PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: MIP Who's the best

Upwego
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I want to build a 737NG... What company makes the best MIP. looking for realistic look, feel, color .... a good panel What about the base?

ozziesim
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
You have picked a great place to start looking, make sure you have a good look around the forums here as there is heaps of info here especially on the B737.

There are a few companies who make the MIP but it depends on your budget.
The best ive seen available is engravity.
www.flyengravity.com (http://www.flyengravity.com)

others to look at is
www.flightdecksolutions.com (http://www.flightdecksolutions.com)
www.cockpitsonic.com (http://www.cockpitsonic.com)

Cockpit sonic have dealers throughout the world so you may be able to find one closest to you.

If price is a problem you may have to make your own, there are plenty of diagrams and plans available from members here and im sure they would be happy to help.

Have you looked at westozy's sim yet, gwyn made his MIP out of 6mm grey coloured plastic, just another option if you wish.

happy flying

Michael Carter
12-02-2007, 12:43 AM
I want to build a 737NG... What company makes the best MIP. looking for realistic look, feel, color .... a good panel What about the base?

Boeing. Period.

Welcome to the site!

vidarf
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
If you have the $$$, Flyengravity in my mind have the best level of details. I ended up ordering my MIP from FDS because of integrated backlighting (IBL). I own an overhead and the FMC from FlyEngravity, and have the MCP from FDS. Both manufacturers makes great products!
My MIP was ordered some time ago, but I won't get it yet. I placed an order at a time when FDS had a huge backlog (I knew that when I ordered!), and in addition they're working on a new version of the MIP. I will be one of the first who get it! :) And - I am actually happy that I haven't received my MIP yet. That way, I can focus on finishing my overhead! I also have a DIY throttle Quadrant kit from Simparts.de that needs attention.

MAN, this is a LOT of work! :) But it is fun as "#¤%&/%¤&!

Good luck!

Oh, and I would recommend you to check out both FlyEngravity and FDS. Don't go for a cheap solution just because you can't afford the whole shbang just yet. Rome wasn't built in a day! And you could easily end up with a semi-decent thingy that just don't give you the right feeling. Which is the goal for a sim anyway...

Bob Reed
12-02-2007, 01:54 PM
You can't look at any of the products and say one is better then the other any more. It is like comparing apples to oranges. You have to look at what each company offers for a product. So it comes down to more of what is it you want in a product.. Can you do the back lighting yourself and so forth. You need to look at each product and see what it offers. Make your decision that way not just on price or someone saying one is better then the other. Do your own research and make your decisions on your project based on your own conclusions.. Yes it is good to be able to ask others what they think but at the end of the day I doubt any of those people will be there to help you build your simulator! :D So take your time and think about your choices!

Upwego
12-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, What I'm try to say , It's hard to compare a apple
to a apple, when I never have sat in the cockpit of a 737. It's hard to compare panel A to B to C when i have never touched a real MIP. A may make the best looking panel and the most used, however C may be more realistic. There are so many panels out there, with out the ability for a side by side look, like at a trade show.......... I have to get all the input from other builders. The first part i will buy is the MIP.... I don't want to look
back five years from now, and says Wrong O.

Thanks to all

Steve

Michael Carter
12-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I hope you find what you are looking for. My comment in my first post may have sounded flippant, but building an unsupported, retired, and mostly scrapped aircraft has it's advantages at times.

I either had to manufacture my own panel or use the real 727 MIP. 727 parts are cheaper that off-the-shelf aftermarket 737 parts by a long shot.

It was pretty much a no brainer in my case. I'm very satisfied with the quality of Boeing panels. Unfortunately for builders of newer aircraft, they don't have that luxury of using the actual panels unless you have a lot of cash and excellent connections in the aircraft spares industry.

I can say this with confidence; the only 100% correct panel will be one that was previously installed in an aircraft.

vidarf
12-03-2007, 03:10 PM
And we shall not forget the MOST important thing: You have to decide what's important to you. For my part, I want the panels I buy to be as realistic as I possibly can get them. And I am willing to pay for that. Others might think differently.

One thing though: I will ALLWAYS be willing to help out with any 'pitbuild. Just don't expect that all parts will be there when I leave... :)

IVA739
07-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Regardless of just the MIP, any part, can you mix and match? Like let's say I want an FMC from Cockpitsonic and an FMC bay from Flyengravity. Are most of these accurate enough products where there shouldn't be an issue with this?

Trevor Hale
07-05-2009, 10:13 AM
You may run into some situations where this would be something that would require a little nip tuck here or there. But for the most part you would be ok. However with that being said.. I would stick to one company for the entire component for example. If you buy the MIP From Engravity. Completely finish the MIP Parts in Engravit parts. Then maybe buy the Overhead from somone else, or the Pedistal from someone else.

