PDA

View Full Version : My 767-300 Progress

andarlite
12-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Thought I would start a new thread instead of updating to my "Starting Over" thread.

See http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showpost.php?p=45607&postcount=25 for previous pictures.

Here's a couple of progress pictures.... picked up a pair of brand new truck seats for $30 each... here's the FO seat:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1031.jpg

They are real nice and comfortable.... and the price was good.

Here's some progress on the MIP:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1033.jpg
Need to do a lot more work on the center panel.... that blank spot is where the standby guages goes.... they will be fakes until I get a 19" widescreen to replace the 17" one that is there now. I will be painting these soon. More to come.

Regards,
Henry

737NUT
12-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Looks good! Are you using PM software?

David Rogers
12-20-2007, 08:49 AM
That is looking fantastic Henry! I love your panels.

I see you are using the GF RP-48 for your MCP ..... I ordered one this week for exactly the same purpose (although being in an Airbus it will be a FCU).

Looks great!

luisgordo
12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Looks real good Henry! Keep it up!

I specially like the truck seats... they look comfy!

Paul Thomas
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Looks verry nice and I just love to see the use of GoFlight modules. I have 6 GF modules myself and I am very satisfied with those.

andarlite
12-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys.

737Nut - No, I'm not using PM. I'm using Level D 767 and I just modified the panel.cfg file to create the Capt and Center panels and positioned the guages. The FO has the same view as the Capt (using a VGA splitter cable).

I was going to make my own seats (similiar to BSW seat) until I came upon these truck seat..... couldn't pass them up for that price.

And yes, the Goflight modules work great..... I'm using the RP-48 for the MCP (see one of my previous photo in the "Starting Over" link for the complete MCP panel)...... I don't have that panel in the picture as I am currently wiring up the switches... the only thing that it won't have is the display for the speed, heading, etc. Anyway, it's just a temporary solution until I can afford a MCP. I'm also using a GF-166 as my Com and ILS radio. I would like to get 2 more GF-166's (3 in total) for use as (Com1 and Com2) , ILS, and (transponder and ADF). I also have a remote RP-48 kit that I am using for the altimeter, auto brakes and EFIS.

Regards,
Henry

Tomlin
12-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Henry, are you using ONE GF166 as both a Comm AND a Nav on the same unit? If so, then how?

andarlite
12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Henry, are you using ONE GF166 as both a Comm AND a Nav on the same unit? If so, then how?

Eric, yes, that's what I am doing. I'm actually also using it as a Transponder too, but you need to use one of your RP-48 buttons for that. Here's how you do it for Comm and Nav:

COM1_NAV1_TOGGLE

Enables the GF-166 to function as a NAV/COMM radio, alternately toggling between COM1 and NAV1 each time the button is pressed.

Button Action: Selector. When the GF-166 is functioning as COM1, pushing the button reconfigures the unit to function as NAV1. When functioning as NAV1 (or any other function other than COM1), pushing the button reconfigures the GF-166 to function as COM1.Indicator: Always off when this function is assigned.
A small letter 'c' (for COM) or 'n' (for NAV) appears in the upper left corner of the active frequency display providing an indication of the current operating mode.
Contents from GFCONFIG.HLP v1.30, %date, Copyright © GoFlight Inc. All rights reserved.

Use the GFConfig program to program the left button to have the function of COM1_NAV1_TOGGLE. You can also have it toggle between COM1_COM2, NAV1_NAV2, Transponder_ADF and COM2_NAV2.

I also program the right button to be NAV_FREQ_OBS_SEL because on the 767 ILS radio, you use the right display to tune in your Course.

You can also program your GF-166 functionality from a RP-48. For example, I programmed one of my rp-48 buttons to be GF166_<N> FUNC_XPDR<N><N>. I punch that button when ATC gives me the Transponder code, dial it in on the GF-166, punch the left button on the GF-166 to convert it back to be COM1. Once ATC gives me the runway to land on, I look up the ILS frequency and course, punch the left button to convert to NAV1, dial in the freqency, transfer it to left display, punch the right button, dial in the course, punch the left button to go back to COM1 again. The GF-166 remembers all the Frequency, course and XPDR settings for whatever it functionality is as you switch around.

Very versatile, these Goflight units. Natually, as I mentioned earlier, I would prefer to have 2 more GF-166 so I don't have to do all this switching around, but for now, it works (and it works great).

