PDA

View Full Version : PC help required!

Westozy
11-15-2005, 05:56 AM
I am going to build a fresh PC for my sim when it is finished. I hope somebody can help me and tell me how to do it. I can make the physical side of the build happen, see Westozy's pics, but the PC stuff is over my head! My mate Dean had a 777 setup with Project Magenta gear and he says PMDG, (which he has converted to), will do the split monitors/projector thing on the one PC. Which 3-head video card to get and which projector to use etc. PMDG is great software and a pleasure to use. Are any members of ifsbi able to advise me? I know nothing of these matters! I will probably upgrade to better display options and hardware later on, but for now I just want to try and keep it basic and get it going.
Gwyn (Westozy)

Rodney
11-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Not an issue at all. I claim to do this for a hobby, er living. Whats you budget for it? Plenty of ram, and a fast HDD is my recommendation.

ekezz
12-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi,
I'm curious to see what you are planning or already purchased. I built my first PC in July and it was much fun. To gain some knowledge I read hardware magazines and puzzled all the components to go with my budget.
One of the lessons was to buy a power supply with plenty of capacity on all voltages.
Checkout my website blog for details.
If any questions drop me an email, am pleased to give my help if required.
Kester

Matt Olieman
12-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Kester, thank you for your offer and support. Our Flight-Sim Building community needs people like you to help others.

BTW, you're the first person that I know of, that got the AVATAR to work. Wha'ts your secret? :D

Westozy
12-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Thank you, much appreciated. I'm still a long way from needing the PC yet but I will seek you out when the time comes.

ekezz
12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Matt,
in the profile there are two options.
Upload Avatar from your machine and
Upload Avatar from a URL

The first one did not work so I used the second one.

Here is my workaround:
- created the avatar file 1kester.jpg (max 80x80 pixels)
- uploaded (FTP) it to my own site http://fly.ekezz.com
- put the URL http://fly.ekezz.com/1kester.jpg in the Upload Avatar from a URL box
- pressed Submit
And there it is.
Hope it works for you as well. Good luck.
Kester

Bob Reed
12-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey Kester thanks for the avatar help!!! It Works..... :shock: :D

Westozy
12-14-2005, 05:00 AM
Q. What is AVATAR? Never heard of that one!

Matt Olieman
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
<<<<<<< See my ugly mug shot..... that's a nice way of saying AVATAR :lol:

ekezz
12-14-2005, 01:34 PM
An icon which represents a user in a virtual reality/Internet setting, currently attempted with varying success.
The term is adopted from Neal Stephenson; another word used for the same concept is Rudy Rucker's term "tuxedo."

First used from an Internet perspective in 1992 in SNOW CRASH, by Neal Stephenson, in one of those self-fulfilling SF prophecies. Stephenson got the name from the Hindu concept of avatars, which are the personification of various deities or entities.