But to be honest. Engravity can't be beat.

If you are able to plan a trip, Try to come to FSWeekend in November and touch the panels for yourself.

IVA739
07-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Where is FSWeekend located? I like the look of the Engravity panels but my concern is that I would have to backlight it myself. If you have any input on this that would be helpful. Also like with the Cockpitsonic, correct me if I am wrong, it doesn't appear the overhead has a mount included so I'd have to buy a different company's mount which concerns me, the fact that it may not fit. Thanks for the input.

IVA739
07-05-2009, 11:29 AM
One other quick question. The Cockpit Sonic front panel for the 737 says you need 2 19" monitors and one 15" monitor. I guess I'm confused seeing as how there are like 5 places for monitors. Help would be much appreciated :p http://www.cockpitsonicusa.com/oxid.php/sid/febbea710c1d31eb745bbaa100552c86/cl/details/cnid/208442fdfd8352e98.31328319/anid/b7b437255e9296e79.49648101/B737-DUAL-Seat-Trainer-Flight-Training-Device-(FTD)/

One other thing. I am sure this is going to be the stupidest question you have ever heard on these forums. How do I create the outside view. Yes I am serious lol. Do I need like a projector or something?

dnoize
07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Where is FSWeekend located?

The Netherlands. The biggest FS event worldwide. A lot of visitors of MC.org worldwide will visit.

I like the look of the Engravity panels but my concern is that I would have to backlight it myself. If you have any input on this that would be helpful.

Thats not entirely correct. The Performance line Pro comes with internally backlit panels by default. For the desktop kits and the regular Performance Line backlit panels are available as an upgrade.

see this link:
http://www.flyengravity.com/page/shop/14

Scroll down to halfway the page.

The backlit panels only needs a 12 volts line. There is also a backlight controller available that can adjust brightness for 3 seperate channels independently of eachother, so you can adjust brightness for the captains section, the first officers section and the glare flood independently of eachoter as in the real aircraft

Also like with the Cockpitsonic, correct me if I am wrong, it doesn't appear the overhead has a mount included so I'd have to buy a different company's mount which concerns me, the fact that it may not fit. Thanks for the input.

As far as i know all vendors sell their overheads without mounts. Mounts are available with most of the major vendors for their overheads.

Engravity sells a overhead mount and a case/cover seperately.

See this brochure for the FWD overhead (also Available for AFT overhead):

http://www.flyengravity.com/download/24

Stef

http://www.flyengravity.com/products/large_00000064_0001.jpg

dnoize
07-05-2009, 12:43 PM
One other quick question. The Cockpit Sonic front panel for the 737 says you need 2 19" monitors and one 15" monitor. I guess I'm confused seeing as how there are like 5 places for monitors. Help would be much appreciated

One 19 inch widescreen for both PFD and ND, covers both perfectly.

the 15 inch is probably for a ISIS setup. It will not fit if you use hardware gauges.

One other thing. I am sure this is going to be the stupidest question you have ever heard on these forums. How do I create the outside view. Yes I am serious lol. Do I need like a projector or something?

some use 1 or more video projector, some use large tft or plasma presentation screens. I prefer video projectors.

Stef

IVA739
07-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be making the trip to Norway from colorado xD. Do you have a link for the Performance Line Pro because I couldn't find the Pro series besides the MCP, EFIS, Etc. Also Stef what do you mean by it will not fit if I use hardware gauges?

dnoize
07-05-2009, 02:50 PM
a 15 inch tft will most likely not fit between landing gear lever and hardware standby instruments....

btw...fsweekend is in the netherlands, not norway.

The pro line is not in the shop, but you can allways mail for a brochure.
The Pro line was originally (2006) meant for fully build dual seat training devices (see: http://www.flyengravity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280) , but the panel kit is available seperately too (aluminium backpanels, aluminium bezels for pfd/nd/eicas and standby's, internally backlit toppanels including lower subpanels and all anunciators).

In the future the pro line will replace the regular performance line as all panels will be internally backlit by default (exept for the desktop: internally backlit panels will remain a upgrade for those kits).

Stef

IVA739
07-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Netherlands Norway all 12 hour plane trip from home xD

IVA739
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
If you had a price on the MIP Pro that was announced in 2006 that would be much appreciated.

dnoize
07-05-2009, 06:43 PM
If you had a price on the MIP Pro that was announced in 2006 that would be much appreciated.

completely build ? or as a kit ?

stef

IVA739
07-05-2009, 06:55 PM
The price of the kit one. The Pro with built in back lights etc. http://www.flyengravity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280 Just out of curiosity what's the complete one as well?