PDA

View Full Version : Any X-Plane 'pit builders?

s4sha
11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Greetings fellow aviation sim addicts!

I am both a MSFS and X-Plane nut, and was wondering if there is anyone using X-Plane as the primary software for their 'pit. I currently use MSFS with Naturalpoint's TrackIR, or X-Plane with a second PC and projector (InFocus). I'd just like to hear from both users when considering which to use for the sim (interface, ease-of-use, cost, etc.)

Thanks for the input!

dodiano
11-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Wow! ANy chance we can get pictures of your setup??

Roberto

s4sha
11-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Well, Roberto, it's not much to look at now-- I use a CH Products Yoke and Pedals, and when running MSFS I use a TrackIR(www.naturalpoint.com), OR when running X-Plane (www.x-plane.com) I use my primary PC for intrument display and controls and then a second pc to provide the forward view via a DLP projector. X-Plane is VERY easy to network for a multiple-monitor setup.

I realize there is a HUGE community of sim builders using MSFS with FSUIPC, etc., but I don't hear much about X-Plane being used as a basis for the home cockpit builder.

Bob Reed
11-23-2005, 01:55 AM
One of the reasons is X-Plane will not work with Project Magenta. That simple.

s4sha
11-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm not absolutely sure, but from what I understand you don't need it. You can run multiple pc's with custom instrument-only views, sized to your liking, all receiving data from the "server". Just curious if anyone else has experience with it...

W9XE/Project777
11-23-2005, 10:48 AM
I think what Bob is talking about is the way Project Magenta handles the instrumentation. You actually can move around the instruments on the display behind window opening as on the MIP. Can you do this with x-plane? I haven't heard of any third party software for x-plane that will let you do to it what PM does for MSFS.

I have always been interested in x-plane but never had any of the newer versions to see how the quality is in the product.

I used to be a beta tester for Terminal Reality for Fly! and FlyII. That was really a nice piece of software especially in the cockpit. There gauges were way ahead of MS. It's a shame they never continued with that as well.

We will have to see what the future brings and what MS will do with FS in 2006

s4sha
11-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Yes you can do that with X-Plane right out of the box. You can create any size and position any instrument how you need to. You can even create custom instruments using photos for photorealism, or just make up your own. It will help to be photoshop-saavy.

ALSO - in case anyone using X-Plane is interested, new world-wide scenery is available at www.x-plane.com!

fyrb0t
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
nope, no, none.

macisaac
12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I am in the process of building a 737-300 flight deck powered by X-Plane. I have 2 machine networked for the avionics and a 3rd acting as the flight model and external views. Hardware interfacing consists of a couple of Leo's boards and a bunch of go-flight products (the only Mac compatible hardware out there). X-plane has incredible cockpit building tools that can be used on many machines to provide you with almost any gauge and display. I am working with the XHSI, a stand alone Hi Res HSI for x-plane to provide the half glass cockpit of the -300's. Not a lot of options with X-plane yet, but building from scratch is half the fun.

Cheers

BlackWidow
12-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I have been delving into useing Xplane as a simpit. I want to use both flight sims in one simpit and I think it is very doable. With XUIPC the Project Magenta problem has been pretty muched solved. And now i am seeing more and more places starting to offer compatability with Xplane.

No Longer Active
12-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I really do like x-plane. I have been playing with it round my friends house but never seen it used in a sim.

Can anyone tell me if simkits gauges would work with x-plane?

Thanks.

Alex

http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/Plane.gif

ryanf
12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi All,

I have been using X-Plane in my GA simulator. I use a PFC Cirrus II console with GoFlight hardware (using Goflight X-Plane plugin) and CH-Pro rudder pedals. Outside view is projected onto screen and instrumentation is with PM GAIFR - thanks to XUIPC plugin!

So my setup runs both X-Plane and FSX with the same hardware. I have had some problems with it but I think these are mostly bugs that will eventually get sorted out. I have not recently had time to try out the latest 9.4 full release - was on a 9.4 release candidate and there was some annoying bugs that made it unflyable but these kind of severe problems are rare. I had been using it fairly successfully before then.

The main issue I saw with X-Plane was getting the feel of the controls just right - this takes a bit of time to tune the handling as X-Plane is very customizable. Graphics quality is excellent but commercial scenery add-ons are still way behind those available for MSFS. Also, last time I checked, the Goflight plugin did not support all functions that are available in the MSFS version but that I'm sure will change soon also.

It's well worth a try in my view but to get it running 100% you need to commit to it for a while.

/Ryan.

Spyy
12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
One of the reasons is X-Plane will not work with Project Magenta. That simple.

Hi Bob,

try the Project Magenta Boeing things (MCP, PFD, CDU, etc.) with X-Plane and XPUIPC.....

Thanks

Torsten

BlackWidow
12-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Hello all

I recently decided to give FSXPand a try and i must say i was quite impressed. So i decided to see if it worked in Xplane with the new version. It did not work at first after a few emails with Gert he found the problem and sent me a patch This morning i am happy to say that FSXpand works with Xplane. Which is great news for those Xplane simpit builders looking for gauges that can be networked. A cool thing for me is that when flying FSX and useing FSXpand I can easily shut down and Start Xplane and all of my gauges are the exact same and in the same position. Pretty cool