PDA

View Full Version : Cocckpit Covering

Martin Cumming
12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm building a 737 cockpit but have little idea what material it should be covered with (inside and out) bearing in mind the various curves. Advice would be appreciated

Martin

Trevor Hale
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey Martin,

In the past I have used 1/4" Drywall, because it bends quite easily. More recently I have used Fiberglass cloth.

Just my $.02

Trev

Martin Cumming
12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I like that $0.02 worth!

Martin Cumming
12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Trevor

The guy helping me says what about the fumes? I'm building this in my dining room. Unfortunately the ground floor is completely open plan!

Badge
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Nothing smells better than fiberglass and resin!

Trevor Hale
12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Trevor

The guy helping me says what about the fumes? I'm building this in my dining room. Unfortunately the ground floor is completely open plan!

Ohh, you would be smelling resin for months. Not for use in the house especially if you have small kids or pets.

I took my wood roof section out to my garage and laid it upside down, What I did was place a layer of cloth (upside down over the roof section so it hangs down like a bowl) and used a paint brush to secure the resin to the frame. Once this resin was dry I painted the Bowl with resin, so it would hold its bowl shape.

It works great, but you really should have an outdoor place to do it. Even with proper ventilation it will reek.

Trev

mlscotti
12-06-2007, 05:32 PM
So let me get this correct. With fiberglass mesh fastened to a frame, all you have to do is cover it with a resin and let it set.. and i assume you can add multiple layers and sand it smooth????

Trevor Hale
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
You got it! :) Mine could have been sanded smoother, but It is dark, and you never see it anyway.

Bad picture, but you get the idea.

http://www.fsflightservice.com/Images/P1010581.JPG

Westozy
12-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I am considering a white vinyl cover made by an upholsterer that buttons on to my roof frame similar to say the roof of a convertible. When my roof framework has the external ribs to form the proper shape, a good upholsterer could form the cover. Then it would just unbutton to access overhead panel wiring. I haven't really paid much attention to the external appearance of my sim yet. It's pretty much out of view anyway but I will eventually dress it up a bit.

What do you guys think of this idea???

Gwyn

Tomlin
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
How would it keep the concave shape since the material is not rigid?

Trevor Hale
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
You paint resin on it when it it upside down. The resin dries in the bowl shape.

mlscotti
12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I am considering a white vinyl cover made by an upholsterer that buttons on to my roof frame similar to say the roof of a convertible. When my roof framework has the external ribs to form the proper shape, a good upholsterer could form the cover. Then it would just unbutton to access overhead panel wiring. I haven't really paid much attention to the external appearance of my sim yet. It's pretty much out of view anyway but I will eventually dress it up a bit.

What do you guys think of this idea???

Gwyn
Sounds interesting but it will have to be pulled tight which might effect your framing. I too am using a old hot tub cover for the upholdery
but im only gonna use it for interior decoration and maybe above the glare shield.. i guess to keep the material taught you could fill in between the ribs with foam, similar to chair foam.. But that sounds llike a pain.

Martin Cumming
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I can't find Ivar's tutorial. Can someone send me a link!

Trevor Hale
12-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Here ya go Martin.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10043

Trev

Gsey
12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Thats exactly how Im going to do it as well Gwyn.

Gary

JOSE J GONZALEZ AVILA
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Galvanize Metal Screen Like The One Use To Make Bird Cages, I Have Use It Before Covering To Give A Base To Hold Vinil Or Other Materials That Need Support. To Hold The Scren You Can Use Staples The One Use To Hold Wire That Are Shape Like A U . Some Time Ago I Made A Small Boat This Way And It Work For Me.they Sell This Screen In Many Diferent Size And Gauges.
Just Another Idea To Consider. Gooo Luck . Jose .

Westozy
12-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Sounds interesting but it will have to be pulled tight which might effect your framing. I too am using a old hot tub cover for the upholdery
but im only gonna use it for interior decoration and maybe above the glare shield.. i guess to keep the material taught you could fill in between the ribs with foam, similar to chair foam.. But that sounds llike a pain.

All of my sim frame is welded steel tubing so it won't move, it's really solid. The buttons for the vinyl cover can be rivetted on as per the usual way. I was thinking about putting in a few MDF ribs to form the curves then filling the gaps with foam rubber. It's easy to cut foam rubber to shape with an electric kitchen knife, just don't let the missus catch you using it!

