PDA

View Full Version : Best Method of Program Transfer??

Michael Carter
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I've been reading alot about the different file and program transfer options on the web.

I don't want to have to reload FS and all of the add-ons (not many) within it.

I'm most concerned about getting my instrument panel trnsfered to the new syste.

Can someone recommend what I should use or what you have done in the past?

I was thinking FTP or some sort of program transfer software and my network.

The Windows transfer program will not transfer program files. What I would like to do is transfer the entire FS folder to the new system. Is this possible to do without problems?

BlackWidow
11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I might be wrong but i would asume that you could make a copy of your entire FS folder then (I am assuming your talking about a new PC) Instsall FS then cut and paste the copied FS folder over the installed FS on the new PC. My reason is that i think FS needs to be installed so that all the registry files are all good. But I am no expert in this field personaly i would just copy the important files that i do not want to loose and start with a fresh install of FS and reload all my programs then just copy all the files that that are the most important like FSUIPC Config files oor Wide Server Config Files. Anyway i hope I have helped.

Tony
11-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi,
Just copy the entire fs9 dir to the new PC .
Done this twice already without any problem.

Deesystems
11-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Have your new system setup with FS then copy the FS files over.

One way to do it is to use a disk Synchronize program.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DSynchronize/1147804268/1

Dee

Michael Carter
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Do you mean just copy and paste the files into FS on the new system?

Like my 727, the instrument panel, etc?

Will the registry take care of itself, or do I have to add or alter the registry?

That's the only thing I worry about is how will the registry react to files that are just cut and pasted to a folder. Or is this an issue at all?

Bob Reed
11-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey BSW, it is not an issue at all.. I think ,and this is how I have done it in the past, I would install FS on the new machine and then copy what you want from the old machine FS directory, scenery, aircraft ext..., yes copy and paste. When you start FS it will pick up what has been added and changed....

Michael Carter
11-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks Bob!

I'm just trying to get all of this straight before the system shows up Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm not too computer savy. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Bob Reed
11-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks Bob!

I'm just trying to get all of this straight before the system shows up Tuesday or Wednesday.

Don't we all??!!!!:D

jmig
11-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks Bob!

Most add on aircraft don't use the registry file. You do need to install S9.FSX first, however. If you use 3rd party scenery and landcass stuff, that may need to be reinstalled. Same for add on weather and ATC programs.

Michael Carter
11-11-2007, 10:35 PM
That's what I was hoping to avoid. I guess it's enevitable.

I'll have to re-install German Airports 1, UT Europe, the DF727, Fly Tampa Vienna, freeware de Gaulle, Salzberg, Amsterdam, and probaby a dozen others.

I may as well get used to the fact I'll have to do a total installation.

Gsey
11-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Hey BSW, sorry I missed this one. In the past I have completey copied the fs9 directry to a new hardrive by plugging the old hardrive with fs9 on it into the new system and tranfering directly to the new hardrive. Once transfered I ran a freeware program called FS9 registry utility which rebuilds the registry for fs9 on the new machine. I dont remember having any problems with addons but it has been quite a while since I did that so cant recall.

http://tweakfs.com/news/free_files.htm

Gary

Michael Carter
11-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Does having a copy of Win XP Pro on the donor drive have any effect on the new machine's drive with XP Pro installed too?

Gsey
11-12-2007, 12:53 AM
No. Only the new drive will be setup as the master boot disk in bios. The old disk will be the slave.

To so this you will need to change the jumper on the back of the old hardrive from master to slave. I then connect that in line with the cd or dvd cable which plugs into the secondary ide plug on the motherboard.

Gary

Michael Carter
11-12-2007, 01:10 AM
OK, thanks. I might try this. And thanks for the link to the utilities.

Gsey
11-12-2007, 01:19 AM
No problem. If you get stuck you can always network your two comps together and transfer your files that way.

Gary

spitfire9
11-12-2007, 01:28 AM
If you paste the fs9 folder on to the new harddrive ... what happens to that 'documents and settings/application data/microsoft/fs9 folder,,,, would you need to copy that as well to the new harddrive?

It as the .cfg files in it.

Bob Reed
11-12-2007, 01:44 AM
When you start S9 for the first time it will write new default ones.

Gsey
11-12-2007, 01:47 AM
If I rememeber correctly, that directry only gets written after opening fs9 for the first time.

If you made chandes to the cfg (who Hasnt) then just follow normal procedure of making a backup and put the old file in its place.

Gary

Thanks Bob...thats what I thought.

Bob Reed
11-12-2007, 01:50 AM
If I rememeber correctly, that directry only gets written after opening fs9 for the first time.

If you made chandes to the cfg (who Hasnt) then just follow normal procedure of making a backup and put the old file in its place.

Gary

Thanks Bob...thats what I thought.

Yes this should work.