PDA

View Full Version : Off line for who knows how long !!

David Rogers
01-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

Went to bed on 1st Jan as normal, after a a browse on my fave forum :)

Woke up on 2nd Jan with no Internet connection ....... the ADSL link from my phone line is dead. :evil:

It has now been 5 days and still no connection. The service I am getting from my ISP in the UK (Orange) is appalling. Support is from India and the agents just read from scripts - they don't LISTEN to anything you are telling them!

The strange thing is that my phone line (the voice part) is working normally - it is just that the ADSL light on my model is now flashing permanently which indicated a problem. I also ran a diagnostic program which indicated "ADSL Link Down".

Orange seem stumped by this and claim everything should be as normal. Basicaly, they don't want to know!

So I am typing this from my Father in Law's house, (can't even access this site from work - it's blocked!), where I have access once per week at best.

Any ideas anyone on what may have caused my ADSL link to die overnight, without provocation ?!

Thanks,

mpl330
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Bad news!! I can appreciate your frustration, it was 7 weeks after moving house before I was connected - didnt realise how much I use the net until then!

Have you tried swapping broadband filters, use a different one?

Good luck
Mike

steveeverson
01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Had similar problem at my friend john Davis during worldflight- not good when your 747-400 simulator is connected to vatsim etc. Got BT out in the end after a few days and they replaced the cable from his house to the telegraph pole. An old cable combined with a bit of a short meant that the telephone was ok but the high bandwidth ADSL signal wasnt strong enough.
So you can have Voice but no ADSL sometimes. Be worth speaking to BT to check the connections.- (think we got looked after as it was a charity event and we needed someone quick but worth a try)
CHeers
Steve:shock:

Geremy Britton
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
sites blocked at work - What:o everyone goes on games when the boss isn't looking dont they?:) are you a teacher or something!

gez

AndyT
01-06-2008, 04:56 AM
Try unplugging and letting the modem sit for a good 10 minutes before you reboot it.
I used to see this problem fairly often. Its usually that the modem has hung up internally on a packet and will not clear until all the juice is drained from it.

If that doesnt do it, try replacing the modem.

David Rogers
01-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi guys,

All fixed at last ........... wow, 6 days with no Internet ....... it really makes you realise how dependent we're all becomming on our access to the outside world via the internet!

The problem was with BT (British Telecom) but for all the problems I had with my ISP (Orange), they did come good in the end by fully managing the issue with BT - I did not have to call them or get involved, Orange got BT to reset my ADSL and thankfully, that fixed the issue!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Now, I got to get my mycockpit.org fix and see what's been going on across the 'boards!

:mrgreen:

mpl330
01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Welcome back - seems like ages :lol:
You've got to get your fix of MyCockpit.org!

Matt Olieman
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Now, I got to get my mycockpit.org fix and see what's been going on across the 'boards!

:mrgreen:

You must of been getting the shakes.... are you ok now :) WOW!!! six days without internet..... :o

David Rogers
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
It was tough guys, but I'm ok now.... I think! :mrgreen:

My next challenge is to get some batteries for my digital camera, so I can give an update on my A320 / A330 / Generic cockpit ........ it's quite close to completion.... (well, as we all know, we never really complete out cockpits ;)).

Have made some test flights on it - full operational flights, (although off-line, using Radar Contact on my 2nd PC)... one A320 flight and one A330 flight.... performed better than I could have dreamed :D ..... a good opportunity to test all of my Hagstrom connected switches and push buttons, all of which performed flawlessly.

Will get some photos up as soon as possible - I will definately always build my own parts and panels from hereon, wherever possible. As well as saving a small fortune, it is so rewarding when most of your pit is self made. Especially for me, as I had zero experience of cutting even a single piece of wood, and zero experience of wiring a plug, much less a set of 18 switches.

Main highlight is that I finally have a Pedestal ! (home built of course :lol:), and I am so happy at how it turned out. Its the part I was most nervous about, yet it's turned out to be one of the finest looking parts of my pit. I have working Airbus starter switches too !

:lol:

mpl330
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Show and tell then please!

Mike
(Currently playing around with a 7" monitor to see if I can get it clear enough to show RadarContact text) :?

David Rogers
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Dying to get some photos up Mike but my blinkin' digital camera gives about 15 minutes use from 2 x Duracell high power batteries! .....it's crazy how much juice it uses. Last year, on holiday in Antigua, we went through 16 batteries (at a cost of almost $60 locally!) in 10 days!

Work is preventing me picking up some more batteries but as soon as I can, I'll get the piccies up! :)

Trevor Hale
01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
David, Go buy some Lithium batteries it will cost you about 18 bucks for 4 but I guarantee you will get WAY WAY WAY more use out of them.

Trev

David Rogers
01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah, some new Philips Lithiums just came out here in the UK, I was going to check them out. :) I think I may also pick up a power adaptor for the camera too for use at home, I'm sure that will work out most cost effective!

Geremy Britton
01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Also you can consider Rechargable batteries. Relatively cheap and lets face it you only have to pay once and they recharge from the mains and last heaps longer.

I remember buying some very cheap batteries and the bloody thing didn't even manage to turn on until it ran out. Definately a must have for familly holidays trips etc. where a camera is essential:)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=rechargable%20batteries&source=15&SD=Y

check out here, a very good site for stuff at good prices failing that try ebay could even be cheaper still.

Kind regards,

geremy

David Rogers
01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Cheers Gez, yes Maplins are good - bought all my switches from 'em :)

It's a good point about rechargables - someone did tell me that some rechargeable batteries won't work in a digital camera (similar to what you said, the camera won't turn on even when the batteries are fully rechardged), but I read of other people having no problems.

We have some rechargeables at work, so I'll try 'em out with my super hungry camera first!

Cheers,

Trevor Hale
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Just be sure to get some 2300mAh AA's you will be fine.