Regards,
Henry

Tomlin
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Wow, this is great information. I doubt I will use it as you have, (as I have mine operating currently as a Nav1/Nav2 unit only) but being able to switch between Nav1 and Comm1 is neat. From what I read though, you're saying that I can keep Nav1/2 and add Comm though all at the same time? Wow.

I will have to play with this.

thanks,

andarlite
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes, that's correct.

So, what were you using for a COM radio before?

Regards,
Henry

Tomlin
12-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Im using the popup ATC window and option 1, 2, 3, etc. currently :P-

andarlite
02-12-2008, 01:13 AM
A bit more work done.... also did some painting....the paint I used was American Accent "satin Nutmeg" which was recommended as a close match to Boeing brown on MikesFlightDeck.com:

The Altimeter is Goflight rotary encoder connected to remote RP48
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1106.jpg

All switches are connected to Hagstrom except for AutoBrakes which is Goflight rotary encoder to remote RP48. I had to do a lot of head scratching to figure how to get a toggle switch on the Heading Ref and pushbuttons on the Thrust Rating Panels since they are over the LCD. Alright, I guess I should confess that the Altn Flap is just a knob with no switch behind it (yet).
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1109.jpg

No panel cutouts on LCD so that I can use the FO side for flying other planes - it's a copy of Capt display using VGA splitter cable
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1111.jpg

The EFIS (made from Goflight remote RP48 and Parking Brake (push-pull boat switch to Hagstrom):
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1107.jpg

I still need to add some annunciators.

Regards,
Henry

kiek
02-12-2008, 04:02 AM
Thanks guys.

And yes, the Goflight modules work great..... I'm using the RP-48 for the MCP (see one of my previous photo in the "Starting Over" link for the complete MCP panel)...... I don't have that panel in the picture as I am currently wiring up the switches... the only thing that it won't have is the display for the speed, heading, etc. Anyway, it's just a temporary solution until I can afford a MCP. I'm also using a GF-166 as my Com and ILS radio. I would like to get 2 more GF-166's (3 in total) for use as (Com1 and Com2) , ILS, and (transponder and ADF). I also have a remote RP-48 kit that I am using for the altimeter, auto brakes and EFIS.

Regards,
Henry
HI,
Nice setup Henry,
Just for information: If you would use Opencockpits IOcards and SIOC software you can interface almost every switch, led, 7-segment display of the Level-D digitally with my free Lekseecon program (that connects SIOC with the Level-D SDK). Far more cheaper then GOFlight modules and with lots of more functionality. It only costs you a lot more work in building.
Nico Kaan

andarlite
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Nico

Is it possible for me to keep my current setup and use the OpenCockpits USBOutputs card (for the annuciators) with your Lekseecon program?

Regards,
Henry

kiek
02-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Henry,

Yes ofcourse!

That would indeed be a simple and cheap solution for controlling 64 leds (with dimming). You can pick any led/annun in the Level-D panel you want by using the right pre-defined SIOC vars. The SIOC code is not difficult, you can find it at my site.

Regards,

Nico

Paul G
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Henry,

Nice work. I'm now building a 767 myself although I'm not happy with my homebuilt panel and plan to redo it, possibly get it made by a sign maker with backlighting etc.

Which material did you use for your instrument panel? Looks like 1/4" panel board. If this is the case, what did you use to get such straight edges on the (square) instrument displays? I bought and tried every tool that exists short of a laser or CNC Router. Even by cutting rough with a jigsaw and then using a metal edge to mark the desired cut and using a rotary tool with a sanding cylinder, I didn't get perfect results like yours. I found where I did manage to get a straight edge, the particleboard I used is not really robust and started to chip, despite painting it with an enamel paint.

I like your choice of using Level D 767 instrumentation over PM. Despite being a very sophisticated and advanced system, LD provide keyboard shortcuts for just about every control. So should be easy to practically replicate the whole thing without stretching the wallet to PM and then getting a hybrid boeing instrument display.

I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress.

Paul

andarlite
02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Paul

Thanks.

The material I used is "1/8 inch standard hardboard". Costed me a buck 35 at Home Depot for a 24"x24" sheet. Also comes in larger sizes..... it's nice to work with and I wasn't too concern about having backlighting on the MIP. I also wanted something cheap as I knew I would be making mistakes and have to re-do (believe me, I went throught a lot of sheets).

