PDA

View Full Version : CRJ Radio Module attmept 1

BlackWidow
11-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Ok so I have been messing and here is my first attempt at the Radio Module for the CRJ http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/uploads/554/radio_module.jpg

Michael Carter
11-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Precisely lined and cut holes are why I abandoned trying to cut my own 727 instrument panel. It was more expensive to buy, but a lot faster to install.

About $400 US for the entire instrument panel over to the landing gear panel with only three Korry indicators missing (two of which I picked up for $30) and all switches included. some of which I deleted for the -231 model.

No one would be able to touch that in the third-party world.

Do you have a CNC machine? I'm not certain about this, but the light plates use a continuous radius around the panel fastener cutouts. No squaring of the cutouts are used at least on Boeing specified equipment. Might be different for your manufacturer though.

Trevor Hale
11-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Ok so I have been messing and here is my first attempt at the Radio Module for the CRJ

Stunning.

Looks great. I can't wait to see your first completed radio. I think you will find great joy as I did building your own panels.

Happy Cutting. If you mark your material with pencil and measure twice and cut once, you will get the results your looking for.

Great work!

Trev

BlackWidow
11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
The great thing about where i work is i have access to a flow jet and CNC machines.

BlackWidow
11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Well I had the radio module cut today as a test so here it is with the PSOne LCD screen. I still have to have the back milled so that the screen will fit perfectly in its new home and the guys did forget to add the circle cut out but nothing I cant do with a drill press and I think I will do as BSW suggested and have a bevel placed all the way around the frame. Also I think the holse for the panel mount fastners needs to be opened up a little.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/uploads/554/rm1.jpg

Trevor Hale
11-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Fantastic work. Looks outstanding.

Michael Carter
11-29-2007, 09:24 AM
In case you're needing the measurement, the cutouts for the mounting plate holes are 11.5mm across.

Looks good!

BlackWidow
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Perfect thanks I was trying to figure that out with THE BEST GUESS lol

mlscotti
11-29-2007, 11:45 AM
What material do people use when making there own panels, both the main panel and the individual instruments. I had a piece of pvc type plastic from the old modeling days.. Anyone have a better idea for basic woodworking tools?

Michael Carter
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I have used acrylic in the past but have switched to PVC Type II for it's durability.

My panels have been completed for some time, and the last of them are being replaced with Boeing equipment, but I'm now using the PVC for instrument bezels.

It's quite durable, easy to work, and will not crack or shatter as acrylic does during some operations.

You can cut it with a jig or scroll saw, it files and sands well, and readily takes a variety of paint.

It's not suitable for backlit panels, but it's great for just about anything else.

Tomlin
11-29-2007, 12:30 PM
What's a good source for said material?

mlscotti
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
I have used acrylic in the past but have switched to PVC Type II for it's durability.

My panels have been completed for some time, and the last of them are being replaced with Boeing equipment, but I'm now using the PVC for instrument bezels.

It's quite durable, easy to work, and will not crack or shatter as acrylic does during some operations.

You can cut it with a jig or scroll saw, it files and sands well, and readily takes a variety of paint.

It's not suitable for backlit panels, but it's great for just about anything else.
Wheres a good place to buy.. internet?

Trevor Hale
11-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I Use MDF and 1/4" Lexan. I prefer Lexan as it is more durable then Plexi.

Michael Carter
11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
McMaster-Carr out of Chicago has numerous raw materials at affordable prices.

Google for their website.

BlackWidow
12-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Here is the prototype of the CRJ FMC.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/uploads/554/fmc.jpg

My plan is to have Plexi cut into the shapes of the Buttons and use EL lighting under them. Like Marius has done with his FMC. Unless of course someone has a better solution.

Mike

Michael Carter
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Looks good. I notice that you have a continuous radius on the backplate mounting cutouts.

BlackWidow
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Yes although it is not updated in this post the Radio Module has been redone and looks like that too. actually I will see if i can update that image.

Michael Carter
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
The Dzus fasteners will fit right in there.:)