PDA

View Full Version : What is the way to go?

Edc
11-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi all, im in the planing stage of a 737ng sim, and was wondering what the best way of making the screen is?

I have taken a look at this one:
http://www.northernflightsim.com/projectionscreen.shtml

Must say i like that way, and it shouldent be that hard to build something that is close to that.

Money is not a big issue, but it dont have to cost tenthousands of dollars.

any ideas?

Tomlin
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi there Edc

First off, Welcome to MyCockpit.org! Lots of great help and a good sense of community here.

I know that without these guys here, I would be much farther behind than where I am now, and some things would have caused me to pull my hair out, so go ahead and ask questions all you want! Just remember that the search function is very valuable, and will often save you lots of time waiting for a response.

In this case though, I would say your question is a very good one. At this time, unless someone has come out or has access to the software, projecting FS on a screen like the one you mentioned would be quite a challenge. I would almost say nearly impossible, because when those screens are used, a special software is in place to warp the projected image to conformation with the screen.

Many hours have been put into this sort of thing by Matt O. here at MC.org, so Im sure he could jump in and elaborate, but it would be wise to start looking at other visual systems by folks such as NicD. His is (to me) a Gold Standard of FS display techniques.

Best of luck!

Edc
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Thx Tomlin.

So a curved picture is hard to do?

Whit the way NicD have done it, is it posible to gett 180-200 degree?

Matt Olieman
11-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Edc and Welcome to MyCockpit.org.

Yes, curved screens are hard to build, not only is it hard to build, you have to have the right projectors to compensate for curved screen. An inexpensive projector would project the edges out of focus. It gets complicated :)

I have to admit the link you provide for the curved screen has intrigued me :)

Tomlin
11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Thx Tomlin.

So a curved picture is hard to do?

Whit the way NicD have done it, is it posible to gett 180-200 degree?

Stroll on over to http://www.insitesolutions.com.au/737project/design_visuals_testing.htm to get an idea of what he's accomplished!

Edc
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
When i look at some of the pix that is on NicD`s website, the sidescreens dont have a flat surface. why is that?