To get the straight edge, I first put masking tape over the area where the cut would be made (to prevent chipping), I clamped a steel straight-edge on the cut line to use as a guide and I cut it by hand with what I think is called a "keyhole saw" with a fine blade. I then use a fine file to finish off. At first I tried the jigsaw and it was terrible.... same with using the dremel tool to sand...... I could only achieved satisfactory results with non-power tools. I'm sure someone like Gynn could have done it perfectly on the first try in his sleep with one hand tied behind his back (and probably no filing required either) :D.

Level D is certainly made for the cockpit builder in mind (unlike PMDG). Are you using Nico Lekseecon program and Opencockpits boards in your build?

Regards,
Henry

kiek
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
... LD provide keyboard shortcuts for just about every control. So should be easy to practically replicate the whole thing without stretching the wallet ...

Even better then that, Level-D provides an SDK, so you can interface digitally with the Level-D. Keyboard shortcuts is a bit primitive interface (of the previous century ;-) ), they do not work for instance if the panel has no focus, and if you want to set Alt to say 23000 feet it is a bit clumsy to do that with keystrokes for increment and decrement; you want to be able to set the altitude at a certain value. The latter is possible with the Level-D SK. My freeware programs FSCONV and Lekseecon make the SDK available in FSUIPC offsets and as SIOC Variables, so home cockpit builders do not have to program in C to use the SDK.

Nico Kaan

andarlite
02-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Keyboard shortcuts is a bit primitive interface (of the previous century ;-) ), they do not work for instance if the panel has no focus, and if you want to set Alt to say 23000 feet it is a bit clumsy to do that with keystrokes for increment and decrement;

Nico Kaan

Hi Nico

The part about it not working if the panel has no focus is not true. As long as the keyboard shortcut is provided for a certain command, it's irrelevant where the panel is...... your statement only applies if you were using a program such as Key2Mouse, but thankfully with the Level D you don't need it. You can also get by with incrementing/decrementing the Alt using a Pulse switch connected to a Hagstrom card (with keystroke command) or even Leo Bodnar card.

Anyway, not trying to be difficult or anything.:D I think your Lekseecon program along the OpenCockpits cards is the ideal way to go for a 767 cockpit............but there are also other simpler solutions (ie. keystrokes) that also work and it all depends on how much effort and at what level the cockpit builder is at.

Once again, thanks for the incredible wealth of information you have provided on your website for us 767 builders. I espescially applaud you for providing FSCONV and Lekseecon AND support for them all for FREE.

Regards,
Henry

kiek
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't agree with you. I have used Knitter switches (a pulse switch) in the past (the previous century actually ;-) ) connected to a Hagstrom KE72 card and if another application at the FS9 pc has window focus, for instance Servinfo or SB3, then the keys arrive in these applications and not in FS9/Level-D ...

I 'm not saying keystrokes do not work, and I agree it is a simple to understand solution, but come on guys, lets' make some progress now :-) , and lets step into the world of real interfaces! They are also cheap, that is not the problem, they are only a little bit more complicated to learn and apply, but after you have seen the light, you will never go back to keystrokes again :-).

Paul G
02-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Henry,

Interesting point about power tools. Perhaps they are just too aggressive. I'm sure I have one of those keyhole saws you're talking about, although mine is coarse tooth for making rough cuts.

Regarding the software and hardware interface, I'll probably use one of those dedicated to Level D. I'm also looking into editing the instrument display so that I don't have to use Project Magenta for instrumentation. I don't care if the 1st office side is a replica of Captain's (instead of mirror image). The person doing the flying in my sim will always sit in the Captain's chair, especially if it saves me a thousand dollars hahaha.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks.

The material I used is "1/8 inch standard hardboard". Costed me a buck 35 at Home Depot for a 24"x24" sheet. Also comes in larger sizes..... it's nice to work with and I wasn't too concern about having backlighting on the MIP. I also wanted something cheap as I knew I would be making mistakes and have to re-do (believe me, I went throught a lot of sheets).

To get the straight edge, I first put masking tape over the area where the cut would be made (to prevent chipping), I clamped a steel straight-edge on the cut line to use as a guide and I cut it by hand with what I think is called a "keyhole saw" with a fine blade. I then use a fine file to finish off. At first I tried the jigsaw and it was terrible.... same with using the dremel tool to sand...... I could only achieved satisfactory results with non-power tools. I'm sure someone like Gynn could have done it perfectly on the first try in his sleep with one hand tied behind his back (and probably no filing required either) :D.

