moved hosts a few days ago so maybe the DNS records havent propogated to your ISP yet (can take a few days). Let me know if this continues to happen past tomorrow though.

Tomlin
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Would anyone know why I keep getting errors when trying to access my clients via RealVNC now? Is it because I have unplugged the power to my equipment, and then it's having issues reconnecting? This makes no sense to me, as the Clietnts (running PMRJ) are connecting right away with FS9. I just go in to Real VNC to access the clients and it says that there is a connection error. I went into the client#2 to check the IP and after I wrote it down, I went to try VNC once again and for some reason, it was then connected! :-\

hmmmm....suggestions?

Thanks,

mpl330
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
After reboot your pc may have been allocated another IP address (unless you have them set as static)...

Perhaps....

Cheers
Mike

Tomlin
05-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks, that's what I was suspecting but when I wrote it down and went over to RealVNC, it was the very same IP Address.

Anyhow, weird...

mpl330
05-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Have you tried connecting using the pc name instead of ip address? That way it won't matter if the ip address changes...

Tomlin
05-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Havent thought of that, or even knew it could be done! Im not the 'network' guy for my sim! My great Father In Law is! Ill ask.

mpl330
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Works for me - when I go to connect I enter the pc name e.g. FSPC or PC2 etc. where you enter the ip address and it connects straight through - then there is no need to remember ip addresses and which ip is which pc :p Good luck
Mike

NicD
05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
That's what I do - use the PC names on the network. Set once and forget, works great.

On each PC just go into control panel, system and change your pc name to something meaningful. Im using FS01, FS02 ... etc

Tomlin
05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
That's what I do - use the PC names on the network. Set once and forget, works great.

On each PC just go into control panel, system and change your pc name to something meaningful. Im using FS01, FS02 ... etc

I like this idea. If I do this, will I have to go back into my Project Magent and reconfig?

rt72
08-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to use UltraVNC to view/mirror and control my main FS2004 (Scenery) PC from another (client) instructor PC. The server (Scenery) PC is using TH2Go.

Has anyone had any luck getting a server desktop to show on the client PC without artifacts or a messed-up image using a TH2GO?

I'm wondering if it's the TH2GO, a video card issue, or VNC client/server settings that are causing this.

Thanks!

Trevor Hale
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I think I get what your asking.

In VNC if you have both outputs on your video card active, it stretches the VNC window to match the desktop. However with that being said, when using the tripplehead to go, the computer and (VNC) only think that there is one monitor/projector connected, and doesn't show you the entire thing. Is this correct?

If this is what is happening, I don't think you can get around that.

Trev

rt72
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
The VNC client PC shows the entire server desktop in a window with scroll bars, which is good, but when I move the mouse around and try do do anything I get really strange video redraw stuff happening and can't really see anything after that.

I've got another video card on the VNC server PC that I'm not using. I'm going to hook up another monitor to it and make it the primary monitor and then see if I can see that monitor OK from the VNC client PC. Then I'll know if it's something with the other vid card or TH2Go.

I suspect it's the Th2GO, but thought I'd ask before I try anything else.

Trevor Hale
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
This is the best idea, however, just remember VNC is not designed to let you play games through it. It is going to give you very grainy and slow refresh graphics. If I am not mistaken at 256 colors.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Trev

rt72
08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Yup. Thanks Trev. I'm just trying to use it to tweak windows and get to menus for tweaks on FS once the scenery is adjusted and setup in my pit.

Trevor Hale
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I do the same thing, but just minimize FS when I need to do stuff.

I have never seen it behave though when using a Th2go. So that could be a challenge on it's own.

NicD
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I use it the same way with a TH2GO. Refresh can be a bit laggy but the screen redraw is accurate. I had to play with VNC/video settings to get this right.. but it was a long time ago so can't remember what I did. I have noticed that diffrent versions of video driver on the server PC can affect this - some versions of Nvidia drivers had given me redraw issues.

rt72
08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys. I think I finally got it working. I had to fiddle with the server settings. The refresh is slow and it slows down the FS machine, but if you minimize the window it stops polling and slowing things down, I guess. All I need it for is adjusting stuff, so it's all good.