Gwyn

AndyT
12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Since I retired from the computer world, I've had time to learn a lot about being a handyman and making household repairs. A product I've really come to admire is FRP. (Pronounced 'Ferp') Its Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic and it can bend an amazing amount before it breaks. I've rolled the stuff up in a tube before. Its stiff and holds its shape very well and can be easily cut to size. If you use it as the inner and outer shell with styrofoam sandwiched inbetween, you will get a very nice soundproofed cockpit shell that in essence weighs very little. It comes smooth one side, or smooth both sides. Its a very durable and easy to clean surface. Its also paintable.

The main drawback? Cost. It runs about $30/sheet US. It comes in standard 4x8 foot sheets.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8566-293-77096&lpage=none

If you get this product and are going to cut it USE A FACE SHIELD AND GLOVES. The saw will throw small peices at high speed and can hurt quite a bit if it hits your face.

Tomlin
12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Andy, this is the stuff that I planned on using too. However, I may also use masonite as the covering- it's 6 bucks a sheet for 4x8'. However, it's not as flexible.

Prof Bill
12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I like to use Fibre Glass but be very cautious!!

I have seen many with consequential medical problems as a result of misuse!

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/healthandsafety.html

The symptoms and problems do not appear in quite a few cases for many years and are often not directly attributable to the initial cause which might well have been building a boat, an aeroplane or whatever in an enclosed space and also not letting the created object age for a period outside not inside.

Take good experienced professional advice before you embark on an internal domestic creation!!

Bill.

Trevor Hale
12-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Prof Bill,

Are you saying, I am going to get Cancer now?

That sucks, I Smoke, I drink, and Now I am a dead man. Guess we all gotta go sometime?

Seriously though, I wasn't aware of any issues.

Guess only time will tell.

Thanks for the tip.

Trev

Tomlin
12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Trevor...the $$$ that could go toward the sim with the cost of smoking...WoW :-)

Good thing cigarettes are not quite $58.00!

Bob Reed
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Trevor...the $$$ that could go toward the sim with the cost of smoking...WoW :-)

Good thing cigarettes are not quite $58.00!

Actually.... Up in the Nanuck where he lives I think they are more!!

AndyT
12-07-2007, 04:42 PM
The money I saved from not smoking could've paid for my PPL.

Trevor Hale
12-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I pay 9 bucks a pack here. and my wife and I both smoke!

Naughty me...

mlscotti
02-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Ok. Its a little late to bring up now but has anyone thought about using thin aluminum. Home depot sells rolls of aluminum for flashing. I thought about using the roll of aluminum on my mdf ribs. Any thoughts?

Bob Reed
02-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Ok. Its a little late to bring up now but has anyone thought about using thin aluminum. Home depot sells rolls of aluminum for flashing. I thought about using the roll of aluminum on my mdf ribs. Any thoughts?

How are you going to fasten it to the ribs? Only other problem I can think of are the joints. Edges will be sharp. But it could work!

Trevor Hale
02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Actually if you could manage to cut the curves right, and not kink the aluminum, the look would be amazing. You could use pan head screws too instead of rivots and they would look awesome.

If you have the time and the patience and your ribs are close enough together, the effect would be awesome.

Trev

BlackWidow
02-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I frequent alot of Homebuilt airplane webpages. I have picked up alot of ideas about how to put together a Sim just by watching how they do it. Simpit building of the Shell and MIP is basicly the same as a KitPlane. I know one flies for real and one doesnt but you get my point.

Davii
04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Just skimmed through a few questions and comments.

Just to let people know..
I fiberglassed two side panels once for a vintage motorbike.. they were quite small. But it really did stink the place out.

When fiberglassing wear all safety gear (e.g Gloves, masks)

And make a mould out of something smooth and shiny. (I say shiny, because you don't want the fiberglass to stick)

And Ali is very good. I use Aliminium off old caravans. Its perfect for bending into shape, and leaves everything smooth.
A tip is make what ever your making out of wood, then put Ali over the top if it.

Thats what my Father did with a pickup to make a cheap truckman top.. looked good too

Just a few pointers.