Level D is certainly made for the cockpit builder in mind (unlike PMDG). Are you using Nico Lekseecon program and Opencockpits boards in your build?

Regards,
Henry

Polmer
02-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Great progress on your 767 Henry!

I am also working on a LevelD 767 and you gave me a few ideas with your setup. you did a great job of utilizing your center MIP ( i.e using the the LCD monitor to display flaps, annunciators, etc).

I see knob on your captains side MIP on the Altimeter, it is a functional?
Is so, what is the interface; encoder & SIOC/Lekseecon?

Thanks.

Polmer

andarlite
02-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Great progress on your 767 Henry!

I am also working on a LevelD 767 and you gave me a few ideas with your setup. you did a great job of utilizing your center MIP ( i.e using the the LCD monitor to display flaps, annunciators, etc).

I see knob on your captains side MIP on the Altimeter, it is a functional?
Is so, what is the interface; encoder & SIOC/Lekseecon?

Thanks.

Polmer

Hi Polmer

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the Altimeter is functional..... there's a Goflight rotary encoder back there connected to a remote RP48.

Regards,
Henry

David Rogers
02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Love your updates Henry, a I just love your approach to your build. I follow many of the same strategies as you. (I am also using go-flight modules such as the RP-48, in combination with key commands).

I mainly use the RP-48 with the feelThere Airbus Series and it works fab as a FCU, but I did have problems with the Level D ....... the settings always seemed to "run away" with themselves. ie.... turn the RP48 knob that is linked to the ALT knob and at first it would increment very slowly...ie, 1100, 1200, 1300 ......but then after a couple more turns it would suddenly run off to 40,000 !!

Did you ever have this issue?

andarlite
02-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi David

Great to hear from you again.....BTW, where are those pictures of your Airbus cockpit that you keep promising us? :p

If you are using Goflight modules with the Level D 767 then it is highly recommended that you use a free program that Bert de Keizer has written. It interfaces the Goflight modules through the Level D SDK:

http://bkbs.nl/leveldgf/leveldgf_306.zip

I don't have the problem you are having since I'm using Bert's program. Just make sure when you do the assignments, that any switches or rotaries aren't already assigned throught the Goflight configuration software.

Regards,
Henry

blocks_off
05-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi

I have a question after looking at both this thread and westozy's website.
So here we are using LDS767 and PMDG for westozy.
How many pcs do you use? The reason for asking is that through my reading so far, I thought that sim building went better with the client/server solutions (i.e. airsimtech or majenta and recently sim-avionics). Therefore being able to split the captains and fo side, then visuals for example.

So I am really interested in how many monitors are driving the visuals if my assumption of running pmdg or lds767 and fs on one pc is correct.

Thanks

Carl

andarlite
05-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi

I have a question after looking at both this thread and westozy's website.
So here we are using LDS767 and PMDG for westozy.
How many pcs do you use? The reason for asking is that through my reading so far, I thought that sim building went better with the client/server solutions (i.e. airsimtech or majenta and recently sim-avionics). Therefore being able to split the captains and fo side, then visuals for example.

So I am really interested in how many monitors are driving the visuals if my assumption of running pmdg or lds767 and fs on one pc is correct.

Thanks

Carl

I'm just running one PC. There's no choice with the Level D 767 software. I have 2 video cards driving a Matrox TripleHead2Go (currently to 2 (soon to be 3) 22 inch LCD for outside view) and 3 17 inch LCD for the instrument (using VGA splitter for the captain and FO monitor so they are sharing the same view). I also have a 5 inch Sony PS1 LCD for the FMS.

Obviously it would be better performance wise with multiple PC to share the load. But I don't have the space nor want the hassle so I prefer just a single PC.

When I initially had a single core CPU, the frame rate was terrible (10-15fps), but now with a dual-core (e6700), it never drops below 20 (everything maxed). I have a cheap video card (7900GS) but am planning on a 8800GT soon. So, as you can see, I get acceptable performance from this one low-end PC.

Regards,
Henry

brynjames
05-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Henry,

An inspiring project!

I would like to be sure I understand your graphics set-up :)
Video card One drives a TH2GO with 2/3 monitors for outside view
Video card Two drives drives two cloned monitors for captain/FO instruments

How do you drive the third 17 inch monitor and the 5 inch monitor - are these driven from another head on the graphics card(s) or do you have 2 TH2GO boxes?

Also, are the graphics cards PCI-Express, AGP, or PCI?

Thanks.

