PDA

View Full Version : New yokes installed

Westozy
01-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Hi All,

It took ten hours to make new columns and do the swap over but the new yokes are in and working. I couldn't believe everything worked as soon as the PC was running, I just had to calibrate the roll potentiometer. None of the usual PC problems associated with upgrades so that was pleasing. They are an absolute joy to use and have really improved the look of the sim. Pretty tough job and I wouldn't want to do it again, glad it's over!

I'll probably put the old yokes on Ebay soon, they are still intact ready to install. The switch wiring coming out of the bottom of the columns will be labelled ready to hook up. I took the bottom pulleys off to use on the new columns but everything else is there. See the latest pic here -

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2359

Gwyn

QF6228
01-19-2008, 12:58 AM
They look great Gwyn , I can't wait to purchase a pair myself.

Damien

spitfire9
01-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Very nice work!

Matt Olieman
01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Gwynn, all I can say is "WOW!!!!!!!" Looks amazing. You always do a fantastic job Gwynn :) :) :)

Michael Carter
01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Looks great Gwyn. Have you had it up yet?

Westozy
01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Looks great Gwyn. Have you had it up yet?

Cheers guys, yup it flies just great, I got them going today. I now have 180 degree 'lock to lock' which is a lot more travel in rotation than I previously had and this has given the sim a much slower rate of roll. It now has the sensation of being a much heavier aircraft than it was which I think is a definate improvement. Having roller bearings in the column heads makes the action really smooth, that was a good move. The two handles rotate in unison silently and the action is free enough to fit a centering mechanism. This has been a major improvement to my sim and I'm so pleased that Roberto is making these yokes available for the Boeing guys. Roberto and I are planning to work together to design adaptors for CH yokes etc. so stay tuned!
Maybe I'm the first customer to "launch" them, does anyone else have them going yet?

Gwyn

Michael Carter
01-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Sounds good.

On an unrelated note, I replaced the roll springs in mine with a pair of brake springs from a drum brake kit. Much better feel now with the added stiffness.

Westozy
01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds good.

On an unrelated note, I replaced the roll springs in mine with a pair of brake springs from a drum brake kit. Much better feel now with the added stiffness.

Hi Mike,
The 2mm stainless steel wire rope that travels under the floor to transmit the synchronised motion would be a good place to fit springs I think. I haven't sussed it out yet but I will soon. I have to get back to the customer's TQs now after having a couple of weeks off! It's been a long time since I worked on my own sim, it's been fun.

Gwyn

Bob Reed
01-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey Gwyn.. These look great. Very nice job as always. I think I may be in the market for a set of these soon!

Philb737
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Congratulation Gwyn, excellent workmanship!!!!:wink: Are you using FDT simcards?
Cheers,
Phil

Westozy
01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Congratulation Gwyn, excellent workmanship!!!!:wink: Are you using FDT simcards?
Cheers,
Phil

Cheers Phil,
Yes, I do use FDT Sim-Boards and I'm very pleased with them. They have proved very reliable with my PMDG set up and are a breeze to set up. I've just got an additional input module for the overhead panel and also an output module but haven't started wiring them yet.

Gwyn

jmig
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Really professional looking job. Your whole sim looks professional.