PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motors for Motion Base?

Badge
12-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Can anyone tell me the type of motors used on InMotion Sims 3DOF motion platform located here: http://www.inmotionsimulation.com/products.html the $75,000 one?

The one designed for 5,000lb payload. I have all the tools at my disposal for building a motion base the only thing I lack is the knowledge of the motors used.

CWFlightsim
12-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Do you want to go mains powered or low voltage?

AndyT
12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Wow. They are so totally on drugs with those prices.

Badge
12-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Whats the difference I am i no way an electric motor guru. When It comes time to this step I will have my sim in a separate building out back of the house.

AndyT
12-26-2007, 01:15 AM
For that kind of money I can own a real plane.

Here are your specs;
230 VAC - three-phase (45 amps) Gearhead drive motor.

aviaparts
12-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Badge,

For these kind of bases, usually they use a DC geared motor. But as the prices of the cervo geared motors are way down now, this is the type you should use. DC or AC (ever worse) are not really made for continues reverse of motion.
If you want to go in detail, I can fill you in as I am about to build my platform usint these units.

Badge
12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes please, I would like to learn more about the motors, I understand the software and other linkages just not so knowledgeable about the motors.

aviaparts
12-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I will send you some data sheets tomorrow

nexarone
12-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Please send me the data sheets too. Thanks very much.

I will send you some data sheets tomorrow

Spatate
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Same here.. i am interested in this.. thanks

Jim NZ
12-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Same here please Marnix.
I'm planning ahead !

Thanks, Jim NZ

wannabeaflyer
12-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Marnix Back off Holiday and lookong forward to getting moving again with my project, Christmas spending never ends but ya gotta do what ya gotta do :-) . anyways saw your thread and guess you could call it jumping on the band wagon but would also like to ask if i could get access to your data sheets as i am always looking into differnt means of actuation for my current 2DOF platform Project .... Had a look at a Design Made availabel at the Built For Fun website and that looks very doable easily within the average joes ability if your in this level of the game . but alway worry about long term pounding and loading my platform will subject any DIY actuator to . My Current Ower Steering hybrid Rack system works very well but, not yet stressed it out to the max as i am still developing the new Motion software which is based on Jims taster VB6 Code. so any new ideas regarding DIY actuator options or the science behind their construction are welcomed .. Cheers .. :-)

aviaparts
12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
I have uploaded the files here in mycockpit download library, as soon as the upload has been approved they will be available for download.
This first set of files is the option if you want to use DC geared motors, this was wat I was first planning and is used by the most manufacturers.
As I have mentionned before, the servo motor market has dropped in price, so this type of motors is in fact made for these kind of things. I am still waiting on a few details on these ones, so as soon as I have them I will also upload the files.

Jim NZ
12-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Great stuff ,, Thanks for that Marnix.

JimNZ

wannabeaflyer
12-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Just to say thanks for the info marnix all greatly appreciated... thise units are the real mcoy so im guessing the price tag is suitably expensive LOL:-) but can see why they would be . any idea of the proce per unit Just for info ?? :-)

aviaparts
12-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Here you have it in detail :

Motor = DC motor PENTA POWER

type 4L20 - 600W – 2000 rpm – 180VDC

B5/IEC71 – IP 54

PRICE : 460 Euro/pc

Reductor Type AMP60/3 – ratio 128/1 – Max Koppel 460Nm

As diam 35 mm – 6000N

PAM B5/IEC71

PRICE : 445 Euro/PCE

Steering = KB PENTA POWER type KBMG 212D

230VAC mono

Output variable 0 tot 200V dc

PRIJS : 395 Euro/PCE

Signal Isolator KB PENTA POWER KBSI 240D

PRIJS : 148 Euro/PCE

So roughly you can build a 3DOF motionbase with these industrial motors for a weight to 600 kgs for about 5000 Euro.

And that is exactly wat I am about to do ;-)

Badge
12-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks a lot for the info that is great news!

Goose
12-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Guys, did you even think about wheelchair motors? Those DC motors can be used for motion platform as they are strong and moves smooth, and they are cheap (used from US).