Bryn

andarlite
05-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Bryn

I'm currently using a 7900GS (PCI-E) and an FX5200 (PCI). Each video card has 2 VGA outputs and S-video. The 7900Gs drives the TH2G (2 22" LCD) and the Capt 17" LCD with VGA splitter to FO 17" LCD. The FX5200 drives the centre 17" LCD and the s-video will drive the 5" PS1 LCD. I'm not using the 2nd VGA output on the FX 5200.

I will soon be getting a 8800GT and will retire the FX 5200 (my motherboard has 2 PCI-E ports).

Regards,
Henry

blocks_off
05-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks for replies
Carl

brynjames
05-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks Henry, it's amazing how many bits some of the older graphics cards can push out!

--
Bryn

andarlite
12-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Been a while but here's some updates..... progress been slow.... pedestal is coming along. Most are home made panels except for the real Boeing Weather Radar and a remake ILS (both came from Roberto) and the Goflight GF-166. The color is Rustoleum Nutmeg (as mentioned on Mike's Powell site as a substitute), which doesn't quite match the real (although i hear there's some variation even with the real panels with the different manufacturers). The ADF, ILS and Transponder are based on Goflight remote GF-166 kit. Found some knobs which other than the color are perfect for the audio panel (and a lot cheaper too). Anyone know how I could give it that transparent look?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1351.jpg

I initially used a Goflight remote RP-48 kit for my MCP, and although not widely known, Goflight also has a remote MCP kit which I recently obtained:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1352.jpg

Most of the parts to start construction of the MCP:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1356.jpg

Also started work on a rudimentary shell:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1358.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/100_1359.jpg

Regards,
Henry
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/?action=view&current=100_1352.jpg

mounty
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Nico,

Are you saying you basically only have to assign switches to your program, and that the interface doesn't require any further programming for the 767 D? Something like using FSUIPC where you just use the pull down menu to assign buttons and switches?

Thanks

Rob

mounty
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Henry,

I have a Go Flight MCP Pro for sale if you are interested. If you are PM me and I think I can let you have it for a good price.

Rob

andarlite
01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Henry,

I have a Go Flight MCP Pro for sale if you are interested. If you are PM me and I think I can let you have it for a good price.

Rob

Hi Rob

It's too bad that I didn't know about this in early Dec. of last year... probably have taken you up on it. However I have since purchased GoFlight remote kit of their MCP. This will actually allow me to build my MCP to match the 767 (as opposed to the 737 appearance of the MCP Pro).

Thanks anyway.

Henry

Tony Hill
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Looking good.

The outside structure is taking shape nicely. Keep up the good work.

andarlite
01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Tony. It doesn't quite match up to the workmanship of your Spitfire, but it does impress people who drop over.

Regards,
Henry

Tony Hill
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks Tony. It doesn't quite match up to the workmanship of your Spitfire, but it does impress people who drop over.

Regards,
Henry

Henry,

I should be so lucky to have that much workmanship on the Spitty...all I have so far is a green box with some lights and a few bits bought of EBay. I previously built an F-16, so I know how much work it has taken you to get this far...congrats

andarlite
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Tony, that green box of yours was one fine piece of work.... excellent reproduction..... the Spitfire is one of my son's (he's twelve) favorite plane. We look forward to seeing your continue progress.

Regards
Henry

Michael Carter
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
That's really coming along Henry. Looking good!

andarlite
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
A bit more work completed on the pedestal:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/2009-01-28Cockpit008.jpg

You can see the knobs that I received from Padraig on all the radios and the transponder:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/2009-01-28Cockpit011.jpg

The sad part is that after now just completing those panels, they may all get ditched to be replaced with ones from Phil.

Finished the overhead frame:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/2009-01-28Cockpit001.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/2009-01-28Cockpit013.jpg

Regards,
Henry

Trevor Hale
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Those Knobs are from Simknobs?? (Nihad) Or Padraig?

andarlite
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Those Knobs are from Simknobs?? (Nihad) Or Padraig?

From Padraig....I was one of the lucky ones..... I actually did receive my order from him (ordered Sept 21, received early Dec).

Regards,
Henry

Michael Carter
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice work Henry. That's looking good.

So those are the elusive knobs...

They look good. To bad very few are getting any. :(

andarlite
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Nice work Henry. That's looking good.

So those are the elusive knobs...

They look good. To bad very few are getting any. :(

Thanks Mike.

