PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions or ideas?

737NUT
11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
This time around i want to make a master wireing diagram of my cockpit and not just a bunch of sribbled notes. What easy to use and cheap or free software do you guys use or recommend to make schematics?
thanks,
Rob

AndyT
11-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Good question. Let me narrow down your choices.

Do you want a schematic diagram (regular circut pathways) or do you want a physical diagram of where each item is and where it connects to (physical layout map) ??

Matt Olieman
11-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I use a CAD program.

737NUT
11-04-2007, 12:04 AM
A physical layout map would be ok but really what i had in mind would be simple square or rectangle representing the component, then show the connections w/wire color, pin number if applicable, and some nomenclature. Make sense?
Rob

AndyT
11-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Yes, it makes sense. That is a physical layout map type of diagram.
You already have one you can use if you have Windows. Its called 'Paint' and while it may not be the most advanced software on the planet, it is VERY easy to use. For something more advanced, I would suggest Visio. Its designed to do just what you are looking for. Layout work.

Jim NZ
11-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Rob,

I use TinyCAD, its free as well !!

Its available here http://tinycad.sourceforge.net

On my page http://www.jimspage.co.nz/power.htm you can see a simple example of what it can do. (Second diagram, the relay box one)

Jim

Kennair
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Rob,

I've done a lot of block diagram including circuit layouts using the drawing functions in Microsoft Excel. Really easy to draw round and square objects along with lines, arrows, and various other shapes. Add text, vary colour and have a different section of the sim in its own worksheet all saved in the one workbook. No need to get your head around the miriad thingies in a CAD program. Similar can be done in Word. Of course this assumes that you have Excel!

Obviously limitations over CAD software but it works for me.

Ken.