Badge
12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't but much faith in a wheelchair motor to move a 1500-2000lb cockpit.

wannabeaflyer
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Goose, regarding wheelchair motors, a had managed to get 4 of these off ebay at a brilliant price ( i tend to get s tuff now on the basis that if i have then more possiblites are open as and when differents ideas come up ) the motors i have have an output speed of typ 71 RPM and are made by FRAMCO as i was looking to beef up my wiper motor/steering Rack actuator i thought these would last longer, i have not yet connected these to my streering rack but based on th wiper motors ability to throw my platform and myself around i dont think they should be a problem and should get rid of the small amount of backdriving a still get with the wiper motors .... more speed would have been nice but at the time & Price they seemed to good to pass up so now my inventory of possible motors stands at 4 off 24Vdc wheelchair motor/gerabox combos, 4 off wiper motors 12Vdc , 4 off electric bed screw jack type linear actuator, ( 2 different makes ) which i got form a Recycling Yard and dont know if they are fuctional ( more like dont know how to wire them up to test since i did not get the control boxes :-( ... ps my platform loaded at present is around 370lbs ( 180Kg ish )... still needs work but concept proves its doable.. Cheers .

wannabeaflyer
12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Just to say thanks again Marnix guessed there was not gonna be a lot of change left over with the spec of gear you listed LOL :-) oh for a few pounds more pocket money :-) as with the rest of the crew will keep a close eye on your project as and when you post updates great stuff .. :-) What are you gonna do regarding controll software ??

Goose
12-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I have 5 wheelchair motors at home, but I need speed controller so I can use for motion platform.
My biggest problem is what controller to buy and where. any ideas?

wannabeaflyer
12-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi Goose personally im using the KT5198 as recommended by Jim, this board has so far proved to be Graet value Bang for bucks wise and am presently still coding the software using VB6 & Simconnect ( found it a little easier to use than Visual C# ) all of my efforts really have only been possible because of the work Jim has done and released , but getting back to controllers there are now a raft of realativly cost effective controllers out there for guys like us which wont break the bank , and the products that jim & Thanos (Greekbots ) and Ian At Built For Fun are using are a very good way to go .. check out their Websites :-)

Prof Bill
01-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Just discovered this site!!

http://www.transmotec.com/shop/MotorsDC.aspx?gclid=CJmL2Pnk3JACFQHilAodEzyZrA

Bill

Badge
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Which of those big motors would we want to use?

nexarone
01-05-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the motor requirement details. Unfortunately the cost is way out of my budget.

I am considering pneumatic rotary actuator instead of electric motor. Would anyone care to comment? Might be a cheaper option, maybe?

Another interesting electric actuator I was looking at is ServoRam. This is a pneumatic/electric hybrid cylinder ram. Can't find much info, however. No idea about the price of one. No doubt will be expensive. It uses compressed air to support the payload and an electric linear actuator to drive high load with great efficiency and precision. Interesting concept.

Here you have it in detail :
So roughly you can build a 3DOF motionbase with these industrial motors for a weight to 600 kgs for about 5000 Euro.

Prof Bill
01-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi nexarone,

You should have a look at the following site if you want something really cost effective that might solve your problem!!

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/linear-act.html

Ian who owns this site is very knowledgeable, most helpful and inventive!

Bill.

nexarone
01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Prof Bill,

Yes I have seem that. Great site. I'm looking forward to his 3dof platform plan. Unconventional design I must say. Cheers.

Hi nexarone,

You should have a look at the following site if you want something really cost effective that might solve your problem!!

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/linear-act.html

Ian who owns this site is very knowledgeable, most helpful and inventive!

Bill.

egoexpress
02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi,

what do you guys think about 1000-1200Watt DC scooter motors.
http://www.cn-dcmotor.com/productShows.asp?ArticleID=277
Connected to a 1:60 reduction made of DIY pulleys, which translate those 4000rpm to 1rps and ~190Nm, and a lever which is connected to a platform.

Reliable solution, or just another toy, what do you think?.

I've sent a request to the manufacturer, and got a quote.

780 USD including shipping for 10pcs 1000W 36-48V motors (they have different models) -> 78 USD/motor.

Neat price, I think.

Regards
Christian

AndyT
02-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Wheelchair motors ROCK! They dont have the speed some others do, but you dont need that much speed anyway. They DO have huge amounts of torque and can move mountains. And they are only 12 volt DC.