Yeah, it's too bad about Padraig.... the price was very good and the quality is excellent. The problem now is that I need a few more .... I initially just placed a small order with him to test the waters.

Regards,
Henry

JW&Partner
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Hello,

I'm following up all the entries regarding the knobs and it makes me sad. After Padraig ordered some knobs (1 from each knob we offer) He reproduced them and offered them to you. And the best on this story is, he never paid the invoice of these knobs. If someone reproduces the original ones and sells them - thats one thing. But due to copyright reasons we redesigned all knobs from scratch, prototype them and then reproduce them. The protoyping is not very cheap so it need a lot of knobs to get the costs for prototyping and molding. I begged im not to sell our knobs. And he promised me to do so.
So - what makes me really sad is not that he is selling the knobs but promising me not to do so.

regards Jörg

andarlite
05-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Some more progress...... finished the MCP..... used a Goflight remote MCP:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/2009-05-04Cockpit001.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/2009-05-04Cockpit007.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on some overhead and other various panels from Phil. :grin:

Regards,
Henry

richard hutchinson
08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi all

I am running Lev D 767 and need to be able to undock the Nav and EICAs screens. I am running FXpand etc for others. Could someone explain in 'easy' terms how I can do this. At present, I have six LCD's, three for view on TH2Go and three for instruments (again on another TH2Go).

Shortly I will be receiving three large LCD panels for the view screens, so I will then have six LCD's available for instruments. The NAV screen in FXpand doesn't show waypoints etc, and the EICAS doesn't show all the engine detail I need, so I need to transfer these to the instrument LCD's.

Really interested in learning how I do this, so would appreaciate any help in achieveing this.

Thank you in advance
Richard Hutchinson
UK

P1IC
08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe you just can't trust the Irish - being Scottish, I can get away with saying that :(

Hello,

I'm following up all the entries regarding the knobs and it makes me sad. After Padraig ordered some knobs (1 from each knob we offer) He reproduced them and offered them to you. And the best on this story is, he never paid the invoice of these knobs. If someone reproduces the original ones and sells them - thats one thing. But due to copyright reasons we redesigned all knobs from scratch, prototype them and then reproduce them. The protoyping is not very cheap so it need a lot of knobs to get the costs for prototyping and molding. I begged im not to sell our knobs. And he promised me to do so.
So - what makes me really sad is not that he is selling the knobs but promising me not to do so.

regards Jörg

Anderson/SBSP
08-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Great Job!!! Wonderfull.

shoumi
08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Henry,

Great photos of your awesome pit!
I am also a 767 LD builder in very early stages. I have only managed to make the MCP so far (using IOCARDS).

I had to dump the idea of PMDG 747 because I could not make it work, and after emailing our 767 guru Nico (who suggested I use LD767).

It would be wonderful if you could give some pointers time to time.

To start with,
1. How did you change the config file for the panels to fit the monitors?I was planning to go with FSXPAND for the EICAS displays, but see your setup will give me everything that is on the 767 itself (so I won't have to improvise).
2. Do you run FSX or FS9?
3. What kind of computer do you have? Do you use any add-ons?

Also, I am local to you (live in Milton, previously from Mississauga), so perhaps we could even meet up and talk about our amazing pocket-emptying hobby, lol.

Thanks in advance, and please post a few more pics on the forum for all to see.

Taufeeq
Milton, ON

andarlite
08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Taufeeq

Thanks for your kind words.

1. If you give me your e-mail I can send my panel.cfg to you.
2. I'm using FSX.
3. I'm just using a lowly e7300 overclocked to 3.4 GHz, 2 G ram, Nvidea 8800 GTX and 7900GS video cards. An upgrade to an i7 should be coming soon. Some add-ons I have are UTX, GEX and FlyTampa Hong Kong.

Would be great to meet up sometime (let's try in Sept ..... busy now with family and friends visiting).

Should have some more pictures soon. I got a bunch of panels in from Phil recently and am currently wiring up the backlighting.

Regards,
Henry

shoumi
08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Henry,

That is great to hear. Yes, September-October sounds great!

I was a bit worried that FSX may not run properly even with the fastest computers. But if you are getting good FPS with your computer (which is still a good one @ 3.4 Gig) then I will go ahead with FSX, and buy a new PC in the future.

My email is scorpiostings2002@yahoo.ca, and would appreciate the panel.cfg and any advise you can give on the multi-monitor hookup.

I am basically trying to hand build everything, even the panels.
I will use silicone compound to make the panels, as they seem to be easier to cut with a dremel.
Your glareshield looks great, and I will take the advise you gave for hand cutting instead of using power tools.
I was a bit lost before on the EICAS, but see now it can be incorporated very nicely through LD767.

Anyway, please send me some pics of your setup, so that I can get the encouragement and pick up some ideas.

Thanks again,

Taufeeq
New builder-LD767

richard hutchinson
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Hiya

I am too am well on with building the 767-300 cockpit

In answer to some of your posted questions -

FSX will run fine on a dual core, but not too loaded with scenery. You need a good graphics card, minimum Nvidia 8500GT for optimum results. Don't get anything with less than 512Gb on the card. Suggest you ensure any PC you get has a free update to Windows 7 as Vista is crap! Win 7 is tons better!

I am running a quad core with 1Gb video card, running through a TH2GO on three monitors for the view. Also running a networked P4 (also has TH2Go) with FSView on it, (Four LCD's for instruments) and FSxpand on the quad

Try looking at PVC plastic, 1.5mm thick. You can buy it in big long sheets and it's very cheap - about £6.00 for a 2M x 0.5M piece. This is easy to cut with a Stanley knife to cover your monitors/instruments with as a MIP fascia and they do it in a nice grey. (Can't get the 767 kaki colour). It has paper on it so you don't mark it as you cut, then when finished , peel it off for a nice shiny finish! Any instrument holes, I always drill the corners to get the round corners then cut with craft knife alond a good straight edge.

For your overhead when you get to it, use 3mm white plexiglass (you can get offcuts off the net). Then buy Letraset Safmat which is a very thin clear film.

Do your overhead design layout on your PC, test it on paper first to see if it's ok. When done, make the backround grey and the lettering/legends white. Out the Letraset Safmat into a mono laser and print it out. Lasers cannot produce white so they leave it clear. Apply this to your white plexiglass and you have nice white, sharp lettering. Bung lights behind it and you have backlighting! Simples!

Have a look at Ian's fantastic site - www.737ng.co.uk there is loads of tips and great help on it. It has helped me no end!

Hope this helps you along the road, as many have helped me get as far as I have. Anything else that I may be able to help on, just ask. Not an expert, just learning from others and passing on ideas I have found work, which is what this is all about I feel.

Best regards
Richard

richard hutchinson
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe some kind soul can help me along a bit. Pls see previous post here for my PC specs. I desperately need to get the NAV screen out of FSX as Fsxpand doesn't give me all the waypoints. They are all showing on the 767 NAV screen

Any help appreciated
Rich

andarlite
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Another update .... got some of Phil panels lit up over the holidays. His more recent ones just need 5 V plug in and away you go ..... but I also have some of his earlier ones where he gives you a bag of leds and resistors so some work is required:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/Cockpit001.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/Cockpit002.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/Cockpit003.jpg

Next to do is the overhead panels:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/Cockpit004.jpg

Replace center MIP 19inch LCD with 19inch wide screen so am able to add in standby guages now .... center MIP panel is removed in this photo as I now have to drill out holes to display the new guages:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/andarlite/Cockpit010.jpg

Regards,
Henry

Per Alm
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Very, very very Nice!!

Impressive!!!

Regards

mounty
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Are you using TH2Go for outside views and what size monitors are you using?
Do you get a stretched view of the outside or regular view with widescreen?

Thanks

Rob

andarlite
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi,

Are you using TH2Go for outside views and what size monitors are you using?
Do you get a stretched view of the outside or regular view with widescreen?

Thanks

Rob

Rob, I'm using the digital TH2Go with 3 22 inch widescreen LCD at a resolution of 5040x1050.

Not sure what you mean by a stretched or regular view ..... with a widewcreen monitor you will see more FOV than a non-widescreen monitor ...... likewise with the TH2G you see even greater FOV with 3 monitors over say, only 2 monitors (you are not seeing what you would see on 2 monitors stretched over 3 monitors... you are seeing more scenery on the 3 monitors). Now if you happen to display the aircraft cockpit panel, then the panel will look stretched. Hope that was what you wanted to know.

Thanks Per, pretty impressive cockpit project you got yourself.

Regards,
Henry

smartarze
09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
if anyone has the panel cfg for leveld please send it to smartarze@hotmail.co.uk

this is the only thing holding up my cockpit build

many thanks

ran56
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Looking good Henry,
very impresive.